PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    God you lot talk a lot. Been poorly but back to full working order now.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So glad you're feeling better mar. How is the RV now?

GQ All I can say is three cheers for that vicar!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    So glad you're feeling better mar. How is the RV now?

GQ All I can say is three cheers for that vicar!
    :) Yup. A practically-minded true Christian gentleman with a real care for his flock.

One thing to remember is that please sir can I have some more? usually gets you nowt but a clout across the head.

Social systems which we regard as incredibly backwards are just about within living memory even now. Asking nicely doesn't usually get you much. Earnest papers by social reformers help somewhat as do their more modern versions, the documentary (Cathy Come Home, anyone?) but what really gets things moving is putting the fear on the ruling castes.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    Thrifty, I think it is an excellent idea to collect the ideas and comments from the old thread together. I don't think I will have enough spare time to be much help this month (but if you are still going in July please PM me). Can I suggest that you lay down some ground rules for formatting at the start? Things like whether to include the headers, the thanks count, things like that. If everybody does something different it would create a lot more work for the poor b*gg*r who has to edit it - I seem to remember there are over 2000 pages....
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    [.

Sorry to butt in preppers :o...but just had to say...

Perplexed Pineapple What a fantastic username :T :D

As you were .....;)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in preppers :o...but just had to say...

Perplexed Pineapple What a fantastic username :T :D

As you were .....;)

It is good, isn't it :D On another well-known forum there's a poster called Lookoutapiano, and I'd so love to know why she chose that.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reading Zerohedge this morning, I was very impressed by one of the comments to this article.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-12/collapse-penn-station-another-failure-government-enterprise

The comment numbers seem to change, so look for a post by 'Rejected' on June 12th, 10.28pm that starts:
    The greed, contempt and arrogance that is government is also in American businesses as well. Americans do not know how to run businesses. They have been lobotomized (aka educated) in universities and colleges around the country. Their idea is for everyone to have degrees, everyone in management and zero employees. Saving money for bonuses and country club memberships is essential while producing a good product secondary at best. Spend billions for advertising but little for production. Does the hamburger you get look like the one in the picture?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :eek: OMG, have you seen news of the fire at Grenfell Tower in London? Mass evac in small hours and also evac of surrounding area. Something to send the cold shudders down this flat dweller's spine.

One reason to always have a bug-out bag that includes critical documents and a thumb drive with your computer documents backed-up regularly.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just switched the news on GQ and am shocked by the reports. How dreadful for those poor people. Apparently the fire alarms didnt work properly according to a guy who lived on the 7th floor?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    The film "Towering Inferno" came to mind - and I guess it was only a matter of time before that happened ITRW.

Those poor people - and what a bad time to happen (ie right in the middle of the night).

I was sitting there thinking "Just as well not to live in a tower block if one can help it". Personally - I've always hated them anyway - if only with visions of wondering what happens if the lift stops working. A very good argument for low-level housing. It's a blessing to know one only has to literally open a window and climb out - or, at worst, somone having an ordinary ladder to hand to get out of a 1st floor room.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure