Charging Order? The myth

Options

Comments

• eggbox
    eggbox Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't give up just yet. If your bank is acting like an idiot then the best solution maybe a "secured" loan?

These are loans that are secured against your property (similar to a mortgage) but which rates are a lot lower than the, comically, named "unsecured" loans that attract much higher interest rates. Lenders, also don't require their charge on the deeds to be the first one (as the amount they are lending is much lower than a mortgage) as would be the case with a remortgage? Lending criteria is also a lot lower than mortgages so they tend to be easier to obtain?

So you could do this to pay off the CO and then approach the bank for a remortgage for the extra lending required and to settle the secured loan at the same time? Or, it may be a lot easier to just forget the CO is there and obtain the loan you require through the "secured" loan and cut out the remortgage altogether?

If the CO isn't attracting interest then that may be the best option as it will only decrease in value the longer it remains unpaid?
  • mintminty59
    mintminty59 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    The re mortgage was to satisfy everything I owe out currently , which are all green and fully up to date, and to raise a deposit to move onto a new place.

I dont think any interest is being charged because I didnt think there was a right to do so, as I have not seen any claim forms from the court. I did call them and they said its going to be hard to find them due to the age of the claim "although not impossible"

I will try the bank again, and I guess I have to suck up this CO and get it out the way.
  • eggbox
    Options
    The re mortgage was to satisfy everything I owe out currently , which are all green and fully up to date, and to raise a deposit to move onto a new place.
    Sorry, I've got to be missing something here?? Why would you be trying to raise a deposit for a new property from a re-mortgage on your existing property?
  • mintminty59
    Options
    It is do consolidate all my existing borrowings, my current property is being converted to a buy to let mortgage as I have a lot of equity in it which I am trying to release. I am wondering if its worth me finding a solicitor to argue this case with it being since 2006 with no attempts and getting a payment from myself.
  • eggbox
    edited 4 July 2018 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Unfortunately, using the "no payments" argument is a non starter as they've "secured" repayment for the debt by attaching a CO to an asset you own? Having done that; the Law views that the creditor has the right to decide if, and when, it takes any further action to collect on that debt?

As the CCJ behind the debt also isn't subject to becoming statute barred; you won't have any legal argument that could remove the CO on a time basis?

Your only chance of removing the CO is to try and get the original CCJ set aside if you believe it's been granted unfairly? This could be because you can DEFINITELY PROVE you, either, don't owe the debt or that you were never notified of the Court action and were, therefore, unable to defend the legal action against you?

If you can prove the first reason then you have no problem? If you can prove the second (but do owe the debt) then you should still apply for set aside of the CCJ for the following reason.

The account concerned will be subject to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA1974) as being before April 2007 after when it was updated. As such, the contract will be subject to having to include certain terms and conditions to be enforceable? If those conditions weren't included in the contract then the debt is barred from being recovered through Court action?

So, if you are able to get the CCJ set aside; then you are entitled to request a copy of the contract concerned under s.78/79 of the CCA 1974. If the creditor cannot provide this (which is highly likely after such a long period of time) then they are unable to proceed with any Court action until it is supplied or a "true copy" is provided? Even if they can still provide; the contract stands a high chance of being unenforceable if the T&C's required aren't in the prescribed form?

Some people will tell you that after such a long time you won't get the CCJ set aside but ignore them if you have the proof required?
  • mintminty59
    Options
    What an excellent post , so I should request a copy of the signed original credit agreement with the terms and conditions "from that year" if they are unable to supply me that, then I have grounds to have the CCJ set aside?

I am not sure I can prove I was never informed to attend court as that evidence would not exist in either direction
  • eggbox
    Options
    No, once a CCJ is granted it supercedes any contract. So you need to show grounds that the CCJ shouldn't have been granted (for either of the reasons above) and apply to get the judgement set aside?

Once that is achieved it resets the dispute so the creditor can still apply for the CCJ but you will be able to defend the action brought against you.
  • mintminty59
    Options
    Aha I see that makes perfect sense, I am not sure how easy that is going to be to prove either way. If they re apply for a CCJ and it does get granted again is that another entry on my credit file for 6 years? I am just trying to asses the chances of success and the risks
  • LisaJe
    LisaJe Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this the same as Equity release? My parents borrowed money 10 years ago (ish) and repayment is 5x the original amount borrowed once the property is sold. We are unsure of what the details are as it was done some years ago and my parents can't remember much about it. However the advice from a solicitor is that we would only have 6 months to sell and complete or they could force us to give it to them to sell via auction for a quick and probably vastly reduced price . It was done without our knowledge or involvement and are worried what they signed up for without realising it. Anyone have any advice?
  • eggbox
    Options
    You will be the best judge of how likely it is you can persuade a Judge you never received any Court papers? Court papers are deemed as being served at the last known address the creditor has for you? If you weren't living at that address its easier than if it was the address you were residing in?

I don't think there is much risk just the cost (£255 Court fee) as if you did manage set aside, but the Judge still granted a CCJ, you have 30 days to pay before the CCJ is registered on your file? So it gives you the opportunity to "pre-arrange" paying off the debt if you are unsuccessful in Court leaving, therefore, no stain on your credit file?

Unfortunately, its all down to the judge on the day if he feels set aside should be granted so there is little you can research to see how successful you will be? But you can research the contract you had to see if other people, with similar agreements, were successful in finding the contract was unenforceable as it didn't have the prescribed terms?

If it was enforceable then it probably isn't worth applying for set aside? But if the reverse is true then its a £255 shot to nothing?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback