Options
2»

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    UKSBD wrote: »
    Does that mean that if you had a main residence with no mortgage on it you could remortgage it, use the money raised to buy a BTL and still claim the tax on the interest element back?

Yes.

It is the purpose of the loan that counts, not where (or if) it is secured.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Yes.

It is the purpose of the loan that counts, not where (or if) it is secured.

Thanks,

so moving my Mortgage is a Win - Win then.

If I get a £60k mortgage on my main residence, use that to pay off the mortgage on the house I am letting out, I can get about a 1.5% better interest rate but still get back the tax on the interest element of it :)
  • PKaurK
    PKaurK Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    It shouldn't be an issue. You need to declare the existing mortgage and state it will be redeemed upon completion with the additional borrowing. There is usually an additional information box on the application, use it to fully explain the circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure