The sale of my family home as a result of bankruptcy

Options
Good afternoon all,

I’m desperately seeking advice with regards to the sale of my family home which is jointly owned with my wife and is mortgaged.

I made myself bankrupt in December 2015 with debts totalling £50000. Up until April this year I have been dealing solely with the OR making regular IPA payments. I received a letter in April from a company called Mazars (the new trustee) informing me that they intend to sell our home to realise my interest.

I believe there is going to be £70000 equity if not more so I know they are definitely going to try and sell it as we have no way of raising us 50% of that amount to buy my interest. We are waiting on a valuation through Mazars which is taking place on Wednesday.

We don’t want to move as it’s our home but this is made worse by the fact my wife is 6 months pregnant.

What I want to know firstly is can anyone explain in simple terms the process of the trustee trying to sell our house and likely timescales?

Secondly do we have any other options that I might not be aware of? My brain is well and truly frazzled from reading various information online.

Lastly I was doing some reading of the guidance notes designed to help OR deal with someone’s interest in a property. Please see below:

31.3.158 Basic process for realising the bankrupt’s interest in a property

The basic process for the realisation of the bankrupt’s interest in a property is that (subject to a minimum property value – see paragraph 31.3.159) a letter [note 5] is sent to the bankrupt and/or any joint owner to establish if any party wants to make an offer for the bankrupt’s interest (guidance on this process, and the subsequent sale, is in paragraphs 31.3.159 to 31.3.173).

We never received a letter from OR asking if we wanted to make an offer for the property. We have only just received that from Mazars. Does this constitute any breach in the process from a legal point of view. I know I’m probably clutching at straws here but I’m trying to do everything I can to enable us to stay in our family home, at least until we had the baby.

I would be enormously grateful if anyone could give me some advise so that I know where I stand after the trustee has completed their valuation.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• maxmycardagain
    maxmycardagain Posts: 5,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wait for their valuation, disagree with it, get 3 of your own, spin it out.

your wife is entitled to half the equity raised when it is sold (assuming she didnt go bankrupt and the debts were solely in your name...
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • maxmycardagain
    Options
    I have a befuddled memory of non-BR joint mortgagee's being offered the equity buy out for a very small % of the actual equity assuming it could be raised...
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mortgages are not really my area but - 50% of the equity belongs to your wife so that reduces the ORs potential return to £35K and the OR will also need to factor in the costs of selling the property and the Trustees fees and their own fees so they usually accept an offer much lower than 50%. Is there anyway you can raise anything to offer the OR?
  • WobTimus_Prime
    Options
    I think the max we could offer would be about 7500 the only other thing we could do is remortgage but that!!!8217;s going to be hard with the BR on my record. Our lenders already said no.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I imagine they need the valuation first, before they can consider what offer they might accept, so they have not necessarily missed that step.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • WobTimus_Prime
    Options
    I was just wondering if the OR should have given us the option before it was passed to Mazars but that!!!8217;s a minor point anyway.

I really wanted to get a grip of the process and our options.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,962 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Could your wife or any other family member (or friend) make an offer to buy your beneficial interest? That is something you should be investigating now.

I don't know the exact figures, but with an equity amount of £30k, the OR is going to want something. If you could chip the valuation down a bit, then there may be the possibility of the OR registering a charge on the property rather than insist on the property being sold.

You want the valuation as low as possible, so don;t make the house too tidy, or the rooms too well lit, no need for the smell of coffee/ fresh bread.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • WobTimus_Prime
    Options
    As I!!!8217;ve mentioned unfortunately we wouldn!!!8217;t be able to raise much and no family members to contribute.

Can anyone explain the process if my wife contests the sale which I believe is her right. Obviously we!!!8217;d rather come to some sort of arrangement and buy back the interest but not sure that!!!8217;s gonna be an option.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As silvercar says - pushing for a charge on the property might be an option and they may accept that along with anything you can raise to add to the pot. If you have to move you can ask for the IPA to be adjusted down too - all of which reduce the amount the OR /Trustee will get overall by pushing for a sale.
  • maxmycardagain
    edited 7 May 2018 at 7:14PM
    Options
    I think the max we could offer would be about 7500 the only other thing we could do is remortgage but that!!!8217;s going to be hard with the BR on my record. Our lenders already said no.

1st - dont offer the maximum... start at £2500

Every offer/counter offer is another month anyway

2nd - your wife might be able to get a loan against her equity?

(as a last resort)

When we had our home repo'd 30 years ago Birm Midshires came after me for £30,000

after a year they took £3000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure