£30 for three smart Wi-Fi plugs (norm £75)

Options
MSE_Rhiannon
MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
edited 7 January 2020 at 3:38PM in It's gone, but was it any good?
If you're looking for a cheaper alternative to buying loads of smart light bulbs or anything else you'd plug in, these are pretty nifty - no hub required either. Normally £24.99 each at Argos, there's an offer on until Tue 21 Jan where you can get three for £30 - the cheapest I've seen since Black Friday when they were £12 each at Amazon.

I got these as a Christmas present, and they're really easy to set up and control from the Kasa app, the Google Home app, or the Google Home Mini. "Hey Google, lamp on" sounds like science fiction to me still, but at £10 each these are a great start to a smart home :j (They also work with Alexa but I don't have her in my home because she doesn't speak Japanese :rotfl:)

If you're looking for smart bulbs, the Kasa bulbs are also on 3 for £30 at Argos (norm £39) or they're £12.49 each at Amazon. Do check the fitting to be sure you're picking up the correct one :)
Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.

Comments

• quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 January 2020 at 2:32PM
    Options
    Would love some of these but sadly having checked about 50 100 odd stores, 9 out of 10 of them have ZERO stock. :(

The remaining 1 in 10 with stock only have 1 or 2 of them at £24.99 each - since you need 3 to get the discounted price.

Found 1 2 stores with 3 :T but 120 or 180 mile round trip to collect them.

And they are not "in stock" for Home Delivery :doh:
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    Options
    quoia wrote: »
    Would love some of these but sadly having checked about 50 100 odd stores, 9 out of 10 of them have ZERO stock. :(

The remaining 1 in 10 with stock only have 1 or 2 of them at £24.99 each - since you need 3 to get the discounted price.

Found 1 2 stores with 3 :T but 120 or 180 mile round trip to collect them.

And they are not "in stock" for Home Delivery :doh:
    If you're looking to control lights, there's a 3 for £30 on Kasa smart bulbs at Argos, too? Alternatively, they're £12.49 each on Amazon. Hope that helps :)
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
  • laticsforlife
    laticsforlife Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have 4 of the SZMDLX ones from Amazon (£13.89 for 2). They do much the same and connect with Alexa very well.

The only downside I can see is they need a 2.4ghz wifi frequency to set them up, mine that chucks out both 2.4ghz and 5ghz tends to stop it from connecting (regardless to what is says in the description on Amazon, I can't get them to connect using my dual frequency phone, even if I turn the 5ghz radio off).

I use an older phone that only uses 2.4ghz wifi, for them to connect to that initially, then once set up I can use the eFamilyCloud skill within the Alexa app to control them and can name them, group them etc (no need for the old phone afterwards).
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing! ;)
    Quidco and Topcashback, £4,569
    Shopandscan, £2,840
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
    British Airways EU261/04 Claim, EUR1200
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 January 2020 at 5:20PM
    Options
    I can only find one in my area too

I use these at home brilliant with app or use alexa, you can name each plug names like "fan" and tell Alexa to turn fan off. Very easy to set up too and comes with builtin (at least mine does) record of how long the device has been on and how much energy it uses, they may have changed since then not sure

They only work on 2.4ghz wifi

https://amazon.co.uk/TECKIN-Socket-Function-Control-Required/dp/B07STZ1V3J

This is pack I got in Nov 2018 https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVJYV3G
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    Options
    savemoney wrote: »
    I can only find one in my area too

I use these at home brilliant with app or use alexa, you can name each plug names like "fan" and tell Alexa to turn fan off. Very easy to set up too and comes with builtin (at least mine does) record of how long the device has been on and how much energy it uses, they may have changed since then not sure

They only work on 2.4ghz wifi

https://amazon.co.uk/TECKIN-Socket-Function-Control-Required/dp/B07STZ1V3J

This is pack I got in Nov 2018 https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CVJYV3G
    Ooh that lightning deal is good isn't it! :eek: seems the ones you've linked work very much the same as the ones from Argos - worth it if you can get a good price :T
  • penny-pincher
    Options
    You might find it helps if you can rename the 2.4 & 5GHz channels separately, via your router settings. E.g. Simply add "-24" or "-5" to the end of theSSID name.
    Then the device you want to connect can see two separate SSIDs.

As an aside, early Macbooks had this problem too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure