Can’t afford to travel to hospital appointments

Options

Comments

• NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, some people think a bit more deeply than that. I wouldn't just go asking anybody for lifts, and in my case it'd be useless anyway, as I get car sick :rotfl:

Finding out why you're losing the ability to walk is the priority and is what should be thought deeply about.
  • fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    NCC-1701 wrote: »
    Finding out why you're losing the ability to walk is the priority and is what should be thought deeply about.

Well hopefully the NHS will do their duty and sort her/him out with some transport so that it's not necessary to go to random religious [STRIKE]nutters[/STRIKE] organisations to beg for lifts to and from the appointments..
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2018 at 5:28PM
    Options
    Well, some people think a bit more deeply than that.
    What do you mean by deeply?

Thinking people won't help you because you are not the same religion is a presumption and also largely incorrect.

This is too important to make (incorrect) presumptions.

I think about things deeply and I'd have sickness insurance, savings (contingency), not live in the stix and have some quality friendships (the sort of people that don't abandon you when you are sick).

I wouldn't just go asking anybody
    I wouldn't ask just anybody either.
    I'd start with trusted family and friends and then go to people who are likely to be trustworthy like charities and the church.
    Other people are grown ups (my friends are anyway) and can say no without anyone being offended. I don't know anyone that would be offended by being asked if they could give a lift in this situation.

I would be a bit inventive and if one person couldn't give me a lift due to child care reasons I'd see if another friend or family member could offer child care, but the OP seems completely helpless to the extent that it appears to be a wind-up.

I'd suggest others take heed and do some sensible financial planning and get some savings especially if you live in the stix and have no family or friends that care about you.
  • fibonarchie
    fibonarchie Posts: 975 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I would be a bit inventive and if one person couldn't give me a lift due to child care reasons I'd see if another friend or family member could offer child care, but the OP seems completely helpless to the extent that it appears to be a wind-up.

I'd suggest others take heed and do some sensible financial planning and get some savings especially if you live in the stix and have no family or friends that care about you.

blahblah.gif

You see, anyone can sit there typing about what an exemplary saver they are and how well they themselves would manage in a situation like that, but that's not helping the OP, is it.

He/she has said they have ASD, mental health problems and now they're immobilised too.

So it's time for the NHS to step in, and get them some transport so that they can get the help they need.

Next step, OP, should be your GP. Do let us know how you get on :)
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    What do you mean by deeply?

Thinking people won't help you because you are not the same religion is a presumption and also largely incorrect.

This is too important to make (incorrect) presumptions.

I think about things deeply and I'd have sickness insurance, savings (contingency), not live in the stix and have some quality friendships (the sort of people that don't abandon you when you are sick).

I wouldn't ask just anybody either.
    I'd start with trusted family and friends and then go to people who are likely to be trustworthy like charities and the church.
    Other people are grown ups (my friends are anyway) and can say no without anyone being offended. I don't know anyone that would be offended by being asked if they could give a lift in this situation.

Jeez, can you stop lecturing?
    ally.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you're unwell, it can be hard to think 'outside the box', and also with ASD it can be hard to think 'outside the box'. I don't think it's fair to suggest that the OP is somehow wrong to live 'out in the sticks', because obviously s/he wasn't so unwell when they moved there. That might be something to consider for the future, but what the OP has to deal with NOW is what they have to deal with NOW.

I do feel that the OP is perhaps boxing themselves in with their understanding of whether or not patient transport excludes those who COULD travel by taxi, if they could afford it. I wouldn't consider a taxi to be public transport.

And while I can understand the reluctance to approach the local church, I wouldn't rule it out just because you don't attend.

I'm sure there should be an equivalent of PALS, and I wonder if it is the Patient and Client Councils?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, sorry if this has been suggested- I've had a quick scan through at all the previous replies and can't see anything.

Have you tried your local authority/local council? They should have a social service department and if they can't help you they may have a list of relative agencies that could offer this sort of service.

Also- though it may be very controversial to suggest, you speak to the service in question about offering to help with expenses. They may well have a limit on how much they can afford to help with but it's not beyond reason for them to offer to refund costs assuming you have receipt and so on. I've known of some who have regular appointments who would not otherwise be able to attend that have their travel fares refunded, it usually relies on having evidence of a low income (and again, you'd need to check their threshold on that) but it does happen. Speak to the consultant secretary who should have more information on this, if not your own GP or whomever referred you would know.
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, if you have a car you can no longer drive could you sell it to raise some funds? If its a mobility car can you return it so you get to keep the mobility payment?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ripply, where about in NI are you?

I know one of our local community centres have volunteer drivers for getting people in the same boat as you to their appointments down in Belfast, a friend of mine was one of the drivers. And if that community centre ( cross community ) does, there are others

Also the Salvation Army can help and I think the Red Cross

If you were near me and it was a day I didn't work Id take you
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Ripply, where about in NI are you?

I’m in South Down. I’m right on the boundary between two different council areas which is why the community transport scheme is a problem because they won’t go out of their own area.

Thank you for saying you would take me Suki, but I know you are far up north compared to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure