PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    .... perfect for BBQs....
    As a sweeping statement, CFOs don't do BBQs, no need for BBQ food. It's simply not on the radar....
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

PN They are very tasty ... mmmm (L1dl, Chef Select, 6 for £1.05).
    Thanks for tip, I'm in there tomorrow and could just get some, as I try and avoid the Stollen aisle a sausage roll hunt could be a useful distraction

Toaster oven: Bottom shelf, foil on the tray, tray on the rack.
    Two sausage rolls.
    Upside down at the front of the tray.
    No pre-heating. 195°C, top and bottom elements on.
    10 minutes. Done.
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a sweeping statement, CFOs don't do BBQs, no need for BBQ food. It's simply not on the radar....

Just because it's not on yours doesn't mean it isn't on others. I BBQ regularly for one.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • PasturesNew
    edited 5 October 2017 at 8:50PM
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    I BBQ regularly for one.

Describe your BBQ/style - and what's on the menu?

I just nuked a burger in 2½ minutes and shoved it in a bread roll :)
    I'm d4mned if I'm going to spend £10 on equipment, that then needs storing, then coals etc .... then to wait and be smoked out for an hour to produce a burger that "tastes a bit better, but it's still eaten in under 1 minute flat".

:)

Tea tonight was: cheeseburger in a bread roll, squirt of ketchup, side portion of chips. That's all the burgers gone now from the last packet. I'll get a new box (Lamb/Mint ones, 4ldi) in a couple of weeks, but I'll give the freezer a rest for now ... and eat what I've got. Now out of fish fingers and burgers in there.... plenty more chips as I bought another bag in the week.

I'm too full to eat some more sponge pudding that I made earlier, so I'll have that tomorrow with custard.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    PasturesNew could you please give me the recipe for your marmalade sponge pud. It sounds lovely.

A cheapy disposable BBQ is a nice treat. Costs a pound or two and can be set up in the garden or taken on a picnic somewhere like the beach for an outing. Cook up a few burgers, sausages or the like and even a foil parcel of veggies. What you can't eat can be micro'd to heat back at home. It'll have a lovely extra bit of flavour.

Mind it's not exactly BBQ beach weather just now, well not here!
  • PasturesNew
    edited 5 October 2017 at 10:15PM
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    PasturesNew could you please give me the recipe for your marmalade sponge pud. It sounds lovely.
    I do it in a Pyrex, whisk/nuke in one dish.
    Small egg, weigh it (inc shell).
    Get that same weight in each of: SR flour, sugar, marg/butter.
    Bring those 3 together (like breadcrumbs).
    Add whisked egg. Beat smooth. Spoon in some marmalade as blobs. Nuke 3 minutes. Stand 1-2 minutes. Tip out. Eat.

Poor Photo, that's about the size of half a Pyrex jug in height and I skimped on nuking as I was too eager (so just 2½ mins):
    https://s1.postimg.org/1vw0yhochr/Orange_Marmalade.jpg

Cut open: https://s1.postimg.org/4s3qoyxunz/Orange_Marmalade2.jpg

I ate that bit I cut off; other bit's still in the fridge in a takeaway box.
    A cheapy disposable BBQ is a nice treat. Costs a pound or two and can be set up in the garden or taken on a picnic somewhere like the beach for an outing. Cook up a few burgers, sausages or the like and even a foil parcel of veggies. What you can't eat can be micro'd to heat back at home. It'll have a lovely extra bit of flavour.

Mind it's not exactly BBQ beach weather just now, well not here!
    Ah, disposables. I've seen what they do in beach environments in the wrong hands and it'd take a lot to get me to get round to buying one, then lugging it to the beach. Ferals don't take them with them, they bury them in the sand and if somebody runs over that spot a bit later they can end up in Hospital. Even left to cool they become unsightly and dangerous beach rubbish.

It'd be "another s0dding thing to have to lug all the way down there" when already lugging a tent, windbreak, little chair, towels, drinks, nibbles, sun cream, change of clothes, etc etc. :)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I do it in a Pyrex, whisk/nuke in one dish.
    Small egg, weigh it (inc shell).
    Get that same weight in each of: SR flour, sugar, marg/butter.
    Bring those 3 together (like breadcrumbs).
    Add whisked egg. Beat smooth. Spoon in some marmalade as blobs. Nuke 3 minutes. Stand 1-2 minutes. Tip out. Eat.

Poor Photo, that's about the size of half a Pyrex jug in height and I skimped on nuking as I was too eager (so just 2½ mins):
    https://s1.postimg.org/1vw0yhochr/Orange_Marmalade.jpg

Cut open: https://s1.postimg.org/4s3qoyxunz/Orange_Marmalade2.jpg

I ate that bit I cut off; other bit's still in the fridge in a takeaway box.

Ah, disposables. I've seen what they do in beach environments in the wrong hands and it'd take a lot to get me to get round to buying one, then lugging it to the beach. Ferals don't take them with them, they bury them in the sand and if somebody runs over that spot a bit later they can end up in Hospital. Even left to cool they become unsightly and dangerous beach rubbish.

It'd be "another s0dding thing to have to lug all the way down there" when already lugging a tent, windbreak, little chair, towels, drinks, nibbles, sun cream, change of clothes, etc etc. :)

Your pud looks yummy. Thanks for the recipe, sounds like custard, ice cream or cream would be divine with it. Not had a pud for ages, you've put me right In the mood for one. Love how easy you've put it together.

I dispose of disposable BBQs appropriately! However, I get what you mean. It makes me angry to see people leaving them or even using them on public picnic tables, burning them.

I do enjoy a picnic though and I'm lucky enough to have nice picnic equipment and a car with plenty of room for the kit. I camp so they come in handy for a quick meal. Though you can't beat cooking on a proper camp fire. There's something delicious about food cooked outdoors, all cosy and smokey :cool:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Love how easy you've put it together.
    I should also point out that all mixing was done with a simple fork. First bit comes together in about 20 seconds, add the egg and that's another 20 seconds .... job done.

No processors, power whisks, complex items required. Simple fork and no effort/energy.

Alternatives to "sauce"/custard could be:
    1] having finished ... spread a layer of marmalade on top, which will end up on the bottom when you tip it out.
    2] in a small mug, mix some more marmalade with a bit of boiling water and nuke for about 30-45 seconds, then pour over... just a pouring "jus" as those posh folks say :)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Morning All

Apart from finally getting around to making a bakewell tart I had a very lazy day yesterday. It was too cold and windy to do anything outside and I finally had to submit and put the central heating on for a bit. Pinged some freezer supplies - soup for lunch and bolognaise for tea, a truly cba, cfo kinda day :D.

Weathers improved today and so has my mood; started the day with some greek yoghurt and prunes, found the remains of a tin of spaghetti in the freezer so will have that on toast for lunch, then more freezer supplies for tea, using up some scampi & potato wedges........omg as I type I've just realised everything is orangey/beige :eek: - will add the last of the salad, sweetcorn and beetroot for a bit of colour :).
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I am making a spicy sweet potato and carrot soup for lunch.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure