ROI salary declaration to UK

Options
Hi all, are there any people out there that know if it is the law to declare a Euro salary to the UK government through Self Assessment.

It would appear that its suggested that you should, annually through self assessment, but is it law???

Kind regards
Okanem100

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    okanem100 wrote: »
    Hi all, are there any people out there that know if it is the law to declare a Euro salary to the UK government through Self Assessment.

It would appear that its suggested that you should, annually through self assessment, but is it law???

Kind regards
    Okanem100

Where are you resident? Are you already paying tax at source in RoI?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • okanem100
    Options
    Hi, resident in N.I., but working cross the border in ROI and paying all the normal tax there.

Only have a small UK income from a house let so was declaring that through the UK self assessment.

The reason I ask is that some UK benefits are means tested which I could be entitled to, if I were not declaring my small ROI income.

When ur on the breadline, every small benefit counts.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    edited 26 June 2019 at 10:08AM
    Options
    okanem100 wrote: »
    Hi, resident in N.I., but working cross the border in ROI and paying all the normal tax there.

Only have a small UK income from a house let so was declaring that through the UK self assessment.

The reason I ask is that some UK benefits are means tested which I could be entitled to, if I were not declaring my small ROI income.

When ur on the breadline, every small benefit counts.

Well, since you own and rent out a house, you’re probably not on the breadline.

Sounds like a simple case of tax evasion.
    It’s a lot easier to get caught than it used to be, following the invention of the computer.
    How do you get access to your income? Presumably you have a southern bank account. You need pounds from time to time? Use an ATM in Northern Ireland or GB and you declare yourself as having a bank account outside the UK which you have not told the inland revenue about. Why has this apparently poor man a southern account? Pretty clear.

Is your car worth more than a couple of hundred? How did you pay for it, the insurance, the tax? There’ll be an obvious paper trail from your southern bank account if that’s how you did it.

If you stick rigidly to cash you might get away with it a bit longer, using your euro in Newry or Keady or similar, but remember you’ll be unable to buy anything any way valuable such as a house or car worth more than a few thousand without triggering anti money laundering limits. Unexplained wealth is enough to set off an investigation, since it usually means criminality of some level, as indeed it does in this case.

A lot of ways to get caught ripping off the system. The old cliche - you need to be good if you’re going to be bad. Own up and suck it up.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 June 2019 at 9:00PM
    Options
    The old cliche - you need to be good if you’re going to be bad.

:rotfl::rotfl:

Its called fraud

• okanem100
    okanem100 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Harsh, and wrong. But hey ho.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income