On maternity, not wanting to return to work - Looking for income ideas!

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, however my husband is a member and has told me about the great help and support he get's from people here.
I am in need some help in brainstorming ideas which can help boost our house-hold income.
Hubby works 12-hours a day, and I am a stay at home mum with our 7-month old little boy.

I have been a recruitment consultant for the last 10 years. Sadly, I don't love that kind-of work anymore, so maternity came at the right time. Neither do I wish to setup my own recruitment business as cold-calling is not my thing.

I don't have much free time, but what I do have I would like to put towards making an additional income for the family, but I do not want for me to return back to work, where we put our child into childcare, whereas the financial gain is not worth the hassle after expenses for childcare and any travel are taken into consideration, an online or at home income would be much more beneficial!

I need to earn around £800 per month to cover my maternity pay and savings which end in March.

Any suggestion big or small would be welcomed as I am really stuck for ideas, and want to start something now.

Thank you, Chelle x

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,308 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ignore the PM's from the various kleeneze/Scentsy/Herbalife catalogue scams that you will inevitably get

£800 a month is a big ask for a brand new online business or by working from home

Ignore any posts about matched betting
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,308 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Look at the swagbucks and qmee threads on here
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Don't expect to make £800 from the start, it will take you a while to build up to that level. Also be aware that, as with any self-employed income, it is going to fluctuate. Discipline is the key to any self-employed source of income and this means you do it every day, regardless of whether you feel like it or not.

I would say that unless you are going to do some kind of mind-numbing work from home - like telesales, tutoring, website evaluation then you are not going to be hitting anywhere near £800 a month. Mystery shopping has dropped off a cliff in the last couple of years and most providers wouldn't let you do it with a baby/ child in tow because you'd be distracted.

We're not allowed to mention matched betting on this forum, there is a separate one that discusses it. I tried it (after several years of trying the other advice mentioned here first). Yes, I made a few thousand but it soon dried up and don't believe anyone who says that it doesn't. It will last you 6 months to a year, if you're lucky.

Honestly, I think a better use of your time would be to learn how to cut your household expenses. So, switch energy suppliers, insurers, telephone providers etc. Learn how to cook, if you can't already and budget for everything. Read Martin's guide on how to downshift brands, shop for reduced bargains etc. Then, start to look at your interests and look into setting up your own business from home using your skills/ interests. However, I'd really advise honestly looking at whether or not you're going to be suited to self-employment. There is a great book called Career Anchors which will help you analyse your strengths and weaknesses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Career-Anchors-Changing-Careers-Assessment/dp/1118455762/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515109180&sr=1-2&keywords=career+anchors+self+assessment

If you read my signature, I have a blog detailing the best earners etc and I am in a very similar situation to you.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• scaredofdebt
    scaredofdebt Posts: 1,640 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you are willing to do mystery shopping, that could earn you £3-400 a month if you don't mind travelling, ie it's not working from home. Figures vary by location but I was able to consistently hit that figure for about 6 months when I was job hunting.

I work for Appen and that earns me around £300 a month and that is working from home.

So combine the two and you are near your £800 target.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ChelleUK wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, however my husband is a member and has told me about the great help and support he get's from people here.
    I am in need some help in brainstorming ideas which can help boost our house-hold income.
    Hubby works 12-hours a day, and I am a stay at home mum with our 7-month old little boy.

I have been a recruitment consultant for the last 10 years. Sadly, I don't love that kind-of work anymore, so maternity came at the right time. Neither do I wish to setup my own recruitment business as cold-calling is not my thing.

I don't have much free time, but what I do have I would like to put towards making an additional income for the family, but I do not want for me to return back to work, where we put our child into childcare, whereas the financial gain is not worth the hassle after expenses for childcare and any travel are taken into consideration, an online or at home income would be much more beneficial!

I need to earn around £800 per month to cover my maternity pay and savings which end in March.

Any suggestion big or small would be welcomed as I am really stuck for ideas, and want to start something now.

Thank you, Chelle x

Sorry but you're not being realistic here. £800 is doable if you have a great business idea and have the time to develop it, but you're not going to get £800 a month putting little time and effort in.

I ran an eBay business at home with my kids which made £300 ish a month, and then went onto run a wedding photography business which earned around £6-7k a year give or take around my family life, both required great effort and time.

I honestly believe £800 is achievable, but not if you don't have a lot of time or an amazing idea to start with.

As above, either go back to work, cut expenses or prepare to invest a lot of time and potentially money into your new venture, whatever it may be!
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,678 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kay, isn't the wedding photography business becoming oversubscribed with many competent amateur/ 2nd career photographers?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Chelle,

I have to agree with others that earning £800 a month will take time to build and will need dedication and specific, targeted planning.
    As mentioned previously, cutting back on outgoings will be more doable. It's amazing what you can do if you really consider what you actually 'need'.
    I went part-time, several years ago and my income more than halved. I'd also split from my husband just a year previously so the household income actually plummeted significantly. I wanted to home-ed my son and needed to be at home more to do so. I initially planned to supplement my wages with working from home and small money generating activities - survey, ebay, avon, etc. In the end though I found it easier and less stressful to just adjust to having a lower income. I even set up a moneyless community group, sharing skills, resources, etc. You need to be willing to make significant adjustments, but it's not a real hardship.
    Start by looking at what you can change without much real challenge to your lifestyle - switching energy suppliers, changing to cheaper brands, etc. Then go from there. I hardly ever buy new clothes for example. I run a free market (Give and take) and get virtually all I need from there. I also had a log burner and would forage and scavenge for firewood (I've moved now, so no longer have that option sadly). If you need household items, look on the FB free pages or Freegle. Look on the Old Style forum for ideas on stretching your grocery budget, make do and mend, energy efficiency. Grow your own food if you can, learn to forage. I've got free places at festivals by offering workshops (I make my own body-care products) for holidays. Staying at home to care for your son is doable, you just need to make some adjustments to make it happen.
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • Wizzbang
    Options
    JayneC wrote: »
    Hi Chelle,

I have to agree with others that earning £800 a month will take time to build and will need dedication and specific, targeted planning.
    As mentioned previously, cutting back on outgoings will be more doable. It's amazing what you can do if you really consider what you actually 'need'.
    I went part-time, several years ago and my income more than halved. I'd also split from my husband just a year previously so the household income actually plummeted significantly. I wanted to home-ed my son and needed to be at home more to do so. I initially planned to supplement my wages with working from home and small money generating activities - survey, ebay, avon, etc. In the end though I found it easier and less stressful to just adjust to having a lower income. I even set up a moneyless community group, sharing skills, resources, etc. You need to be willing to make significant adjustments, but it's not a real hardship.
    Start by looking at what you can change without much real challenge to your lifestyle - switching energy suppliers, changing to cheaper brands, etc. Then go from there. I hardly ever buy new clothes for example. I run a free market (Give and take) and get virtually all I need from there. I also had a log burner and would forage and scavenge for firewood (I've moved now, so no longer have that option sadly). If you need household items, look on the FB free pages or Freegle. Look on the Old Style forum for ideas on stretching your grocery budget, make do and mend, energy efficiency. Grow your own food if you can, learn to forage. I've got free places at festivals by offering workshops (I make my own body-care products) for holidays. Staying at home to care for your son is doable, you just need to make some adjustments to make it happen.

Best advice here. Lots of these things could be done with your son in the future too, to teach him great life skills. At the end of the day, all he will want is you to spend time with him, money is not the most important thing.
    Minimalist

• Wizzbang
    Options
    Thought about Avon? Won't bring in the amount you're looking for initially but long term it's a fab opportunity. From next month you can run your own business solely online from the comfort of your own home (all reps now have their own online stores).

Add in what you can save (i.e. not spend) by clicking into discounted prices across their entire range of goods* and it will definitely help your household budget so you'll need to earn less anyway - win/win! :T

*Toiletries, haircare, skincare, clothing (night/outer/leisurewear inc denim), footwear, lingerie, jewellery, perfume, bags, scarves/gloves, luggage, gifts etc etc. - not forgetting make-up! :rotfl:

If you'd like to know more just ask.

HTH. Good Luck!

Cx

There's a sales leader trying to sign you up. I was a an Avon rep once, to be fair I diid it for about 10 years until they brought in sales leaders. You'll earn a pittance at it 20p per pound, before you have to buy all your catalogues, bags etc. It's not worth it now they force you to prostitute yourself everywhere (including this forum) to get new recruits. Stay well clear!
    Minimalist

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family