someone elses debt letters!!

Options
I've just received my regular monthly letter, (from a well known firm of solicitors), advising me I am late in my monthly payment to my CCJ. (As always the payment was made on time.)

In the same envelope was the same pro-forma letter to someone else totally unconnected to me!!

I'm pretty horrified at this!! If a random person contacted me with details of debt mess, I don't know how much this would freak me out!

They've done this to this poor chap....they're just as likely to do it to me as well!!

Anybody have any advice on how to best proceed with this?

(I live in Scotland if that is relevant.)

Thank-you in advance.

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So it contains a letter that is correctly addressed to you, plus one that is not?

They've probably put the other letter in there by accident, then may have realised they lost it and printed another, or maybe not.

I'd say phone up and tell them. If you reckon their letter you is slightly wrong, discuss that too.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes just phone them up, its a mistake that's all.
  • biggybiggy
    Options
    Its a simple, but reckless mistake.

If the tables had been turned and this had happened to ME a year ago, I could have done something stupid.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    biggybiggy wrote: »

If the tables had been turned and this had happened to ME a year ago, I could have done something stupid.

You're not actually thinking of contacting this random person are you?

As above, just let the solicitors know someone there has made an error, and then throw this letter away.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,754 Forumite
    Options

A mistake cannot be reckless. To be reckless one proceeds in the face of known perils or dangers. There is no thought process here, it is just a mistake.

But it didn't. Just accept that they have made and error, advise them accordingly and move on with life.
  • biggybiggy
    Options
    If someone turned up on my doorstep today with this letter, I would create MERRY HELL with the firm of solicitors at recklessly divulging my details to a random person. I would pursue the complaint as far as I possibly could. If someone had turned up on my doorstep a year ago and done the same thing I would have panicked and slipped into despair. Today, I would want someone to let me know this had happened to me and I would relish the fight, but a year ago I would not. The thought had crossed my mind to contact this person, but I know what my state of mind is, I don't know what his is, so I won't. I'm not going to let it lie though, as its abhorrent they can make a mistake like this.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    edited 19 November 2018 at 3:39PM
    Options
    If someone turned up on my doorstep today with this letter, I would create MERRY HELL with the firm of solicitors at recklessly divulging my details to a random person. I would pursue the complaint as far as I possibly could. If someone had turned up on my doorstep a year ago and done the same thing I would have panicked and slipped into despair. Today, I would want someone to let me know this had happened to me and I would relish the fight, but a year ago I would not. The thought had crossed my mind to contact this person, but I know what my state of mind is, I don't know what his is, so I won't. I'm not going to let it lie though, as its abhorrent they can make a mistake like this.

Don't let it lie. Contact the solicitor and let them know they have made a mistake.

These things happen. It's clearly an error, and the solicitors will be embarrassed and glad you've bought it to their attention.

The random person will likely be better off by never knowing about this error. So just destroy the letter and never speak of it again.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Abhorrent?

!!!!!philia is abhorrent.

Bombing/gassing children is abhorrent.

Rape is abhorrent

Theresa Mays dance moves are borderline abhorrent.

Keeping hold of 4 pieces of paper when you shouldve only held 3 just isnt abhorrent.

Have you considered theres a chance youre over dramatising this as a result of the CCJ and are intent in trying to have the last word by finding abhorrent issues that the average person wouldn't think abhorrent?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What kind of fight were you anticipating having?

You would potentially get an apology, possibly but probably not a token gesture of apology but no major compensation as you have suffered no quantifiable loss.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

This is going to have been a mistake made by a probably overworked and underpaid office assistant. What sort of fight do you want with them? Are you hoping to have them sacked? If so it is unlikely to happen as the firm will see it for what it is - an embarrassing mistake.

You really do seem to be over reacting to this.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport