Help with shared parental leave

Options
Hello, I've searched far and wide but can't find answers to a couple of questions I have about shared parental leave. Hope somebody here can help!

I work 4 on 4 off, so when it says "# of weeks" does it literally mean calendar weeks no matter your shift pattern?

If my other half isn't returning to work after her maternity leave ends, would that cause any issues?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    SMP is usually weekly based on a 7 day week. Does your partner get statutory pay or is the pay enhanced? I don’t think it will be a problem as long as she gives notice.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    The question wasn't about SMP.

The answer is easy. It has nothing to do with your shifts or working patterns - entitlement is based on calendar weeks. So it's not about the shifts you work or how you work them - all entitlement would need to be taken in "real weeks". That's why you can't find anything- because there's nothing to find :-)
  • Gleeface
    Options
    Thanks sangie, in reality I think I already knew that was the answer but just wanted clarification. :)
    Any insight on my other worry? Similar sort of situation? Can't find anything because there's nothing to find?
  • sangie595
    Options
    Gleeface wrote: »
    Thanks sangie, in reality I think I already knew that was the answer but just wanted clarification. :)
    Any insight on my other worry? Similar sort of situation? Can't find anything because there's nothing to find?
    SPL isn't something I get asked about often, so I'm a bit hazy on it. I believe that you can start it whilst she's still on maternity leave, but she must have given notice to return to work - and she must return.

This might help https://sharedparentalleave.campaign.gov.uk/
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    One of my male colleagues has been off on shared parental leave where the mother is not returning to work. Anecdotal, but implies it should be possible.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • sangie595
    Options
    I'm happy to be corrected on this - as I said it isn't my forte. We tend to have better than statutory terms, so I'm more familiar with those variations, and can't be certain what the basic entitlement is without looking it up myself!
  • Gleeface
    Options
    Thank you again, both. Did some more digging last night and it does appear that her not returning to work doesn't make a difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure