Advance Purchase Tickets if Train is Cancelled?

Options
You can use the next available train.
I assume this means you can use the next available train even if the next service is provided by a different TOC. Have I got that right? The T&Cs for AP tickets seem a bit vague on the subject.

Comments

• skivenov
    skivenov Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah, and they're generally fine about you using an alternative route if you have to. Always worth collaring the conductor when you get on the train if you have to change your route though.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
  • Livingthedream
    Options
    Here you go, from a kind member of another forum;

Advance ticket T&C's
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I had a look through that link posted but, as far as I can see, nowhere does it specifically mention the use of AP tickets on other TOCs when a train is cancelled. Am I being blind?! I accept that passengers can do so (it would be ridiculous if they couldn't) but the rules just seem to continue to be vague on the subject.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    A ticket that is TOC-specific cannot be used on another TOC unless the other TOC is allowing travel, which will often be the case during major disruptions, but not necessarily so if only one train is cancelled.

"Next available train" means precisely that - next train that is available to you with your ticket restrictions, not any train.

Guards and Travel Centres can check with their TOC's Retail Control whether tickets are inter-available.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • westv
    Options
    A ticket that is TOC-specific cannot be used on another TOC unless the other TOC is allowing travel, which will often be the case during major disruptions, but not necessarily so if only one train is cancelled.

"Next available train" means precisely that - next train that is available to you with your ticket restrictions, not any train.

Guards and Travel Centres can check with their TOC's Retail Control whether tickets are inter-available.

So what happens if the next train with that particular TOC is two or three hours later?
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    So what happens if the next train with that particular TOC is two or three hours later?

You have a two or three hour wait. If you want to travel on any train if your train is cancelled, don't get a TOC-specific ticket for a TOC with infrequent services. They're cheaper for a reason.

If this means you miss your final connection, you speak to the booking office staff at the station, they phone their Retail Control, the Retail Control phones the other TOC's Retail Control, and gets permission to endorse your ticket for travel on the other TOC.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • westv
    Options
    So you're basically screwed in that instance - no wonder the rules are so vague about the subject.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you're basically screwed in that instance - no wonder the rules are so vague about the subject.
    If you buy a cheap ticket to travel on a specific train company's trains, please explain why you think another train company should carry you for nothing.
  • westv
    edited 3 October 2012 at 12:40PM
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    If you buy a cheap ticket to travel on a specific train company's trains, please explain why you think another train company should carry you for nothing.

Because I say so. :p:D

Tickets for a specific TOC aren't always cheaper. The fact that the service doesn't require a change of train can also be a big incentive.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tickets for a specific TOC aren't always cheaper. The fact that the service doesn't require a change of train can also be a big incentive.
    Althought there probably are some, I cannot think of any TOC specific tickets that are more expensive than non-specific tickets.

Can you please give an example?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport