House of Fraser U-turn - customers now WON'T get refunds for undelivered items - MSE News

Options
2»

Comments

• MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd still try the credit card company, some will refund even if it is below the Sec75 threshold.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely it's not legal for HoF to take money AFTER they bought the company and still refuse to refund / fulfill the order? If Sports Direct were the owners from the morning of the 10th August, then they should refund the money they took from my debit card later that day??

TBH I wouldn't put anything past Mike Ashley if this is the way he acts. He deliberately waited until he could refuse to pay all outstanding bills and that includes workers of third party services HoF use.

It has put too many small British firms out of business, and although I know lines have not been drawn to connect the two but I can't help wondering if his choices had a part to play in the Designer Orla Kiely's firm going under. It would appear this guy just doesn't care...

I'm sure if it was illegal, he'd have found the loop hole to get out of paying anything fair back; sorry you've lost out. My mum and her husband have lost out- the company they work for will struggle to continue due to the money HoF owed them which run into the hundred thousands.

It's not right, I would actually switch political allegiances to the party who created a law to prevent cheating scum like this to get away with things like this!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Given that Ashley claims he wants to build on the House of Fraser brand, possibly even creating a merger with Debenhams, it looks like a bit of an own goal to damage whatever goodwill it still retains like this.

I suppose he’s assuming that the banks will sort the problem out for him via S75 claims, leaving him perhaps the option of coming back later like some sort of fairy godmother to offer to help anyone unable to claim elsewhere.

The only sensible option in the future is to avoid buying from any company he’s got his grubby little fingers in.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    TBH I wouldn't put anything past Mike Ashley if this is the way he acts. He deliberately waited until he could refuse to pay all outstanding bills and that includes workers of third party services HoF use.

It has put too many small British firms out of business, and although I know lines have not been drawn to connect the two but I can't help wondering if his choices had a part to play in the Designer Orla Kiely's firm going under. It would appear this guy just doesn't care...

I'm sure if it was illegal, he'd have found the loop hole to get out of paying anything fair back; sorry you've lost out. My mum and her husband have lost out- the company they work for will struggle to continue due to the money HoF owed them which run into the hundred thousands.

It's not right, I would actually switch political allegiances to the party who created a law to prevent cheating scum like this to get away with things like this!
    You have posted similar before.

HoF went bust before he bought it

If he hadn’t bought it there would be no H of F at all and no jobs for anyone etc etc.

The HoF That is now is not the same company that went bust
  • jenniewb
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    You have posted similar before.

HoF went bust before he bought it

If he hadn’t bought it there would be no H of F at all and no jobs for anyone etc etc.

The HoF That is now is not the same company that went bust

He could have made offers to take over the brand before it went into administration.
    Yes I've posted before about this, it annoys me because I see the cost in terms of jobs lost and lives ruined and-in my eyes at least, all so a fat cat can get fatter.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    He could have made offers to take over the brand before it went into administration.
    Yes I've posted before about this, it annoys me because I see the cost in terms of jobs lost and lives ruined and-in my eyes at least, all so a fat cat can get fatter.

Anyone could have made offers but if they did they werent accepted.

H of F went bust, the administrators then sold to MA. if they hadnt all stores may now be closed.

the blame lies with H of F, no one else

I understand it annoys you but it could be much worse.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    OK, don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Mike Ashley, BUT he is a business man, and Sports Direct is doing fine.

If you buy another company you are going to buy it at the time most opportune for YOU, this way he rebuilds the company from the ground up on his terms.

As for it being his fault that Orla Kierly went bust, they simply did not evolve at the pace required.

What really annoys me is that people look at the money earned by the people at the top and complain. What you don't see is the amount of work they put in, have put in and will put in, they work hard to get where they are, and, you know what, those "fat cats" provide a lot of people with jobs.

I am not talking about just Mike Ashley here, a lot of people seem to dislike anyone owning companies that make a lot of money, and actually earning the money that entails, always thinking that that money should be redistributed among the work force. BUT, would you work 18 hour days (and yes, a lot do, we as a small company do work for some of these "fat cats") for many years and crawl up the ladder only to be earning the same money?

Have some respect for the work put in by these people, if it wasn't for them then no-one would have jobs to go to, if it wasn't for people with a bit of ambition there would be no companies to pay people, they work very hard for the money they earn.

And you know the great thing, in this country anyone with a bit of ability and the ambition can do exactly the same.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Amex refunded my £180 today following my Section 75 claim submitted on 11 September. None of my items were in excess of £100 but it seems they have been generous in this instance.

Great work American Express!
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • jenniewb
    Options
    OK, don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Mike Ashley, BUT he is a business man, and Sports Direct is doing fine.

If you buy another company you are going to buy it at the time most opportune for YOU, this way he rebuilds the company from the ground up on his terms.

As for it being his fault that Orla Kierly went bust, they simply did not evolve at the pace required.

What really annoys me is that people look at the money earned by the people at the top and complain. What you don't see is the amount of work they put in, have put in and will put in, they work hard to get where they are, and, you know what, those "fat cats" provide a lot of people with jobs.

I am not talking about just Mike Ashley here, a lot of people seem to dislike anyone owning companies that make a lot of money, and actually earning the money that entails, always thinking that that money should be redistributed among the work force. BUT, would you work 18 hour days (and yes, a lot do, we as a small company do work for some of these "fat cats") for many years and crawl up the ladder only to be earning the same money?

Have some respect for the work put in by these people, if it wasn't for them then no-one would have jobs to go to, if it wasn't for people with a bit of ambition there would be no companies to pay people, they work very hard for the money they earn.

And you know the great thing, in this country anyone with a bit of ability and the ambition can do exactly the same.

It's your opinion and your welcome to it. It's just not how I see it and not what I believe. There is too much of a bigger picture for me to ignore here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure