OR Interview

Options
Morning all

As you can see from the time, im wide awake - been up all night worried sick about my OR interview today.

I have already had some contact with OR - a general chat on the phone to inform me that BR Had been approved and to set up interview and some emails regarding rent. I am a tenant and was worried about my landlord finding out & kicking me out. I was able to provide tenancy agreement and proof of no arrears which the OR said would be enough to stop any contact. Im still really scared that they will write to him.

My SOA shows a deficit of approx £200 per month. My amazing dad has offered to help me out for the foreseeable until my husband goes back to work (currently a stay at home dad for 2 yo whilst i work full time). On the phone the OR did say the interview shouldn't take long and was quite straightforward.

The tax part is also stressing me out. Being mid Feb, is it likely that they wont bother doing NT tax code? If they do, what happens to this tax?

Dont really know what Im expecting from posting. Been lurking a while and found posts So helpful! I guess im looking for reassurance & tips on dealing with a potentially very stressful phone call!

Thanks
Mom of three x

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hiya :) Early mornings were a thing for me too - waking up a silly-o-clock was the norm.
    Your interview will be fine - the OR is not there to judge, just to collect some facts.
    The advice we usually give on this board for the OR interviews is to:
    • Make sure all other phones are turned off and that you wont be disturbed
    • Have a cup or tea or a glass of water to hand
    • Have a note pad and a pen to make notes
    • Have some of your paperwork to hand so you can reference it if necessary

You are probably right about the NT code - its too late to bother doing with only2 paydays before the end of the financial year and even if they do - then you simply put the money you would have paid in tax to one side and wait for the OR's agents to contact you.
    There is no reason for the OR to write to your LL unless you are in arrears - they don't want to make people homeless, that doesn't help anyone.
  • iquit
    iquit Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's easy for me to say but from someone who has been through BR, the OR was always polite and professional. As the Gardner said, it serves no one to make you homeless. If your rent is not in arrears they have no need to communicate with or inform your LL. All the very best with your interview.
    2019 MFW No. 74 £13700/£30000 (45.66%)
    12k in 2018 No. 98 £6274.19/£18000 (34.85%)

BTL (start) £97440.00 (current) £68000.00
    Residential (start) £275000.00 (current) £268000.00
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Momofthree wrote: »
    On the phone the OR did say the interview shouldn't take long and was quite straightforward.

That's the way it looks to me too.

I think the OR will want to get you out of the way so they can deal with more complex cases!
  • broaps
    broaps Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I can remember feeling more and more nervous as the clock ticked round to the time of the interview but the whole thing was very straightfirward. I suppose you're half expecting to be told off about spending this or that but nothing in particular was picked on and she just went through the questions on the application form and asked a few questions.

We also were worried about our rented property but the OR did not contact the landlord and we have continued to live in the same property without any problems.

Good luck.
  • Maverick1103
    Options
    Hi @momofthree, I'm 12 months on so 1 year ago I went through the same experience and I've got to say I was pretty anxious about what was to come but it's been a pretty straightforward process over the last 12 months if I'm honest.

Like others have stated the OR was extremely polite and professional, at not once did I feel judged at all, my phone call took about 30 minutes and I've spoken to the OR maybe 4/5 times in these 12 months and they've always been extremely helpful.

Feel free to ask any questions about my recent experience and I'll try and help.

Good luck :)
  • Momofthree_2
    Options
    Thank you all for the supportive responses & advice. Had interview and all went fine. OR was really nice even joking with me to put my nerves to rest. Only query really was car inaurance (£95 per month) but was fine once i explained it was for 2 people- ive not been driving long and husband had an accident within 5 years.

No IPA due to no surplus.

Probably no NT code due to being late in tax year.

She said I probably wont hear anything else from her other than letter confirming no IPA.

So relieved that it seems to have gone smoothly. Now I just need to learn how to budget and live within my means to stop myself getting into similar situations in the future - any tips would be appreciated! ��

Mom of three x
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...So relieved that it seems to have gone smoothly. Now I just need to learn how to budget and live within my means to stop myself getting into similar situations in the future - any tips would be appreciated! �� Mom of three x

Glad it went well for you - you might need an alarm clock tomorrow!!

My only tips are : Set a budget and stick to it and
    teach yourself the MSE mantra " Do I need it, Can I afford it" :money:
    Head on over to the Debt free wannabe pages for some tips.
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    we are all children of the universe, we reside in this world till the next beckons, money is the root of all evil, you cannot waste what time you have here trying to do what cannot be done..........

The sun will come up tomorrow, be there to see it please.

meditation_sun.jpg
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • amizaki
    amizaki Posts: 166 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So relieved that it seems to have gone smoothly. Now I just need to learn how to budget and live within my means to stop myself getting into similar situations in the future - any tips would be appreciated! ��

I know exactly what is in your mind right now, as I had OR interview 2 months ago.

Now, positive thing..no more loan repayment...Can breathe...can have what actually we can afford... but most hard thing is habit.. like you my monthly SOA was -£200 which reflect how difficult is now change...anyway, it is hard but on the long run its a new start I believe...though still 10 months to go before discharge for me.....anyway, Good Luck for you !
  • katyp
    katyp Posts: 124 Forumite
    Options
    You will be amazed at how far your money goes when you no longer have creditors to pay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure