Options
2»

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    James6363 wrote: »
    I don’t need to accept the loan if it is cheaper to pay cash and I already have a couple of the smaller 5% accounts.

So the answer would appear to be, take the 2.9%apr loan over 2 years as the interest on the £12000 savings would cover the cost of the loan??

Still trying to work out how you do not already know which is cheaper....

Pay 2.9% to a bank to borrow £12,000
    vs
    Lose out on 1.5% interest from money you already have

Any way - good luck with your new car.
  • James6363
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice so far.
    I now have a few more details:
    The bank loan over 1 year would cost £1015.58 per month, which gives a total repayment of £12186.85 for the year.
    The interest on £12000 at 1.5% would be £180 (no tax payable)
    Therefore the actual cost of the loan for 1 year would be £6.85
    If however I pay cash for the car, the cost would be the loss of interest for the year (£180) although this would be offset by the interest on the payment of £1015.58 that I would repay into the 1.5% saving account.
    I think my question is, would this repayment into savings come close to covering the £180 lost by the initial payment. If not then it would appear that a one year loan would be the preferred option…
    How would these figures work for a 2 year loan costing £515.05 per month?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Naaaa, paying cash and putting £1000 a month back into your savings would be the best way to buy the car.

But you sound like your going to take a loan anyway so good luck to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 February 2019 at 2:02PM
    Options
    James6363 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the advice so far.
    I now have a few more details:
    The bank loan over 1 year would cost £1015.58 per month, which gives a total repayment of £12186.85 for the year.
    The interest on £12000 at 1.5% would be £180 (no tax payable)
    Therefore the actual cost of the loan for 1 year would be £6.85
    If however I pay cash for the car, the cost would be the loss of interest for the year (£180) although this would be offset by the interest on the payment of £1015.58 that I would repay into the 1.5% saving account.
    I think my question is, would this repayment into savings come close to covering the £180 lost by the initial payment. If not then it would appear that a one year loan would be the preferred option…
    How would these figures work for a 2 year loan costing £515.05 per month?

Your. Basic ssumtption about how much you would lose on interest is totally wrong.
    In month one you'd lose one month interest on all 12000 next month you'd put 1000 back so you'd lose one months interest on 11k next month on 10k and so on. Roughly it works out youdlose the interest on half the 12k so you'd actually lose about £90 in missed interest not £180.

So as said by everyone it's cheaper to forgo the interest than pay nearly double to borrow it. IT MUST BE because if it isn't everyone should be rushing off to borrow money at 2.9% and invest it at 1.5%. What could possibly be wrong with that eh?
  • overlander
    Options
    I can only speak from experience of buying a nearly new car 3 years ago. NO dealer was interested in selling me a car using cash as they said they would make a loss selling at the sticker price. They made the profit on the finance which in my case was the way to go. Took the finance and settled it early 6 months later win win.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    overlander wrote: »
    I can only speak from experience of buying a nearly new car 3 years ago. NO dealer was interested in selling me a car using cash as they said they would make a loss selling at the sticker price. They made the profit on the finance which in my case was the way to go. Took the finance and settled it early 6 months later win win.

It would have been an even bigger win if you'd settled in 14 days and therefore not had to pay any interest.

And they would have sold you it for cash if you'd got up and started walking out the door. The claim they're making a loss selling at the sticker price is a complete and utter lie.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    It is always cheaper to borrow your own money. Unless you want to see if you can find accounts paying over 2.9% it is more MSE to use savings.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure