Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmaharris
    • By Emmaharris 20th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emmaharris
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters 20th Jun 17 at 2:23 PM
    Hi,
    Hoping I've posted this in the right place, if not, apologies.
    Bit of a complicated one. On return of a holiday to Costa Rica with Thompson we were told we were entitled to claim for a delay. Unfortunately although my stepmum was told to wait until we did it for her she went online and added all flight details to an online claims company she came across. ( Flight delay claims team. Based in Northants )
    She filled in most info then they asked her to fill in a power of attorney form and she decided not to carry on online. She received an email saying thanks for signing up with us and called them a couple of weeks later to say she didn't want to go ahead as it was being dealt with by my brother. On the phone they said that was ok and that would be the end of it. Fast forward to recent weeks and she is recieving letters saying she owes them nearly £1600 for ignored reminders, the work they did processing the claim etc. The are adding interest daily and adding charges for random stuff and I have no idea what to do next. They won't discuss over the phone and say they don't take phone calls. Have emailed and they are pretty much saying tough luck pay up.
    She hasn't heard anything from Thompson regarding the compensation but the two other people that claimed together officially with Thompson have had their money back already. ( no one knew she'd put any details in online as we all did ours with resolver )
    It's all a mess and we have no clue how to sort it!
    Any help or advice would be great.
    Thank you.
Page 28
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 21st Jun 19, 8:01 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Court Case
    Good morning Tony,

Excellent start to the weekend. Thanks for sharing with the forum, it gives people hope that it will all turn out alright, if you stay strong. Well done.

Jo x
    • clairemiddleton
    • By clairemiddleton 21st Jun 19, 4:20 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clairemiddleton
    Fdct / dcbl / court
    How this company is still trading is beyond me!!!
    Again, like all of you guys...

My sister signed what she thought was an enquiry form on 29/3/18 – FDCT got in contact on 19/4/18, obviously after the cooling off period date requesting further documents. At which point my sister had said that we did not require their services and that we were advised to go direct with the airline. From then, we received threatening emails, calls and invoices for their services of which we constantly challenged as we felt it was unfair to pay for a service that we did not receive.

Last email communication with FDCT to myself was on 11/6/19 Demanding Payment within 14 days.

Be prepared... Oh It gets better!!!

14th January 2019 at 7:00am – My sister had a visit from the Bailiff demanding a payment of Debt amount of £2147.71 - First we knew of any court action taken against us both – First Paperwork we have ever received - Very distressing experience with young children present -This was paid via credit card under threatening circumstances of taking possessions etc from the home and also attending my parents’ house where i was currently living - It was not till after that we were told we should have never of paid it! Hence why we were prepared to take this further....

Informed by DCBL following a letter of complaint – that a CCJ was issued against us both on 3/8/18 – due to non-compliance with the judgement, CLAIMENT INSTRUCTED DCBL- A High Court Writ – District Registry of Yeovil on 18/12/19 - Debt amount of £2147.71.

After Bailiff attendance it became apparent through another neighbour on the street, that Court Papers were sent to another Resident on the street, not knowing my sister or myself and she returned them back before Xmas and called and spoke to the courts and explained that the names were not known at this address. WHY DID THEY NOT LOOK INTO THIS THEIR END!!

We paid £255.00 to set the Judgement aside and the claim was transferred to the County Court at Bournemouth and Poole.

We both attended court on 19.03.19, FDCT did not have anyone show up to represent them.
    The Judge asked some questions and worked out strait away that the papers were sent to the wrong address, so we did not have the opportunity to file for a defence and also the paperwork FDCT had sent did not match ours! The Judge agreed to set the judgement aside as a result of this and advised that the CCJ's would be removed instantly and the case reopened.

We have since had to issue the court and FDCT with a statement of our defence and we have been issued a court hearing for a small claim track of which we are required to attend on 20.09.19. We have till 9th August to file all evidence to both the courts and FDCT prior to the hearing.

We are pushing to receive all costs back from FDCT + Compensation now at this stage

I will most certainly keep you posted on the outcome...
    Last edited by clairemiddleton; 21-06-2019 at 4:23 PM.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 21st Jun 19, 9:08 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    legal magpie
    If you had applied to set the judgment aside within 14 days of paying the HCEO and you notified them that you had done so, they are required to hold onto the money rather than paying it to FDCT.
    • clairemiddleton
    • By clairemiddleton 24th Jun 19, 1:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clairemiddleton
    Thank you for your message, however it was not within the 14 days as no court papers were ever received, therefore we had to hunt down the case!! Unfortunately it could take up to 8-10 working days for a response and also did not help that first time round they could not find the case number which was provided!
    Last edited by clairemiddleton; 24-06-2019 at 1:49 PM.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 26th Jun 19, 7:01 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Financial Ombudsman Link
    https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
    • Vassoulan
    • By Vassoulan 26th Jun 19, 8:57 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vassoulan
    Good morning everyone,

Well, as I mentioned before I live in Scotland, so I sent the acknowledgement back saying that I dispute the jurisdiction of the English court and asked for the claim to be struck out and I also referred to Schedule 4 paragraph 8(2).

Yesterday, I received a Notice of proposed allocation to the small claims track, which stated that this is a defended claim and if I do not believe that this track is not the appropriate track for the claim to complete box C1 on the small claims Directions Questionnaire (Form N180) and explain why, which I did downloaded.

Should I say the same as per previous, Schedule 4 paragraph 8(2)?

Does anyone know?

Thanks again guys, this group is my therapy..
    • NickHatherley
    • By NickHatherley 26th Jun 19, 11:33 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NickHatherley
    Hi

I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm in the same boat as many - quickly applied one lunchtime at work then realised I could claim directly via the airline(s) and received a very positive outcome.

Now being threatened by phone, e-mail and letter by FDCT as I "cancelled" outside of the 14 day window (via e-mail 20 days after signing up simply saying I've applied directly thank you)

BUT I live outside of the UK (ROI) and whilst I'm very keen to maintain my UK credit rating (they can't hit your credit file can they as I've not entered into a credit agreement?) I'm minded to simply ignore these guys as they have zero jurisdiction outside of the UK.

Any comments on this proposed course of action?

Thanks for any advice.
    • Mccaffs
    • By Mccaffs 26th Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Mccaffs
    I don't know much about legal stuff, only what I've read in the likes of this forum but I'd guess that if you ignore them then you're right they can't touch you as you're in ROI but i think they could get a default judgement against you which is a CCJ i think and pretty sure this could affect your credit rating.

If i was you I'd fight this as FDCT are losing case after case as the judges seem to see how they're just scammers entrapping people with legal loopholes.

My own case is still pending, I live in Derry myself so have questionned the jurisdiction too but still waiting to hear.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 26th Jun 19, 7:18 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 463 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Vassoulan. I suspect that your case will have been transferred to the Northampton County Court as you are in Scotland. You should definitely challenge the Jurisdiction of the English Court when you return your DQ and should cite the relevant authority. Ideally you could also apply for the case to be struck out by making a formal application but this would involve a Court fee. You might also write to the company inviting them to withdraw the claim on the basis that as you are in Scotland the claim should be reissued in Scotland. They may well agree.
    • Mccaffs
    • By Mccaffs 2nd Jul 19, 9:43 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Mccaffs
    Just found out today that FDCT's claim against me has been struck out. Haven't received postal confirmation yet but was told over the phone and also by e-mail and was assured I'll receive postal confirmation in the next few days.

Not sure on what grounds it was struck out but will let you know when i find out.

Obviously a huge relief after a nightmare that's gone on well over a year. If it wasn't for the positive messages on this forum and people describing how things have turned out well for them I may haven given up a long time ago and just paid up to get them off my back. So thank you to everyone for giving me hope and confidence that FDCT would get nowhere with this.

I realise they can always reapply but the person i spoke to today at the court told me they hadn't received any application and even if they do there's no guarantee it will be accepted.

Thanks again to everyone and for those whose case is still pending stick to your guns and don't give in!
    • Vassoulan
    • By Vassoulan 3rd Jul 19, 9:33 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vassoulan
    Hello everyone, so I did sent the court questionnaire back and I stated again that I live in Scotland so according to Schedule 4 paragraph 8(2) I should be taken to Scottish courts pretty much.
    And yesterday I received the Notice of discontinuance from FDCT!!!
    I let the court know and they advised me to keep it as evidence and also to email it to them at: ccmcce-filing@justice.gov.uk
    So, that's me!!!!! Finally!! I will let Vanessa at the trading standards know. I think FDCT has found out about the group maybe or that trading standards are after them and start dropping cases that they see that people are ready to fight for. This is why no-one should pay them!! Do not fear, take it to the end even if you need to go to the court, to whoever I talked to they told me that there is no Judge that is gonna act in their favor.

I hope I brought you some good new guys!!
    Last edited by Vassoulan; 03-07-2019 at 9:36 AM.
    • Davexmas
    • By Davexmas 3rd Jul 19, 4:24 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Davexmas
    Brilliant news ! Well done to the both of you !
    • Not a happy bunny either
    • By Not a happy bunny either 3rd Jul 19, 6:08 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Not a happy bunny either
    Still waiting
    Having been in Sicily with no wi fi for over a week I have come home to find no letters from dcbl and no court papers either,having read the thread from someone who says they were sent to a neighbour does anyone have the number for where they are sent so I don’t get caught out by bailiffs?Glad to hear the rest of you are fighting back.
    • SandraReeth
    • By SandraReeth 9th Jul 19, 6:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SandraReeth
    They have now invoiced me for cancelling outside of the 14 days when I have not cancelled. They also sent me a document with my signature which I never signed, it is just a dash which is obviously fake.

• Not a happy bunny either
    • By Not a happy bunny either 18th Jul 19, 3:41 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Not a happy bunny either
    Trading standards meeting
    Just had a face to face with trading standards who took witness statements from me.There is a forged signature on a document in my name but it is not a problem.The more witness statements they get the easier it will be to end this company.Please keep us informed of any developments in your cases.Chin up guys the end is nigh.
    • Tracey Rice
    • By Tracey Rice 24th Jul 19, 6:14 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Tracey Rice
    Well i am off to court tomorrow i will let you know how i get on
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 24th Jul 19, 6:19 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Court Case
    Good luck Tracey. x
    • Kalaclamp1975
    • By Kalaclamp1975 24th Jul 19, 12:55 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kalaclamp1975
    Update
    Hi just a quick update on my situation as not been on here for a while as nothing has happened until now, I had a letter back in April stating that the case against us from FDCT will be heard at the Carlisle court as we are in Scotland.
    I have just found out that the court fees have been paid And wondering how to proceed and if anyone would like to support us as these people need to stop praying on vulnerable people and instead be seen as the scammers and crooks that they actually are.
    We are due in Carlisle court on the 16th August 2pm.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks and good luck to everyone else stuck in this situation.
    • Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 24th Jul 19, 5:28 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi just a quick update on my situation as not been on here for a while as nothing has happened until now, I had a letter back in April stating that the case against us from FDCT will be heard at the Carlisle court as we are in Scotland.
    I have just found out that the court fees have been paid And wondering how to proceed and if anyone would like to support us as these people need to stop praying on vulnerable people and instead be seen as the scammers and crooks that they actually are.
    We are due in Carlisle court on the 16th August 2pm.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks and good luck to everyone else stuck in this situation.
    Originally posted by Kalaclamp1975
    Hi Kalaclamp1975,

Have you seen Legal Magpies advice to another defendant based in Scotland...

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75972602&postcount=549

May be worth reading some previous posts

Good luck
    Last edited by Tyzap; 24-07-2019 at 9:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • Davexmas
    • By Davexmas 25th Jul 19, 10:36 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Davexmas
    Good luck Tracey. Will be rooting for you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,885Posts Today

7,018Users online

Martin's Twitter