PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We went sailing in the highlands last summer and used the Avon so soft......we didn't have a single bite,we mentioned it to the lock keepers who were covered in bites.It really seems to work and it's not expensive.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Buggalugs has stormed off in a huff.

She caught me stroking a neighbour's cat.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Buggalugs has stormed off in a huff.

She caught me stroking a neighbour's cat.
    :p You tart! No wonder she left!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    She didn't stay in a huff for very long.

She turned up about half an hour ago, for her tea.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well done that KARMAKAT, gold star for thrift and innovation and milk bottle top medal for being clever and perseverance!!!
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Nice one, Karmakat, I'll keep an eye out on your blog.
    Thank you both **beams happily** it's the preparedness one, so I'll put a linkie up on here for a day or so, and anyone else can pm me.
    Interestingly, bearing in mind that this is peak season for allotmenteering and that it has been a pleasant sunny weekend, there are many plots which have had little or no attention and which are reverting to hay meadows.

Obvs, one cannot know the personal circumstances of dozens of strangers, and what challenges they may be facing which are taking their time away from gardening, but I find that a lot of new(ish) plot-holders aren't stayers. Work commences in a burst of enthusiam, but effort quickly tails off.
    You and kittie both doing 3 hours in one go floors me, GQ - thats a huge amount of energy, well done both. I do about that each week on my garden, and practically nothing over the last few years as I coped with work. I'm catching up now, but there are still brambles and perennial weeds that need hoicking out.
    I've just been chillaxing with a cuppa and reading a blog which has a weekly feature called What Did You Do For Your Preparedness This Week?

How do people feel about running a featurette in the thread along this nature? Interested, or not?
    I always love hearing about what people are actually doing. I have:
    - sorted *all* the storecupboard easy recipes I had, all in one folder now, all a very similar format, all easy to search.
    - carried on getting rid of the box hedge - the sun gets to double the amount of the garden it used to, with all the de-hedging I'm doing.
    - weeding. See aforesaid brambles and perennial weeds :o
    - started on lining the curtains in my 2nd bedroom - I bought a fleece from Wilko that cost £3, thats what I'm using. I've pinned it up, and sewed, erm, about six inches. I'm even using a thimble!
    - worked on the rocket stove again :j
    Save
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that's a good idea for us in here. This week my preps have been. Erm.
    Hmmm.
    Well.
    None yet :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    This week my preps have been. Erm.
    Hmmm.
    Well.
    None yet :rotfl::rotfl:
    Well, its Monday :D

Fireproof cement was going off, so I've used all that I can and thrown the rest, with the result that the tins look like they're covered in boringly coloured plasticine. Nothing doing now till its set, which will take a few days, and I'll clear out the "chimney" and set an experimental fire.

Still nice outside. More hedge pruning to come.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes 3 hours and didn`t I pay for it last night!! I could not get to sleep at all, eventually realised that it was because I was aching, hips and arms. Simple solution, got a spare pillow and put it between my legs, I am a side sleeper and then I slept like a babe.

It was only 3 hours on the lottie because I had grass paths and edges to do as well as the normal stuff, as the village has an open day soon

Plumber is here now, new toilets and haha not easily fitting in, flipping stupid how there are so many different fittings. Thank goodness for a good man who isn`t averse to cutting into wooden boxing

Straight after breakfast I moved three very heavy lilac trees in three stone pots, the shoving, turning method. There is one hole at the bottom and all three were well rooted through the holes. They look much nicer where they are now and I can see them, anyway I thought I might as well go all the way with the aches, hopefully have done with them in one go in a couple of days

Does anyone else put washed pebbles on the surface of their pots? They do seem to help keep the soil moist. I was looking around the garden and none of my plants are directly in the ground, yet it looks lush, green and healthy
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I put pebbles on the surface of some pots, those that might not get quite as much rain as others in different positions in winter. It does seem to hold what they do get.

Prepping at the moment is just food growing but I do need to get better about storing for the winter.

I was having a tidy and sort out of the cupboard of doom at the weekend and it set me thinking about what could be bartered in a moneyless/going back to basics situation. I don't think they'd be any takers for our hundreds of DVDs except perhaps as cat scarers.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I was going stir-crazy at work today with the sun shining and me stuck indoors. Hurtled home, changed into the scruffies and pedalled off to the plot.

Was up there for about 20 minutes and planted 3.5 double rows of the runner bean seeds which I'd had soaking for 24 hours. You can leave runner and broad bean seeds for up to 48 hours like this but I needed to get them sown as tomorrow is GP appt after work then archery - if I'm luck I'll meet myself coming the other way as am out tonight at book group, just trying to hustle up a lift.

I've sown extra runners because it's a bit dicey having them in open ground because snails and their shell-less breathren really like chewing on them. Apart from the snails I found yesterday when clearing this patch of earth, of course.

The two which were busy making the beast-with-two-shells were tossed in the direction of the young blackbird which has replaced the robin as my gardening sidekick.

T'other snail was put on the birdtable along with two leatherjackets and became a fly-by snackette for a passing birdie.

:p Ah just love organic pest control.

kittie, that trick with the pillow is one my Alexander Technique teacher recommended for us side-sleepers. Sadly, I need to go buy a pillow as only have the one and have been a bit too busy to get to a shop - I do very little shopping which isn't grub.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills