Irlen syndrome

Options
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with irlen syndrom my son is 9 and his teacher has suggested getting him tested for this I'm based in Sheffield but I've got No idea where to go I've searched and there's non local also would I be able to get this done on the nhs as it's looking to be quite expensive at least £200

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,203 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have moved this to a more appropriate board. OP medical advice is not allowed on this board but it might be that someone can suggest a source or somewhere to try for more information.

The logical place to try first though is your GP, I would never rush into any private tests or assessments until you have checked with an NHS medical professional, they can guide you if necessary or support you through the NHS if there is help available.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mkchalloner
    Options
    Thankyou for that I'll make a appointment at the doctors tomorrow
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would also ask around your local opticians. We were lucky in that we were told about an optician who had an interest in dyslexia and related problems. She tested my son during an NHS eye appointment and prescribed glasses with the right colour lenses for him.

As a temporary measure, you can also buy coloured plastic overlay sheets and see which colour helps with reading. They won't be the precise colour that helps best but could be useful in the interim.
  • Mkchalloner
    Options
    Thankyou I have made the doctors appointment so going to wait and see what they suggest
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    'Irlen syndrome' has no decent medical evidence behind it and so will not be funded by the NHS.

Their is quite a large placebo affect from giving kids coloured filters

You will need to find a 'behavioural optometrist' who has an intrest in this area but it will be expensive.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is sometimes some scope to have this tested for and treated at universities that teach optometry but the test is usually £150 and the answer is usually "your favourite colour".
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    There is sometimes some scope to have this tested for and treated at universities that teach optometry but the test is usually £150 and the answer is usually "your favourite colour".

I print out things at school on different coloured paper/change the background colour even without a formal diagnosis - for hulking teenage boys to ask if I could give them a baby pink copy because it's easier for them to read suggests to me that there might be more to it than it being their favourite colour; even if it's only actually white paper bounces the awful institutional lighting off the page more than a pale tint does, it's still a useful way to make things a bit easier.

Is it possible for the school to try doing this routinely without a formal diagnosis? It's a lot cheaper to stick a wodge of pink/blue/green paper into the photocopier or select a different background if you have a colour printer than paying out for filters - and if there is a diagnosis, it's a way of managing in the meantime.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I print out things at school on different coloured paper/change the background colour even without a formal diagnosis - for hulking teenage boys to ask if I could give them a baby pink copy because it's easier for them to read suggests to me that there might be more to it than it being their favourite colour; even if it's only actually white paper bounces the awful institutional lighting off the page more than a pale tint does, it's still a useful way to make things a bit easier.

Is it possible for the school to try doing this routinely without a formal diagnosis? It's a lot cheaper to stick a wodge of pink/blue/green paper into the photocopier or select a different background if you have a colour printer than paying out for filters - and if there is a diagnosis, it's a way of managing in the meantime.

Sorry Jo I've just seen this. I'm not sure of the authenticity of my test but the educational psychologist who saw me in uni and diagnosed dyslexia did a quick test with coloured acetates. It wasn't so much a test as "does this look better with with over the top" and then plonked a orange acetate on the page. I think she then went through the colours until I said one was best. When I chose blue the disabled student allowance funded a few A4 sheets and I could have been tested at cost but DSA would have funded the coloured lenses.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My son was tested for it (done via the school). I was told he had it, I never believed the result (it was only one mark over the recommended level for it) so I took him for a private test who confirmed he didn't have it only for the school not to believe this!!

The school carried on using it as an 'excuse' why they would not investigate his problems with writing further.

The school test was free and the private one think I paid around £50 (done via a charity).

I also found that being a child my son just tended to pick his favourite colour overlay and it helped as it thought it would make him look 'cool'
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would certainly recommend anyone with visual problems to have a general check first before going down the route of coloured filters.

I occasionally come across kids wearing coloured filters who have never had an eyetest and have massive prescriptions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure