Creditors / Debt Recovers still try it on!!!

Options
Why do these companies persistent in contacting / chasing monies when they know it's been included in the bankruptcy?

Clearly they are trying it on but isn't there a law that they can't make contact or ask from monies once the bankruptcy has been included and agreed?

Lowell are a prime example!!!

Comments

• Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes there is a law to stop this, it’s in the Insolvency Act 1986. If you tell your OR they can write to them and tell them to back off.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What you have to realise about the purchase of second hand debt is that these accounts are often sold in bulk, so a companies entire loan book may be purchased, and the new buyer dosent know the history of every account they buy.

They will assume what they have bought is collectable until you inform them otherwise, thats why there is a disputes process, you send a copy of your bankrupcy order, and that, should be that.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Oliver2809006
    Options
    Thanks appreciate the advice.

What's stopping the original creditor selling a whole book of useless 2nd hand debts.

Seems quite a corrupt / unfair system added to the fact the hassle the borrower goes through again when they think they've seen the last of the problem and get contacted again ��
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,883 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks appreciate the advice.
    What's stopping the original creditor selling a whole book of useless 2nd hand debts.
    The answer is there is nothing stopping them.
    They sell on defaulted debt, debts included within an insolvency, debts with no legal credit agreement, there are no scrupples where money lenders are concerned, absolutly none.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Oliver2809006
    Options
    Both sides are made for each other then!
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Selling on of books of useless uncollectable debts or sub prime debts has historically been a sensible and prudent investment....

If no-one would buy these debts, companies wouldn't sell them on. Sadly preying on ignorance is a key influence here as well.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • pcoventry
    pcoventry Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had this with Lowell but once they knew the score they went away
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing