Working life after bankruptcy

Options
Hi all,

I've filled out my application and have the funds together, absolutely bricking it about pressing the button but will do so in the next day or so.

I've been reading up about work and insolvency and it seems so many people are on the scrapheap after bankruptcy. What has been everyones experience when seeking work post-bankruptcy? I understood the not being allowed to work as an accountant, lawyer etc but people seem to be not allowed even normal low paid roles!
If people can put my mind at rest, or scare me even more about pressing the button, your advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 March 2018 at 6:04PM
    Options
    Hi LaLaLa34

I'm sure there are lots of people who can speak from personal experience on this and will be along soon. Prospective employers are not going to find out about your bankruptcy as a matter of course though. They will only become aware if they check the public Insolvency Register (whilst you remain on it), carry out a credit check (bankruptcy will show for 6 years) or ask you to disclose bankruptcy in your application form.

As you mentioned the most likely types of employment to be affected are those that deal with finance or law. In the majority of cases bankruptcy should not affect your employment. If you have a specific type of employment in mind for the future it's a good idea to check this first with someone like a professional body or trade union. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LaLaLa34 wrote: »
    What has been everyones experience when seeking work post-bankruptcy? I understood the not being allowed to work as an accountant, lawyer etc but people seem to be not allowed even normal low paid roles!
    If people can put my mind at rest, or scare me even more about pressing the button, your advice would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

i never had an issue, I struggle to understand why someone would outside of the fields you mention. In over three decades of employment I have never been credit checked yet to talk to some people they seem to think that all employers credit check everyone.
  • LaLaLa34
    LaLaLa34 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers for the replies, i'm pressing the button tonight.
    In a way I feel like i shouldn't be going bankrupt for 24,000 but having never earnt more than 21k a year I feel like i'd never pay it back. One things for sure.....defo not getting cards in future.
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    People have gone bankrupt for much less... that's why the system is there. Hope it's a weight off your shoulders!

Would be interested to hear though if anyone has had any problems getting a job after BR. I'll be returning to the UK in a few months and will be applying for jobs for the first time since discharge -
    maybe in the charity sector (project management/logistics).
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never seen any evidence that bankrupts struggle to gain employment any more or less than a non bankrupt - other than in the 'forbidden' occupations.
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I have been credit checked in a couple of my jobs but I work in the finance industry so to be expected. Ironically, it was smaller companies who checked me but banks and life offices as far as I am aware never have.

I have not been bankrupt myself, but I tend to spend a lot of my time helping ex bankrupts/people with defaults etc. They all seem to have jobs. Their jobs vary from minimum wage jobs up to 6 figure incomes.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • LincsPaul
    LincsPaul Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmm 6 figures...:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business