Told cant have holiday

Options
Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky). However with staffing levels as they are (skeleton) Surely its not my problem that they cant allow me to have my holidays when i want to take them, this isnt the first time ive been asked to work instead but im just getting fed up of it now.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The employer can decide when you take all your holiday.

If the dates you ant are not suitable ask them which dates are suitable to take your holiday so you don't end up having to carry them over.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    I would leave, problem solved.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Ive submitted my holiday form 2 months before i want to take them ive been told i cant have them because someone else is off, My holidays run from Jan to Dec and i get 30 days a year (yes im lucky). However with staffing levels as they are (skeleton) Surely its not my problem that they cant allow me to have my holidays when i want to take them, this isnt the first time ive been asked to work instead but im just getting fed up of it now.
    As stated, they can tell you when you can and can't take holidays, so yes, it's your problem. All the employer is required to do is to permit you to take them at some point in the holiday year. So either find some dates that are suitable to them, or ask them to do so for you.
  • anamenottaken
    Options
    Muscle750 wrote: »

Well, assuming you are contracted for at least 5 days a week, they have to let you take at least 28 days in the year.

Make another selection for when you would like time off and say that if that is not acceptable to please tell you when you will be able to take the holiday before the year end.

Sadly it is your problem if they can't allow you to take your holidays exactly when you want them, no matter how long in advance you request them. What is their problem is ensuring that you do have the paid holiday time to which you are entitled at some time during the holiday year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Vote with your feet. Did this to a company I worked at for 9 months where taking holiday wasn't a priority. Ever. During the complete time. Their loss. I got out before the grievance, while they pandered to people who would go sick for the littlest things and who would be the first to refuse to help but who they would rather talk into staying. In the end I couldn't even feel sad about it and just recognised it as poor management.

What is posting on here going to achieve for you? Unless your hoping your employer works out who you are.
    You know what sort of response you are going to get if you aren't some poor unknowing first time poster, who then has their thread deleted.
  • stuartJo1989
    stuartJo1989 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Sometimes the answer is no.

For some reason people can never quite comprehend that! I used to manage and I started off being very accommodating. "Sure, it will leave us short but I'll run round and try to get cover" was my line.

Then it got to the point where I realised that I physically couldn't find cover, and that's when the "no" cropped in.

That's when I suddenly realized that people generally don't respect the boundaries/processes. They just want to hear the "yes", they don't give a monkeys beyond that. They either have no comprehension of the word "no", or they aren't actually putting in a holiday request but rather a holiday demand ;)

To be honest though, I actually had more respect for the people who (blatantly, I might add, although usually not provable) recognised the staffing deficit and rung in sick because they knew that a holiday would never be approved! Or those who put in holidays around work schedules (I loved those people!).

If I were your boss I'd probably sit down and discuss the reasons for the decision and offer you alternative dates. As you've submitted the request, I would also be compelled to consider going down the discipline route if you ended up being off sick during that period of time. But that's just me, not necessarily how others would do it.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options

What is posting on here going to achieve for you? Unless your hoping your employer works out who you are.
    You know what sort of response you are going to get if you aren't some poor unknowing first time poster, who then has their thread deleted.
    What is this supposed to mean? Is there anything in the advice here that is legally incorrect? No. The OP asked a question and they were given an answer. The correct answer. Now if that is sufficient to cause them to wish to leave their job, that's up to them. But you, on the other hand, just keep on slating other posters for things they haven't done, and slating the site. If you have such a low opinion, why exactly are you here? Since you appear to not be some "poor unknowing first time posters", if you don't like the site, perhaps you should sling your hook? Unless, of course, you write the laws, in which case you could rewrite them to suit people, then the answers would be what they want them to be and not what they actually are.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Nearly all employers would have to say no if too many staff all asked to be off at the same time, they need some people in. Talk to your employer as soon as you start thinking about dates for leave and before setting your heart on them.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    You've been complaining about this since 2013! You've been given the same advice time and time again.

I've little sympathy for someone that fails to do anything to improve their situation in four years.
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    You've been complaining about this since 2013! You've been given the same advice time and time again.

I've little sympathy for someone that fails to do anything to improve their situation in four years.[/QUOTEAnd instead of making such comment please enlighten me how i can improve the situation i get 30 days holiday plus all the bank hols xmas etc so after 20 years plus in same company with pensions etc please tell me i must be missing something
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure