007 Cops given licence to kill?

Options

Comments

• tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Op - basically you're giving any criminal a guaranteed get out of jail free card, because they know if they go 1mph over the speed limit, the police will have to end the chase to ensure they drive "carefully at all times". Given the pressures our police are currently under, I don't think the threat of a disciplinary/sacking for the best trained drivers who already call off a chase if it's too dangerous, if they happen to hit 71mph on the motorway chasing a multiple rapist is the best idea.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Big set of bullbars on the front of every police car. Then get them to ram the bikes off the road as soon as they make it clear they have no intention of stopping, thus reducing the length of the chase, and lessening the time an innocent member of the public is at risk. If the scroat is injured by this, so be it. Oh, and be sure to charge them for any hospital treatment needed because of it.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    007 Cops given licence to kill

I thought from the title that this was something in support of giving the police this power, it which would certainly get my vote if it was.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    fridae wrote: »
    [I am trying to direct readers to an important site, but you moderators appear to have put systems in place to prevent my doing so for whatever reason.
    There's a pity. Just this very week I let one of our dangerous speeding cops pass me in a forty zone going like a hot rocket. To a RTA. No one was injured in doing so!
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've seen the Bond films and 00 means licence to kill. You don't need a petition to allow it.

Besides which Bond and 007 are fiction not fly on the wall documentaries.
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you actually bothered to research the reasoning and necessity for a change to legislation?

Seems perfectly reasonable given the below argument from the police federation representing the police.

http://www.polfed.org/campaigning/trained_drivers.aspx

Far from your view that the police service is full of young macho kids who want to turn the streets into a.race track it seems reasonable they should be able to drive fast and break some road laws (in accordance with their training) without fear of getting sent to court.

If this doesn't come in who would blame them if they just removed the blue lights and sirens from all the cars.

I'd also be interested to see how many accidents are caused each day by none police cars I bet it's significantly more than the number caused by the police.
  • Oli.s
    Oli.s Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

You do realise that the video you use to support your argument makes reference to a "high speed pursuit" and shows an American police car driving on the wrong side of the road at high speed whilst the driver is taking a hand of the steering wheel to operate the net device?

All of which would likely be regarded as dangerous driving?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options

The way things stand at the moment, a police officer driving a motor vehicle in pursuit of another motor vehicle and a police officer driving a motor vehicle in response to a call to what might be a serious incident is not instructed nor expected to drive carelessly or dangerously or recklessly and takes it upon himself or herself and assumes sole responsibility should he or she choose to drive carelessly or dangerously or recklessly and if that careless, dangerous, reckless driving causes an accident (resulting in damage, death or injury to any member of the public including the driver of the vehicle being pursued) or causes another vehicle to have an accident, regardless of circumstances that might have contributed to the accident, or the severity of the accident, the police officer who caused the accident is fully aware s/he will have no protection in law and will bear alone the consequences of his or her actions.

Crikey, what a long sentence!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    waamo wrote: »
    Besides which Bond and 007 are fiction not fly on the wall documentaries.

Really, are you sure about that..............;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure