PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge

Options
PipneyJane
PipneyJane Posts: 4,067 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 2 January 2018 at 2:58PM in Old style MoneySaving
Based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations, I've decided to a "Fashion on the Ration" challenge for 2018. Since I already have an overflowing wardrobe and a yarn stash approaching SABLE*, my aim is to shop more thoughtfully. Any money saved will be a bonus. Would you like to join me?

The original ration was 66 coupons. Items of clothing had the following coupon cost:
2013+01+07+rationing-values-times.png

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
Pyjamas - 8 coupons
Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
Nightdress - 6 coupons
Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-

• 1 metre of fabric equals 1 yard. No penalty for width.
  • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw at the Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
  • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
  • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
  • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
  • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
  • Ditto trousers
  • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
  • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.

Beyond trying to find a trench coat with a warm, detachable lining to replace my almost warn out one, I don't have any clothes-purchasing plans for 2018. (14 Coupons) My quest for the coat may take a while, since I want one where the detachable lining includes sleeves. I have been looking since September.

Care to join me?

- Pip

*SABLE=Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Pip there was an article in Threads magazine about a year ago for making a detachable lining for a coat. Would that be a possibility?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Pip there was an article in Threads magazine about a year ago for making a detachable lining for a coat. Would that be a possibility?

As a last resort, yes. Thank you for thinking of it. I suppose I could always utilise my current coat's lining as a template for the sleeves, once I find a decent trench coat. (I have found one, so far, that had a detachable lining but no sleeves. It was also really poor quality manufacture - the button holes were just cut not edged.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I join please I have tonnes of clothes and also an extra large stash of fabric and wool. I am also overweight so I am trying to loose the extra that I am carrying around. So could be interesting.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    eandjsmum wrote: »
    Can I join please I have tonnes of clothes and also an extra large stash of fabric and wool. I am also overweight so I am trying to loose the extra that I am carrying around. So could be interesting.

Yes, of course. Are you another Knitter? I've done Fashion On the Ration before and found not buying yarn the hardest part. A couple of years ago, I blew almost all my "coupons" at the Knit & Stitch Show.

- Pip

• eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Yes, of course. Are you another Knitter? I've done Fashion On the Ration before and found not buying yarn the hardest part. A couple of years ago, I blew almost all my "coupons" at the Knit & Stitch Show.

- Pip

I am a knitter and Ally pally is my down fall. In the past I sewed quite a lot not so much now. So both Ally Pally and Olympia were my down fall. Also there is a very good fabric shop in Weymouth called So and Sews, its the type of shop that if it does'nt sell it then it's not made and I can quite easily spend a small fortune in there.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    There was a good "Fashion on the Ration" exhibition at the Imperial War Museum in Salford a year or so ago. Some of the clothes were fascinating-I remember a patchwork dress that must have taken hours to make.

What really struck me were the news reel films of the time. In spite of rationing everyone looked so smart. It was a shock to come out and see people wandering around in jogging pants and baggy T shirts.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh, I like this idea! My aim is to buy second-hand where I can (which I see is coupon free) but there are some things I need new and can't make (I sew and knit). Does it count if you're refashioning something - I assume that's 'free'. This might stop me buying more wool. I badly need to use some of my stash.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PipneyJane
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    There was a good "Fashion on the Ration" exhibition at the Imperial War Museum in Salford a year or so ago. Some of the clothes were fascinating-I remember a patchwork dress that must have taken hours to make.

What really struck me were the news reel films of the time. In spite of rationing everyone looked so smart. It was a shock to come out and see people wandering around in jogging pants and baggy T shirts.

I saw that exhibition when it was in London. Some of the clothes were lovely - I remember a pinstriped suit made out of a refashioned man’s suit. Beautifully cut! I’d wear it now. There was a big push to look smart during the War, because it was perceived as morale boosting.
    Ooh, I like this idea! My aim is to buy second-hand where I can (which I see is coupon free) but there are some things I need new and can't make (I sew and knit). Does it count if you're refashioning something - I assume that's 'free'. This might stop me buying more wool. I badly need to use some of my stash.

Refashioning something you already own doesn’t count. Ditto something that you purchased at a charity shop - by definition second hand - to refurbish. Buying something new and then upscaling it costs the coupons of whatever it was at purchase. To give you a real life example: during the War, my mum desperately needed a warm dressing gown. Rather than spend valuable coupons on “dress fabric” or on buying one new, she made one out of a new blanket which cost far fewer coupons.

- Pip

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I like the idea. Not sure I can stick to it totally, as I am losing weight at the moment, so some of my clothing buys are replacing still okay clothing, but in a smaller size, although I do take in clothes that I am able to.
    I think I will attempt the challenge.

My major downfall on clothing buying is tops. I wear reasonably cheap fitted tshirts, and have a tendency to spill down them :o and it doesn't always come out in a regular wash so the tops end up replaced (do recycle them as cloths)
    Does anyone have any tips for getting food stains out, especially ones that have already remained after washing and drying?
    Zebras rock
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sounds interesting I have a problem buying clothes anyway as I have lymphodema in my right arm so its twice the size of my left one .Blooming nuisance, but as its the result of treatment for breast cancer I can live with a large arm but not with cancer so I just have to put up with it .

Now my winter coat is three years old and has quite wide sleeves which is great as I can get my wonky arm through them, and I would love to buy a new coat, but as yet can't find one which would fit so I have to wear what i have and hope it doesn't fall to bits

All of my tops have short sleeves which is OK but can be a bit nippy at time Normally I have to buy stuff two sizes bigger to accommodate my arm Grr So not buying stuff this year will be a bit like the past couple of years .Apart from underwear I rarely buy much at all :):):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure