Where to relocate? Bishopton/erskine

Options
Hi all,

New to this forum thing so go easy on me lol. I'm relocating to Scotland after working there for last 5 years with my wife and 9 month baby girl. We are selling our house and looking to buy a new build or house that is approx 5 years old. To be totally honest I'm no expert on areas so I'm looking for some honest advice. Currently the areas of bishopton and erskine have caught our eye. As most people, we are trying to fulfill and tick some of the criteria such as good schools, quiet area, village like or community feel and spirit, low crime rate etc, close to some kind of supermarket. I work on west coast near Helensburgh so the current areas are no to far away. One concern I do have is some
Of the reports I've read about contaminated land due to ROF bishopton. Now upon visiting the developments none of them have mentioned this and to be honest If i was a development sales person, I wouldn't unless questioned. I know BAE have invested a lot of money in a clean up operation and also would never have not got planning permission if there was any risk. Any feedback, comments or suggestions are greatly welcomed.

Thanks all :j

Comments

• Snozzle
    Snozzle Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - just a quick thought - if you are working near Helensburgh would you not be better considering somewhere north of the river e.g. Cardross if you are wanting a village with a village community, school and life or Helensburgh or even Dumbarton if you are wanting a bigger town with bigger shops close by.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Many nice places north of the river to consider (even Helensburgh itself!) and definitely not the old ROF Bishopton site. Renfrewshire council are now the developers dream with green belt, golf courses, contaminated sites and locally over-stressed services being fair game as far as planning applications go. Dargavel Village has a certain ring to it, Nitroglycerin Hills less so.
  • Nosht
    Nosht Posts: 744 Forumite
    Options
    It's the same as National Government, never trust any Local Council, the members will be out of office by the time any probems arise & the officials will be long retired or moved on elsewhere.
    N.
    Never be afraid to take a profit. ;)
    Keep breathing. :eek:
    Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise. :j
  • I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2017 at 8:33PM
    Options
    The risk, albeit small, of buying anything around Helensburgh is YeSNP/Labour get into power and close the Faslane/Coulport base after which houses won't be worth beans.

In Helensburgh itself, there's new builds at Hermitage Grange, the site of the old school grounds; the the school moved to a new build down the road. Hermitage is large (1000 pupils) and is OK if not stellar, there's also Lomond School which is fee-paying.

In Helensburgh, there's a Waitrose close to Hermitage Grange and a small Tesco in the town. There's also a Co-Op but not many people like it.

In Dumbarton, there's an M&S food hall and Morrisons etc. There's quite a lot of newbuilds at LomondGate on the A82 which goes passed Loch Lomond then you can get to Helensborough or Garelochhead over the back roads
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure