Gallygirl's "A journey of 121,226.67 pounds begins with a single penny" diary

Options
gallygirl
gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 3 January 2011 at 9:58AM in Mortgage-free wannabe
smiley-signs060.gif

Best I could come up with for a title :o. For those who haven't come across me before, HERE is my old diary. Hopefully I will keep this one to 2016 when I will be totally mortgage free :)

2011 challenges.

Mortgage #1
£19,546.15 Currently
0 Target

Mortgages 2 & 3
£101,668.64 Currently
£94,803.11 Projected end of 2011
£90,000 Target (mortgages - savings)

BTL Mortgage on Late Mum's House
£27,056 Currently
£25,489.36 Projected end of 2011
£23,000 Target

In addition to that I have set myself some other goals. Some easy to measure, others a bit more subjective:
1 June I will decorate the living room and buy new sofas
2 August I will reach my target weight (the 'real' one, not the official one. I will get below 11 stone) and stay there
3 August I will have no mortgage on my house
4 August I will be fabulous at 50!!!!!
5 October I will have a garden I am proud of
6 December I will read 12 books off the BBC list
7 Ongoing I will continue sell all possible things on ebay
8 Ongoing I will start entering competitions again (& flog everything I win)
9 Ongoing I will exercise for 30 mins at least once a week
10 Ongoing I will meet up with friends at least once a month
11 Ongoing I will continue loving life & thanking the Universe for all its' gifts

Here goes folks!

gg x
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
:) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
"Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"

Comments

• gallygirl
    edited 23 December 2011 at 6:05AM
    Options
    2012 Challenges

Mortgage #1
    £35,627 Currently
    £28,808 Target - based on normal mortgage payments (which is quite a bit higher than needed) + regular OP of £200 into offset.

Mortgage #2
    £59,236 Currently
    £54,549 Target (normal payments only)

Mortgage #3
    £37,022 Currently
    £35,226 Target (normal payments only)

BTL Mortgage on Late Mum's House
    £17,872 Currently
    £0 Target :eek:

Overall Mortgages
    £149,757 Currently
    £118,583 Target
    £31,174 Reduction :rotfl:

In addition to that I have set myself some other goals. Some easy to measure, others a bit more subjective:
    1. No more accidental house purchases :rotfl::rotfl:
    2. By Easter - paint bathroom
    August I will reach my target weight (the 'real' one, not the official one. I will get below 11 stone) and stay there. This was last year's and I have failed miserably, but have seen a few photos recently and not happy - am still 3 stone lighter than I was but want to lose more :o
    4. October I will have a garden I am proud of. Another carried forward :o.
    5. June - bottom corner of garden to have tiny seating area and new bit of fence.
    6 December I will read 12 books off the BBC list. Another carried forward :o. Santa is bringing me a Kindle so have a load on there already, now all I need to do is read them :D.
    7 Ongoing I will continue sell all possible things on ebay. Another carried forward, but achieved in 2011.
    8 Ongoing I will start entering competitions again (& flog everything I win). Another carried forward :o.
    9 Ongoing I will exercise for 30 mins at least once a week Another carried forward :o, did it for a little while.
    10 Ongoing I will meet up with friends at least once a month. Another carried forward, but achieved in 2011.
    11 Ongoing I will continue loving life & thanking the Universe for all its' gifts. Another carried forward, but mainly achieved in 2011.
    12. Decided I would like to meet some MSEers in 2012 :cool:.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • gallygirl
    edited 1 January 2013 at 4:53PM
    Options
    2013 Challenges

1. Reduce debt to Mr GG:
    Start - £57,032
    Target - £38,176
    Reduction - £18,856
    This should be doable.

2. Reduce overall mortgage debt:
    Start - £118,936
    Target - £86,908
    Reduction - £32,028
    This is harder. Basically, the mortgages will reduce by around 13k anyway and the rest comes from me, paying off Mr GG debt. The problem here is that not all the money I pay off the debt to Mr GG is physical money - e.g. I paid for Xmas pressies for friends children so credit the debt total (or is it debit it??????) with 1/2 the cost which Mr GG should have paid. So the debt will reduce without savings necessarily increasing each time IYSWIM.

3. Weight. Really need to tackle this - again :(. Starting off with no alcohol for 3 weeks till hol, then again when I get back till Easter hols (unless something big on). Realistically need to lose 1.5 stone :eek:. Would like to lose more though :eek::eek::eek:.

4. Exercise. Linked to 3 obviously. Started well, according to myfitnesspal I have already done my cardiovascular exercise for the week :T. Just another 51 to go then :rotfl:. Think I am entitled to sit on sofa for a whole and watch Obese: 1 year to save my life ;).

5. Eating/cooking/shopping. Again, linked to 3. Not done too bad in past year, need to continue to meal plan, batch cook etc.

6. Spending. Took a while to convince me the separate bank account with lots of pots worked but now I like it :T. Need to cut down on all spends that don't fit in the categories :o. Will keep it going till end of March, as that's when I started it, and replan budget then for next year.

7. Garden. Sort out as cheaply as possible. Stones and retaining bit of treated wood for bottom of garden won't cost much. [STRIKE]Need Want Need Want [/STRIKE] would like 2 steamer chairs and low table. May compromise on THIS :rotfl:. Seriously, once stones are down I will move the bench from the front and put down there. If I do use the corner the way I envisage I will look to get something. No good leaving bench there as it's not v comfy :(.

Think I'll stop at Lucky 7 :D.

ETA:

8. Learn to swim PROPERLY, i.e. without head sticking out of water :o. Swimming is the only exercise I really enjoy, apart from walking, but it gives me headaches as it puts strain on my neck. Have just sent email about 1 2 1 lessons. Won't be cheap :eek:.
  • gallygirl
    edited 4 January 2014 at 10:12AM
    Options
    2014 Challenges

1. Reduce debt to Mr GG:
    Target Reduction of 20k.
    This should be doable.

2. Reduce overall mortgage debt:
    Planning on selling one btl and buying another, cheaper so don't really know what overall picture will be.

3. Weight:
    Get to target weight - and stay there this time :o. Race you Helen :D.

4. Exercise:
    To be honest, I'm basically too lazy :o. But will be doing a lot of walking and some swimming.

5. Eating/cooking/shopping:
    Yup, will definitely be eating :D. Will be planning etc all the way, using Aldi, especially Super Six, and coupons.

6. Spending:
    Continue with separate pots. Remind myself it is 'real money' :rotfl:.

7. Garden:
    Will set a target of NOT buying steamer chairs :cool:.
    The soil is heavy clay and would need thousands to correct - large drainage channels, remove clay, replace with topsoil. That's not going to happen. But I have enjoyed eating salad leaves (had some on Xmas Eve :xmassign:) and tomatoes, will continue with this and strawbs and see what else I can do :).

8. Learn to swim PROPERLY:
    See how much I can remember :rotfl: and practice. A few times at least before the summer.

9. Make time for friends and family, don't sweat the small stuff, keep house clean & tidy (including Room of Doom :eek:).

10. Work hard and keep job :eek:. As that is needed for all the above to happen.

There, that should keep me off the streets for a while.
  • gallygirl
    edited 3 May 2014 at 12:50PM
    Options
    10 Retirement Steps:

1. Sell BTL 1.
    2. Buy new BTL (1a) around 20k cheaper and easier to maintain.
    3. Pay difference between 1 and 1a off the mortgage of BTL 2 to clear altogether, will leave savings untouched. (Much cogitation needed as would lose the tax relief. However, as the mortgage balance is around 20k and mortgage rate is 2.5% we'd only be gaining around £220 tax relief anyway. Is it worth losing that for the psychological boost of paying mortgage off? Or should we pay off own mortgage, but that's only 1.5%. We can get more than that in savings. Better to not pay off either and keep savings. But I want to pay off the mortgage. Repeat. And repeat. And repeat. Then pay the mortgage on BTL 2 off ;)
    4. Recarpet upstairs in our house. They were decent but already down when we moved in so are now around 17 years old, thin and stretching (which I guess means the underlay has disintegrated). We'd need to recarpet before we could let so I'd like to have a period of nice carpets in the meantime. (Oops, did I forget to mention that Mr GG :o)
    5. Possibly pay large lump sum off own house. That would only leave around 12k on part 1 of that mortgage :T. Obviously we would need to repeat argument at no.3 a good few times first.
    6. Clear (or fully offset, see 3 above ;) ) the remaining 12k.
    7. Increase rent on BTL 3. Loathe to do as she's an excellent tenant and has done a lot of improvements, but need to do it.
    8. Clear (or fully offset, see 3 above ;) ) remaining mortgage on our house. By the time I get to step 8 it will be around 50k and I want it gone in 16 months from now :eek:
    8. Get decent market rent for BTL 4, i.e. the house Mr GG's brother is in.
    9. Empty own house and rent out, henceforth it will be known as BTL 5 :)
    10. Naff off to Spain :T
  • gallygirl
    edited 2 January 2015 at 10:25AM
    Options
    2015 Challenges
    1. Successfully move to Middle East with minimum amount of stress and maximum amount of lists :)

2. 100% offset remaining mortgage (17.7k :T)

3. Succeed in Operation Get a Grip which will be continued overseas

4. Make a new life overseas which will involve:
    • Find and make a new home and be the ideal Stepford Wife :D
    • Going out and meeting new people
    • Exercising - with a lot of walking/exploring before it gets too hot
    • Find lots of exciting things to do at weekends with Mr GG, some of which will involve spending money :eek:
    • Live a reasonably frugal life but enjoy being surrounded by a different culture and take opportunities that present themselves to explore it
    • Middle Eastern food - learn all about it and cook it (have bought myself a cracking cookbook for starters but want to learn the differences by country), also intend to eat out a lot (whilst keeping to Operation Get a Grip :o) in local places, not posh ones. Using the criterion that if I'm prepared to use the loo there then I'm prepared to eat there ;). Obviously street food won't have a loo so that will all be ok :rotfl:.
    5. [STRIKE]Fend off [/STRIKE]Welcome all the visitors :D

6. Have a bloody good rest

7. Then find a job :eek:

That'll do for a year I think :T.
  • yukkibear
    yukkibear Posts: 5,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy new diary xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Happy new diary gg :) sound like great goals... Inspired by you I am also off to start meself a new 2011 diary :rotfl:
    hope the decluttering chocolates is going well- I am still making a stellar effort - the people that wrote those decluttering books on amazon would, Im sure, be so proud.... :rotfl:
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Happy new diary and new year, onwards and upwards.
  • gallygirl
    edited 8 September 2023 at 3:54PM
    Options
    Happy new diary gg :) sound like great goals... Inspired by you I am also off to start meself a new 2011 diary :rotfl:
    hope the decluttering chocolates is going well- I am still making a stellar effort - the people that wrote those decluttering books on amazon would, Im sure, be so proud.... :rotfl:

Just decluttered a rather large flapjack and feel a bit sick :o
  • twinklie
    twinklie Posts: 5,052 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Congrats on the firm goals and the excellent start to your 'erm'....decluttering 2011. :rotfl:
    Reduction in daily mortgage interest since October 23 - £0.31 (started new mortgage)
    % of house owned/% of mortgage paid off. December 23 - 32.30%/24.54%
    MFiT-T6 #5
    MFW 2024 #6
    MF Date: Oct 37 May 37
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business