• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    Popping in to subscribe will read this afternoon and catch up x
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I've done yoga with Adriene after a recommendation from sashybo and it's wonderful - different ones for different moods etc. Definitely give it a go :D
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    kirtsypoos wrote: »
    I've done yoga with Adriene after a recommendation from sashybo and it's wonderful - different ones for different moods etc. Definitely give it a go :D
    Thanks Kirsty! I will definitely check out her channel now :)
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Usually its just sitting around talking! I've done some in the past where we have to do a little task before the group (bringing clippings of adverts we like; taking photos of makeup displays in shops; making a collage about a holiday destination) but most of them have just been turning up to take part in a discussion. Sometimes they show you an advert or samples of a new product, sometimes they want a more general chat about ideas for a new product and I did a couple at the beginning of the year that involved testing websites or apps and talking through what was good / bad about them. I'd say the average reward for taking part is about £50 but some pay a lot more (one of my friends took part in research about cars and he got paid £300! :eek: )

I did a Focus group In January it was a 2 part one, I ate lots of chocolate cakes & biscuits and got paid £100.
    JoJoC wrote: »
    Another one agreeing with the big weekend of spending! It's so hard not to when we work hard all week and don't get to spend much time during the week with the kids (5.30pm until bedtime at 7pm) so weekends are our time!

We frequently go out for brunch or to parks with picnics then spend on ice creams and juice for everyone etc. As soon as our plans involve other people, too, it becomes so much more difficult to rein in the budget.

Seems its a common pain!

I also have this problem. I think it's natural to want to "treat" the kids as we're not home for them as much as we'd like. My Dh is also weird about picnics. He just doesn't like sandwiches and my 7yo is so fussy it's a nightmare!

Good to see your plans coming into fruition GC. :T

Naomi
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Had a lovely weekend away, we did a 14 mile walk on Saturday. Saturday night was very cheap because I was so tired that all I wanted to do was have a bath and go to bed!

I'm off work today and I've managed to fit a few appointments around the long anticipated and saved-for deep clean at home. I'm sitting in GP waiting room now waiting for my appointment and looking forward to getting home to a sparkling clean flat :) Oh, and my sofa has been fixed!

The rest of this week will be really intense at work, we've got a whole load of meetings & workshops going on, plus three dinners out with colleagues. I wish there was a way of spreading them out over the month but it will be nice to catch up with everyone and at least these are paid for by work.
    I've been able to hold off doing a big food shop as I'll be getting lunch and dinner at the workshops & there's enough in the freezer and cupboards to feed my husband for most of the week. I just need to pick up some bread, milk and fruit today.

I had two eBay sales over the weekend too, so I'm about half way to my target of £50 extra for an additional MBNA payment by 31st May.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hope your place will look marvellous! Sounds amazing.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hope your place will look marvellous! Sounds amazing.

It looks fantastic :) I'm a bit gutted that I will be out so late most evenings this week and won't get the maximum enjoyment out of it.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It looks fantastic :) I'm a bit gutted that I will be out so late most evenings this week and won't get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

Surely a good thing as it wont get messed up so quickly:D
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Just checking in ... last day of meetings, really looking forward to a rest this weekend! I've had two NSDs this week and aiming for at least one more. Not much else happening on the MSE front other than that!
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    I saw this post on the reddit Personal Finance forum yesterday (I lurk there for ideas, but only post here :) )
    When tightening your budget, commit to simultaneously raising your quality of life by any means available to you. I'm talking about things like taking advantage of everything that's free (libraries, museums, galleries, national parks, whatever floats your boat), tidying up and shifting things around in your home so it looks better, making time to hang out with people who lift you up, preparing the food and playing the music and wearing the clothes you like the best. It helps the whole experience to be positive and uplifting and empowering instead of just feeling like deprivation.

It made me think how much I have always assumed that an increase in quality of life would have to involve spending money. Over the past month I've done lots of things that were free or very cheap (like a couple of pounds) that have helped lift my mood ... I'm going to have a think about what else I could do to improve my quality of life during this debt busting journey.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback