Skint Britain Channel 4 tvshow on Universal credit

Options
did any one watch this ? what did you think ? does it make the UC claimants look bad or did you thing it makes UC look like it was set up by idiots ? see https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9826630/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 for more info, there was 3 episodes, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9826630/episodes?season=1&ref_=tt_eps_sn_1 Hartlepool looks terrible and the characters they filmed look like difficult cases to get into work but equally universal credit system/staff seem useless ..what do you think ? only answer if you watched the show thanks
write down & number competitions you do & youll see that your lucky if u win even 1 thing in 4000 ! ps if u find an error with a comp tell the site running the comp cheers

Comments

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As you can probably imagine they've cherry-picked certain characters to make for a more "entertaining" programme.

I live about 30 miles from Hartlepool and have visited fairly regularly, on mystery shopping assignments usually and like all towns it has nice areas and run-down areas. Obviously the characters they've chosen to follow come from the less well-to-do neighbourhoods.

Hartlepool does have higher than normal unemployment due to its location but I have a friend there who earns getting on for six-figures, so the programme is not representative. As you probably were aware.

I have another friend on UC who lives in the area and she is currently between jobs being a contractor, she's not tried hunting rabbits yet.

:rotfl:
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've watched 2 episodes and no more. I'm still amazed that people put themselves up for this.
    Yes UC is a shambles and if you are already vulnerable its doubly worse. As for the housing benefit element I'm not surprised that the letting agent featured was angry. This was all forseen. Giving unstable adults with addiction issues a largish amout of money once a month! What a choice Alcohol/drugs versus pay your rent, utilities etc. Utter madness. Its why a sizeable number of private landlords will no longer rent to UC claimants and seek to evict those that have the misfortune to be moved across.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    did you thing it makes UC look like it was set up by idiots ?

UC was setup by idiots, democratically elected ones but idiots nonetheless.

Whether they were truly stupid to not think things through, or just evil and were stupid enough to think they'd get away with it or stupid enough to think that the claimants were all scroungers and would cope somehow.

But then are they idiots as they still have a well paid job and no money worries, while they play god with our lives.
  • utopiandream
    utopiandream Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    evil and stupid i agree with, UC creators are morons
    write down & number competitions you do & youll see that your lucky if u win even 1 thing in 4000 ! ps if u find an error with a comp tell the site running the comp cheers
  • utopiandream
    Options
    who saw all 3 episodes ? , 1 guy goes out robbing drug dealers ! , burning electrical wires to get the plastic off them, what a crazy situation people get into on Universal credit
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eamon wrote: »
    I've watched 2 episodes and no more. I'm still amazed that people put themselves up for this.
    Yes UC is a shambles and if you are already vulnerable its doubly worse. As for the housing benefit element I'm not surprised that the letting agent featured was angry. This was all forseen. Giving unstable adults with addiction issues a largish amout of money once a month! What a choice Alcohol/drugs versus pay your rent, utilities etc. Utter madness. Its why a sizeable number of private landlords will no longer rent to UC claimants and seek to evict those that have the misfortune to be moved across.

The idea of paying benefit claimants all of the money due to them, instead of paying rent/council tax direct, was to treat them like adults and to prepare them for the world of work (after all, no employer would dock their worker's wages in order to pay their rent and council tax for them). Unfortunately, too many see the money in their pockets as theirs to spend as they want.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Universal credit isn't fit for purpose.

And the call centre staff don't help either. Working with someone who for a number of reasons isn't able to use the on-line system, an average 45 minutes on hold to speak to someone to request an assisted claim. Followed by this being cancelled for no clear reason. Followed by a request to submit medical information on line. And right back to where we started. We have wasted hours on the phone waiting to get through then trying to get UC to understand that the person is not able to get online and each time it's round in circles and banging your head on a brick wall.
    You'd almost think it was designed to make life difficult....
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Brummie85
    Brummie85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    We've been watching it. It does make UC claimants look bad and also shows that UC was implemented despite obviously being unfit for purpose.

The entire recent changes to benefits are overall terrible. PIP is probably even worse then UC.

It's not until it hits someone in your family that you really see it though. My Mom is going through it at the moment. She was reassessed for PIP after 24 years of DLA. She received the higher rate and motability component - but has now been told she gets nothing. In turn it affects her UC. On top of this the p/t job she had has gone, due to the company losing their main customer. It means she's had a rapid and drastic drop in income - from a position that wasn't really comfortable anyway.

It's been a difficult few weeks. I'm not sure what goes on with the PIP assessments but they seemed to ignore her entire medical history and the evidence provided. It's not enough to just tell them what health problems you have - claimants have to essentially shoehorn their ailments into descriptions of impact against 12 elements of what you could consider a daily routine. But they don't tell you this (it shows on the decision letter though) and if you fail to make your problems fit their boxes - you get 0 points. In the end I wrote the appeal on her behalf, because she's that stressed that she just couldn't do a proper job of it. Sitting down with her and hearing how her health stops her doing basic things made me feel awful. I had no idea.

I understand that there are people out there making false disability & benefit claims that drain the system. But they're being extremely harsh on absolutely everyone else claiming as a way to weed the rogues out.
  • Cymrocwl
    Options
    I watched the programmes with interest. Of course, as others here have noted, the people followed were carefully chosen probably because of their more 'colourful' characteristics. I mainly watched to see how editorial policy was different from the 'poverty !!!!!!' put out. usually by Channel 5 where the commentary is viciously biased against claimants, and the programmes little more than freak shows of a kind that have been around for thousands of years with a similar purpose: created and directed by an elite to draw attention away from their excesses and to try and blame all of societies ills on the weak and vulnerable.

The people we meet in these programmes may not appear to be the nicest of people, and we may not, if we have a choice, opt to live live next door to them, but at the end of the day, they are people. There are usually very good reasons why people behave in certain ways. It's easy to condemn, but much harder to understand, which requires getting to know someone as an individual, which usually gives rise to some sense of empathy, even when you don't really expect to feel any.

Which brings me to my consideration of this series. It's much better than the majority as it does at least attempt to understand situations, and does, to some extent, attempt to allow people their own voices. It still suffers from being made from a middle-class perspective, which I was saddened about, and could have been much improved if it had been more of a collaboration between the programme makers and the participants themselves, with equal editorial control. As with Universal Credit and benefits in general, it is the voices and opinions of those it affects the most who we aren't hearing. The government's default position is that those who are not in work are scroungers, and are portrayed as such by the likes of the Daily Mail, which, like it or not, is a significant opinion former for the hard of thinking, and is readily exploited by the likes of Iain Duncan Smith who really doesn't have the first clue about the lives of the poor and marginalised, no matter how many crocodile tears he pretends to shed. The vast majority of people want to improve their lives, but it's no good telling them that they are going to be 50p a week better off, (or even 10 or 20 pounds) in work than on benefits; it needs to be 50, 60 or even 100 pounds a week better of, as that way people can be free of benefits entirely, and, crucially can engage in some of the things that make life worth living. But there is so much more besides; decent, social, housing, decent healthcare, and access to decent and high quality training as well as substantial government investment in creating the industries of the future so that people have decent jobs to go to. We've had 40 years of total failure from the neoliberals, now it's time to make huge changes. Scrap Universal Credit, and bring on UBI.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cymrocwl wrote: »
    I watched the programmes with interest. Of course, as others here have noted, the people followed were carefully chosen probably because of their more 'colourful' characteristics. I mainly watched to see how editorial policy was different from the 'poverty !!!!!!' put out. usually by Channel 5 where the commentary is viciously biased against claimants, and the programmes little more than freak shows of a kind that have been around for thousands of years with a similar purpose: created and directed by an elite to draw attention away from their excesses and to try and blame all of societies ills on the weak and vulnerable. - the elite have no need to draw attention away.

The people we meet in these programmes may not appear to be the nicest of people, and we may not, if we have a choice, opt to live live next door to them, but at the end of the day, they are people. - yes, that means almost nothing. There are usually very good reasons why people behave in certain ways. - really? It's easy to condemn, but much harder to understand, which requires getting to know someone as an individual, which usually gives rise to some sense of empathy, even when you don't really expect to feel any. - you can feel empathy for anyone, doesn't mean they haven't brought it upon themselves (doesn't mean they have either tbf)

Which brings me to my consideration of this series. It's much better than the majority as it does at least attempt to understand situations, and does, to some extent, attempt to allow people their own voices. It still suffers from being made from a middle-class perspective, which I was saddened about, and could have been much improved if it had been more of a collaboration between the programme makers and the participants themselves, with equal editorial control. - that would be ridiculous As with Universal Credit and benefits in general, it is the voices and opinions of those it affects the most who we aren't hearing. The government's default position is that those who are not in work are scroungers - some are , and are portrayed as such by the likes of the Daily Mail, which, like it or not, is a significant opinion former for the hard of thinking, and is readily exploited by the likes of Iain Duncan Smith who really doesn't have the first clue about the lives of the poor and marginalised, no matter how many crocodile tears he pretends to shed. - like I said it's not one size fits all and you cant base policy on the worst cases The vast majority of people want to improve their lives, but it's no good telling them that they are going to be 50p a week better off, (or even 10 or 20 pounds) in work than on benefits; it needs to be 50, 60 or even 100 pounds a week better of - Why? Refuse to work, no more money. , as that way people can be free of benefits entirely, and, crucially can engage in some of the things that make life worth living. But there is so much more besides; decent, social, housing, decent healthcare, and access to decent and high quality training - all of that is available. as well as substantial government investment in creating the industries of the future so that people have decent jobs to go to. We've had 40 years of total failure from the neoliberals, now it's time to make huge changes. Scrap Universal Credit, and bring on UBI.
    Scrap benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport