MMD: Should I claim money from cash-strapped council?

Options

Comments

• diggingahole
    Options
    100% do not pay again, the council should have sent it recorded delivery if they put a £20 value on sending you a permit to park outside your own home.
  • 114894dk
    114894dk Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Despite massive cuts to council funding this was their issue - onus on the sender - you should not pay. And yup, Oldham finds the money for massive vanity projects, at the expense of the basics - I'm sure other councils are the same.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you make and retain a copy of your renewal application by any chance? If so, you might be able to convince the Council that it was their negligence that led to the loss of the original permit. It is possible, though, that someone intercepted your letter and is using a valuable permit for their own benefit.

I can see why the Council wants to charge extra for the replacement. They doubtless do so as a deterrent to fraudsters who claim not to have received their permit, get another, and pass or sell it on to someone else.

I agree that money is tight with all local authorities, but it shouldn't excuse mistakes made by their employees, so lodge an appeal if you still feel your Council is at fault.
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Is it worth all that faffing around for £20? I know this is a money-saving site but you could spend a lot of time trying to sort it out that could be used in better ways. I appreciate it's galling and their responsibility, but...
    Our council don't issue paper permits at all now, all done online, which saves some bother as long as you remember to renew it!
  • Santamaria
    Options
    Councils don't care how little money some council tax payers have, they still want payment in full. And, as other posters have said, if they did not waste money on vanity projects and excessive salaries to senior management, they would not be as cash strapped as they are. You should not hesitate to pursue your claim, give them a taste of their own medicine.
  • kasam1986
    Options
    It was lost in the post and you did not received it or maybe they didn't send it . 100% they should pay for the replacement.
    They should of cancelled the one that got lost in the post and sent you another one...They shouldn't of charged you the £20 that's just cheeky!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    crmism wrote: »
    I can see why the Council wants to charge extra for the replacement. They doubtless do so as a deterrent to fraudsters who claim not to have received their permit, get another, and pass or sell it on to someone else.

I agree that money is tight with all local authorities, but it shouldn't excuse mistakes made by their employees, so lodge an appeal if you still feel your Council is at fault.
    Is it worth all that faffing around for £20? I know this is a money-saving site but you could spend a lot of time trying to sort it out that could be used in better ways. I appreciate it's galling and their responsibility, but...

I agree with Augustus the Strong and crmism - I understand why there's a replacement charge and think avoiding the stress of faffing with the council is well worth £20 to me, but would make at least one polite enquiry requesting my money back under the circumstances, and then let it go if I'm refused reimbursement. This time anyway!
  • _nate
    _nate Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If your council is so cash-strapped that it causes you such concern, why not instead send them a cheque for an additional £20 to help out?

Alternatively, you could consider not raising such preposterous issues as hypothetical dilemmas.
  • Bristow
    Bristow Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    NO. NO. NO. They did not (allegedly) receive it, and if you posted it to the correct address, there is no reason why it should not have arrived, so they should pay. But when council elections come round, look at who the councillors are who permit these so-called 'officers' to get away with such sloppy behaviour and ask them why they permit this. There are problems with mail, but this sounds an excuse too far.
  • Philjak13
    Options
    Given that the permit wasn!!!8217;t received, the responsibility to provide one remains with the council.
    My experience of LAs suggests they are incompetent, rapacious organisations like many forms of government.
    On the other hand a free parking permit for £20.00 is still a great deal. Pragmatism May be your best choice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure