Norovirus

Options
Hi all

So I am currently staying with my mum with my family as getting work done on my house. My builder came today and said he was sick all day yesterday, last night and early morning today with a runny tummy. He still went today and worked on my kitchen so spreading his gems everywhere! I was going to go around tomorrow to sort bits out and boxes etc. Should I stay clear and if so for how long?I

Am I worrying too much?

Thanks

Comments

• BananaRepublic
    Options
    I found this with Google:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus#Persistence

It lasts a long while although he might not have had norovirus. I have on several occasions had what I think was norovirus, and on one occasion didn’t sleep for a week due to vomiting etc. The problem is his germs could be everywhere, front door knob, other door knobs, kitchen surfaces etc. A good wipe with an antiseptic cleaner on these surfaces is perhaps advisable or as you suggest just stay away.

Oddly enough I always get norovirus like illnesses when on holiday from work ...
  • sandyk01
    Options
    Thanks Banana that's helpful. I popped round this morning just to check on the work and he said he had not been to the loo for 2 hours-he should have really stayed away for at least two days!

I'm thinking i won't go in for about a week- hoping they'll die by then?!
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    I can understand him wanting to work, but norovirus can kill.
  • sandyk01
    Options
    I agree! Totally selfish though spreading all those germs everywhere! He should have stayed home!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is the one that cruise lines want to avoid at all costs as it is so easily spread, and is nasty.

Wipe down all surfaces with a bleach based cleaner or water with bleach in it. Hopefully he washed his hands frequently with soap & hot water

I had this one Christmas when I was staying with friends- nightmare!- but no-one else caught it
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    This is the one that cruise lines want to avoid at all costs as it is so easily spread, and is nasty.

Wipe down all surfaces with a bleach based cleaner or water with bleach in it. Hopefully he washed his hands frequently with soap & hot water

I had this one Christmas when I was staying with friends- nightmare!- but no-one else caught it

I have some friends who cruise a lot and one of them got norovirus while on a 2 week cruise. She was required to stay in her cabin for a few days and food/drink was brought to her. Not that she felt like eating much. This worked as no one else got it, they thought she had picked up the virus before going on the cruise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure