Should I take new job - pros and cons

Options

Comments

• westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Don't forget to take off 32% for tax and NI. £227pm left.

I crunched the numbers last night on the ListentoTaxman website, after tax and NI the differential between my take home pay now and my proposed take home will be about £250.

I didn't mention earlier that I get a 5% or £125 a month payment incorporated into my current salary for working unsociable hours, my potential new job will not include this uplift as I will only be working mornings so this needs to be factored in as well.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    The key question is:

Why did you apply for the job in the first place?

Some reasons warrant a change even if the new terms are unfavourable in some ways.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    financially it doesn't sound as though there is a massive incentive to leave, however as someone who has moved employer previously to protect my sanity I think you should pick which one gives you a better quality of life.
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    financially it doesn't sound as though there is a massive incentive to leave, however as someone who has moved employer previously to protect my sanity I think you should pick which one gives you a better quality of life.

Part of the reason I'm looking to leave purely for the work life aspect is I have to work a third of my working weeks finishing at 10pm at night. Socially therefore that week is total wipe out. The saving grace is that they pay me 5% on top of my base salary when I work these hours but would prefer not to work them at all; my prospective new job will mean I work permanent mornings and get a 20% uplift on my existing salary to work better hours.
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Les79 wrote: »
    The key question is:

Why did you apply for the job in the first place?

Some reasons warrant a change even if the new terms are unfavourable in some ways.

Better working pattern, more money.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you currently claim WTC?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go for the new job. You will soon get used to the extra travel time. My thinking is because you wouldn't have applied it you were totally happy where you are. Better hours alone can often be worth more than better pay.
    Look forward as well. Would either of these jobs help you progress better than the other or are they identical in that respect?
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Do you currently claim WTC?
    I don't, no - what bearing would that have on the decision do you consider
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    Look forward as well. Would either of these jobs help you progress better than the other or are they identical in that respect?
    There's no real sign of any progression where I am, my line manager is very comfortable in the role he's been doing for a number of years and has no ambitions beyond that - there's nowhere for him to move even if he did have career aspirations as his line manager has only just been recruited about 6 months ago.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't, no - what bearing would that have on the decision do you consider

If you did, you could find that your WTC reduced as your salary increased.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure