Is there something easier than Recruitment, but just good as pay?

Options
I have been through six Trainee Recruitment Consultant interviews in London the past month and even one I got through several stages to be rejected at the end. I don't live in London and I really would love to move ASAP, but I don't have a job yet. I haven't gone to uni for my own reasons, the reasons I had been rejected was either I was not a graduate or they do not think I got the right experience. There was a time I did speak too fast and fumbled over my words out of nerves, ruining the good flow of the interview. I wish I could go back in time and change that. I can't apply for the same places again too soon.

Of course not all of them cared I wasn't a graduate nor had recruitment experience, my selling point really was the income I have made so far being an independent home business owner. As the stages of the interviews progressed, and the many rejections I faced already, I wonder if Recruitment may not be for me after all.

Thing is London is expensive to live and travel around so I need something that pays at least 1,500 a month after tax. I really want to work on my sales and people skills so I can work on my E-Commerce Business on the side.

I want something that is Entry level, I do not need a degree, is decent pay (to at least live commutable distance from the city centre)

I have applied to Sales roles, like Sales Executive or "Brand Ambassador" and I was basically lured into door-to-door sales (they only tend to "show" it to you at the end) and I don't want to do that. I want something office based and that deals with people.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Would working as a recruitment assistant or administrator help build experience? Then possibly look into achieving a CIPD qualification?
  • hanatical
    hanatical Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    That's the thing, I have applied to as many admin jobs as I have Recruitment, and none of the admin jobs have replied to me, only the recruitment jobs have. It almost feels like Admin jobs do not exist.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What has happened to your home work business?

Recruitment is very high presssure sales, this type of roll will often not employ people they think are not really hungry to earn big money.

If you have another stream of income they may think this will affect your drive or distract you
  • hanatical
    hanatical Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I use the income from that to pay off my parent's bills. It is a tremendous achievement for someone my age. That's why I had been granted interviews.

What I'm really asking is what other options could be out there for me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You have to remember with recruitment though, is it a recruitment consultant role you want that focuses on targets or are you wanting to work in general recruitment for a businesses HR department when you won!!!8217;t be target focused?

General administration would be your ideal opportunity.

Other than that, possibly contact centre work which will help build customer service, people focused, target setting experience as well as develop your communication, interpersonal and organisational skills too.

Recruitment by far is not easy to get in to but is not impossible either.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    P.s..Is achieving a degree not an option?
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »

Other than that, possibly contact centre work which will help build customer service, people focused, target setting experience as well as develop your communication, interpersonal and organisational skills too.

Recruitment by far is not easy to get in to but is not impossible either.

Judging by the OP's posts, that would be a very good place to start.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You are looking for an entry salary of £21.5k+ which I don't think is impossible, but will be hard without a good degree and will have a lot of competition.

From your post you will need to be careful about coming across to potential employers as going to take their training and run as soon as your own business picks up enough, or have it distract your efforts from their job.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you are getting interviews, I would stick with it and keep applying for recruitment jobs.

The job market is so competitive at entry level that there can be hundreds of applicants for each place.

The fact that you are getting interviews and through to the end of the process shows you are a viable candidate. You'll be getting better at it each time, so don't give up!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure