Distance learning

Options
I started a course with Oxford open learning not long ago and they sent me revision books out. I filled a standing order sheet and paid for 2 months however I have now cancelled it due to their pathetic tutors who don't give a toss.

This means I still owe them around £400 in effect. This would only be money to pay for their tutor support.

Can anything be done about this??
TOTAL OUTSTANDING DEBTS CURRENT BALANCES: Allied International - £3359.61, Blair Oliver & Scott - £1394.65, Lloyds TSB - £211.22, Lloyds TSB - £3125.80, Wescot - £966.25
ESTIMATED CCCS DEBT FREE DATE: April 2019. I aim to be debt-free by 2014 at the latest.

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I think you need to be more specific with your complaint, 'don't give a toss', tells us nothing at all. Did you put your complaint in writing to them? Did you read the small print in the contract you signed? Was there a get out clause? Were they not delivering the course as stated in their literature? Can you request a different tutor to finish the course? Have you spoken to them in a civilised manner, rather than calling them a load of !!!!!!?
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • dannyfleetwood
    Options
    I rang them up and complained that with the support I am getting I don't feel as though I am able to finish the course. Tutors are quick to send out letters saying coursework hasn't been sent in but offer no support when trying to contact them. The fees are to simply pay for the tutor but I don't see why I should continue. There are some bad reviews about them too on google.

There wasn't a contract it was just a piece of paper to set up a standing order.
    TOTAL OUTSTANDING DEBTS CURRENT BALANCES: Allied International - £3359.61, Blair Oliver & Scott - £1394.65, Lloyds TSB - £211.22, Lloyds TSB - £3125.80, Wescot - £966.25
    ESTIMATED CCCS DEBT FREE DATE: April 2019. I aim to be debt-free by 2014 at the latest.
  • Rosie-Lea
    Options
    By purchasing their course, there would have been terms and conditions somewhere. They will adhere to the Distance Selling Regulations (2000) which means you would have to notify them of a cancellation within 7 working days of receiving the materials.

The other comment is correct, you need to be more detailed with your complaint. The tutors will be there for you to contact and for assignment marking. If you have had any problems with not getting feedback or answers within a set amount of time then you should put that in to a complaint and send it to them.

If you cannot prove that there has been a problem then you will most likely be eligible for the full amount that was agreed when you signed up for the course.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Rosie.

Did you explain to tutors why you didn't send in coursework at the required time? If you had someting else going on in your life which was affecting your concentration, therefore distracting you, you should have sent a letter explaining why you were getting behind.

I find it strange that you make a large purchase commiting yourself to paying a lot of money, yet have nothing in writing to say what you are buying. If you found the course on the internet, they have to include in their web site what your rights are as regards dropping out of the course. They are also bound in law by the Distance Selling Regulations, so you need to find out if they have breached that.

If you have a genuine gripe against the company you need to get evidence in writing as to how they have not fulfilled their obligations. Did you keep a record of what was said on the phone, who you spoke to, date and time of call? If you can remember it would be helpfull for your case. It could be unlucky that you chose to sign up with a rogue company, if that's the case, you would help others by following this up and getting a result in your favour.

Just one more point, you say the money they say you owe is for paying the tutor, maybe your contract is with the tutor, and the company is just a front for the self employed tutors they have on their books. You need to find out who your contract was with, even though you say you don't have one.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills