Teachers Pension Scheme VS Personal Pension

Options
RaulSim
RaulSim Posts: 30 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 12 November 2019 at 8:13PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Any advice below regarding teachers pension would help.

I am a teacher who has been in service 1 year 6 months. I do not plan on staying in the profession any more than an additional academic year, maximum. This means I could finish teaching by September 2020 or September 2021.

I am part of the teachers pension scheme. I get paid just under £27,000 p/a and they currently deduct close to £250. I am 23 years old.

In my opinion, this is too much of a large deduction considering I am only 23 and plan to work and contribute to some sort of pension until retirement.

My plan was to opt/transfer out of the teachers pension scheme and move to another one where I can lower my contributions to a more reasonable amount.

I want to go for a similar scheme, meaning that my payout amount at retirement age is guaranteed and I don’t want to have to pick an investment.

From research is seems a defined benefit pension or a stakeholder pension is the best.

Am I right in saying this?

If no, what is the best scheme, and can anyone recommend a provider?

Or am I just better staying with the teachers pension scheme? The only advantage I see in staying in the scheme is some extra benefits you receive if you are a teacher for over two years, but I do not wish to stay in teaching this long.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    RaulSim wrote: »
    I want to go for a similar scheme, meaning that my payout amount at retirement age is guaranteed and I don’t want to have to pick an investment.

From research is seems a dependent benefit pension or a stakeholder pension is the best. I think your research is seriously flawed, not least in terms of basic understanding. See https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/pensions-basics/different-uk-pension-schemes

Am I right in saying this? The terminology is 'defined benefit' - and the very best of luck finding one outside the public sector which is open to new hires. A stakeholder pension scheme is a defined contribution scheme - no guarantees at all and if you hope to match what your current scheme offers, you'd need to be putting in a lot more than you are contributing at present.

Or am I just better staying with the teachers pension scheme? Yes, for as long as you can.The only advantage I see in staying in the scheme is some extra benefits you receive if you are a teacher for over two years, but I do not wish to stay in teaching this long.

Please see above.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Main difference - in the teacher's scheme your employer also makes contributions. They will be worth more than you think they are and are basically free money. If you have a private pension this doesn't happen. So, why do you want to say 'no' to free money?
  • JayRitchie
    Options
    You wont get as good a deal as the teachers scheme going privately - and you would find it almost impossible to join a final salary scheme as a private individual. Your £250 is a pretty small component of the value you are accruing.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,532 Forumite
    Options
    RaulSim wrote: »
    I am part of the teachers pension scheme. I get paid just under £27,000 p/a and they currently deduct close to £250.

That doesn't quite sound correct. At 27K, the contribution rate is only 7.4% - https://www.teacherspensions.co.uk/employers/managing-members/contributions/calculating-contributions.aspx
    In my opinion, this is too much of a large deduction considering I am only 23 and plan to work and contribute to some sort of pension until retirement.

It's 'high' because the TPS is a very generous scheme, although you will slightly negate that by not being in it for long - the 'revaluation' rate for active members is higher than the one for 'deferred' members, i.e. the longer you stay in, the more valuable previous years become.
    My plan was to opt/transfer out of the teachers pension scheme and move to another one where I can lower my contributions to a more reasonable amount.

Opting out would be silly, as you wouldn't get the employer contribution in another form if so, however it would be necessary to transfer out (if you leave the scheme within two years, you will not earn a preserved benefit and so would have to either take a refund or transfer out).

Personal pensions (including stakeholders) aren't like that - they are intrinsically 'defined contribution'. A 'guaranteed' payout amount at retirement age and not having any investment decisions yourself are only possible in an occupational scheme, and moreover, only when the employer offers a defined benefit plan specifically, which for new joiners pretty much means the public sector only nowadays (there is the odd exception).
    From research is seems a defined benefit pension or a stakeholder pension is the best.

Am I right in saying this?

No.

Stay in the TPS for as long as you are eligible. Naturally, this doesn't mean, stay a teacher for as long as possible - you may be happier in another occupation - but if so, for a pension anyway comparable, you will likely have to put in rather more than 7.4%, particularly as you get older.

For comparison - my employer offers a DC scheme with a 5% employer contribution, and I choose to put in 30%. Admittedly I am rather older than you, and also earn rather more - but I would imagine those two differences will reduce in step.
    Or am I just better staying with the teachers pension scheme?

Yes.
    The only advantage I see in staying in the scheme is some extra benefits you receive if you are a teacher for over two years

The 'extra benefits' are simply, a pension on scheme retirement age. Under two years, and you aren't eligible for a pension, even a tiny one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure