30 years old and stuck in a rut. Don't know what route to take. I could use some advice, please.

Options
I am 30 years old. I have been in a dead end job for a few years now. I never knew what I wanted to do in my late teens or most of my 20's tbh. I have gone through a few jobs, trying to see what I enjoy or am good at, but it's been a struggle as I still am no closer to having a clearer mind on this.

It all started from college. I went to college, wanting to study Art & Design. The course was full at the time, so I did have something else in mind. I just wanted to study something as I felt going to education was going to be important for me. However, I took the wrong course in hindsight (which I thought was the right idea at the time) which was BTEC Sports Science.

I finished the course with Merit overrall. From there I did plan to go to Uni, but long story short things fell through, had some personal issues and I just ended up not going to University. From then I've been in and out of different jobs, from warehouse/factory to supermarket, to labouring, but no jobs that I had an interest in. I didn't enjoy any of them.

I have since been studying in my own time, doing research, learning what I enjoy. My problem is I have many interests and none I can put my finger on pursuing as a career. Another problem for me is being 30 years old. I would have considered returning to education, but at 30 it feels too late and I certainly cannot return without having a clear goal/focus on what I want to study.

I have been considering a few things. Here are some subjects I currently have an interest in:

Ecology
Geology
Biology
Zoology
Conservation (in Africa and around the globe)
Art/Design
Fashion
Archaeology
Anthropology
Travel
Paleontology
Business/Entrepreneurship
Politics
History
Geography

As you can see, I do have a varied interest in a lot of stuff, but it's all a bit mix and match.
Everything I mentioned about I have a strong interest in. I have the strongest interest in the most of that apart from maybe Politics.

I am frustrated at the moment because I just don't know what to do. Do you think there is any way I can pursue most of these subjects, if not all, without a university degree?

I will say, mathematics is a bit of weakness for me. I just about scraped through some of my Sports Science modules which were more "mathy" and that's my worry. I do enjoy and have a deep interest in science subjects like some of those mentioned above, but it's the Maths side of those subjects I worry about if I was to pursue them.

Anyway, I would really appreciate some helpful advice on what to do from anybody whom has been in a similar position or just generally can provide good advice for me.

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AzorAhai wrote: »
    I am 30 years old. I have been in a dead end job for a few years now. I never knew what I wanted to do in my late teens or most of my 20's tbh. I have gone through a few jobs, trying to see what I enjoy or am good at, but it's been a struggle as I still am no closer to having a clearer mind on this.

It all started from college. I went to college, wanting to study Art & Design. The course was full at the time, so I did have something else in mind. I just wanted to study something as I felt going to education was going to be important for me. However, I took the wrong course in hindsight (which I thought was the right idea at the time) which was BTEC Sports Science.

I finished the course with Merit overrall. From there I did plan to go to Uni, but long story short things fell through, had some personal issues and I just ended up not going to University. From then I've been in and out of different jobs, from warehouse/factory to supermarket, to labouring, but no jobs that I had an interest in. I didn't enjoy any of them.

I have since been studying in my own time, doing research, learning what I enjoy. My problem is I have many interests and none I can put my finger on pursuing as a career. Another problem for me is being 30 years old. I would have considered returning to education, but at 30 it feels too late and I certainly cannot return without having a clear goal/focus on what I want to study.

I have been considering a few things. Here are some subjects I currently have an interest in:

Ecology
    Geology
    Biology
    Zoology
    Conservation (in Africa and around the globe)
    Art/Design
    Fashion
    Archaeology
    Anthropology
    Travel
    Paleontology
    Business/Entrepreneurship
    Politics
    History
    Geography

As you can see, I do have a varied interest in a lot of stuff, but it's all a bit mix and match. - To be honest your interests are to varied. You need to pick one and decide what career that will lead to.
    Everything I mentioned about I have a strong interest in. I have the strongest interest in the most of that apart from maybe Politics.

I am frustrated at the moment because I just don't know what to do. Do you think there is any way I can pursue most of these subjects, if not all, without a university degree? - Not really, because most of those topics require a degree to get into high positions (even medium positions)

I will say, mathematics is a bit of weakness for me. I just about scraped through some of my Sports Science modules which were more "mathy" and that's my worry. I do enjoy and have a deep interest in science subjects like some of those mentioned above, but it's the Maths side of those subjects I worry about if I was to pursue them. - Unfortunately I don't think that will help

Anyway, I would really appreciate some helpful advice on what to do from anybody whom has been in a similar position or just generally can provide good advice for me.

Thanks in advance. :D
    Frankly, and this isn't meant to be rude, it sounds more like you have a passing interest in those subjects. The simple fact of the matter is that people will focus their whole lives on one aspect of one of those subjects and still not 'make it'. I do not believe that you can be that interested in all of them.

You need to pick a decently paid job and work out what qualifications and experiences you need to get there
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My youngest went to uni with no clear idea what he wanted to do, so picked a course that he thought would be do-able for him, graduated with honours.

He's now doing a masters in Social work and flying through it.

He had absolutely no clear plan on the end game, just picking courses he believed he could pass - He's loving the social work course.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Some years ago I had a phase of wanting to change jobs and saw a careers consultant. They did various things, and got me to complete the Highlands Ability test

https://www.amazingpeople.co.uk/highlands-ability-battery/

and interpreted the results for me, translated it into suitable jobs and jobs which wouldn't suit. It was very helpful in understanding where my strengths and weaknesses lay.

IIRC, it cost around 350-400.00 a year, but I thought it worthwhile.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • BookmobileBadGirl
    Options
    rather than looking at all the subjects you have interest in, focus more on what you want from a job. There are loads of questions to ask yourself to help narrow down to what you could do. I am sure there must be lists out there but:

- do you want to work indoors or outdoors
    - are you happy with shift work or is 9-5 is important
    - do you like being part of a big team or happy working alone
    - would you rather be managed than manage people
    - what would you like to earn? (not straight away but by the time you are 40 say)
    - what do people say that you are good at
    - what do you think you are good at
    - are you after a "career" where you can move up, or are you happy with a job that pays and you dont hate
    Mortgage £75,300 (December 2016) Mortgage Free Date December 2051

Mortgage £9,650 (April 2024) Mortgage Free Date August 2024
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could just try a new job which sounds interesting and has some advancement opportunities, give it your best shot, and see what happens?

At the age of 30 I personally would be trying to advance through the job market rather than going back to uni. You don't need to have a degree to do well.

I think if you are going to take another 3 years to go to uni, you have to be pretty sure that the uni course is what you actually want to do and is worthwhile.

Perhaps a job could help you decide, e.g. you could take a job in IT and that might make you realise you'd quite like to work in cyber security (or whatever). You can then either just climb the job ladder in that field or if you think necessary take a degree in that field?
  • Pension_Geek
    Options
    A lot depends on what you actually want. I've done 2 degrees (Classics and Maths), and I am interested in plenty of other subjects beyond those.

Having studied at masters level, i would concur with the posters that say, if you want to spend a career researching a subject, you will need to live and breath it. I would also note that you really do need to be excellent to stand a chance of a career in academia/research. The competition is extremely intense and there are plenty of PhD holders employed on zero hour contracts at some very good universities.

I would definitely say its worthwhile looking for a job that is fulfilling, but if that is not possible, retain your interest in various subjects, and use your spare time to do this. I am lucky in that i do a job directly related to maths, but many people do a degree and use that as a means to an end.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
  • JayRitchie
    JayRitchie Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well, you can read about all those subjects for free at a library. Can you get a job with them? A lot depends on where you live. Its far easier to find work in the South East than the North West. If you are restricted in where to live its worth looking at what jobs there are locally.

How much do you earn at the moment? If its relatively low university can be a decent idea. Just make sure that you understand the employability of any course you take.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Frankly, and this isn't meant to be rude, it sounds more like you have a passing interest in those subjects. The simple fact of the matter is that people will focus their whole lives on one aspect of one of those subjects and still not 'make it'. I do not believe that you can be that interested in all of them.

A passing interest huh?? A LOT of those listed topics are fairly well linked through the environmental/nature category:

Ecology
    Geology
    Biology
    Zoology
    Conservation
    Archaeology
    Anthropology
    Travel
    Paleontology
    Geography
    History?

Very much a scattered approach by OP, but there is a very clear theme in their interests and I think it would be bold to suggest that they were "passing interests"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure