Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Given that this is a green and ethical thread/board, then I would say it is extremely rude for folk to try to disrupt it constantly with science denial. Given the seriousness of the climate crisis, it would again seem rude to disrupt it with constant criticism of spending on green and ethical energy that will help to mitigate the worst of the problem, by exaggerating spending/costs and suggesting monies are spent on adaptation instead.

Attacks on RE with science denial is neither green nor ethical, so anyone (especially GA) posting such comments on here would appear to be solely for the purpose of disruption. There are other boards, such as energy where such comments could go, and possibly might be appreciated by those who remain in denial.

I hope this helps clarify the position. There is no need for you to start causing arguments all over again.

You really don't understand, do you?

It is not rude for people, on THIS internet forum, to express views with which YOU disagree. That it becomes disruptive is solely because you cannot tolerate any position other than a glorification of all things RE.

To keep matters within the decreed 2 week restriction on this thread, this article by the dreaded Nigel Farage states that the 'green taxes will hit the poor and make the rich richer'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1207979/nigel-farage-general-election-2019-brexit-party-brexit-news-green-tax-environment-china

Those contributing to this forum over the years will note that Farage appears to be quoting from articles by the Guardian's highly respected George Monbiot.
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    To keep matters within the decreed 2 week restriction on this thread, this article by the dreaded Nigel Farage states that the 'green taxes will hit the poor and make the rich richer'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1207979/nigel-farage-general-election-2019-brexit-party-brexit-news-green-tax-environment-china

Those contributing to this forum over the years will note that Farage appears to be quoting from articles by the Guardian's highly respected George Monbiot.
    To a point he's right. Like VAT adding a carbon cost to petrol, gas etc will mostly hit lower earners. As you say, it's been a known issue for a long time no

On the other hand other proposed taxes like those on frequent fliers will not. Taxes designed to deliberately hit higher earners more aren't that unheard of, nor would just funding decarbonisation through general taxation cause the effect he fears.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • Cardew
    Options
    ABrass wrote: »
    To a point he's right. Like VAT adding a carbon cost to petrol, gas etc will mostly hit lower earners. As you say, it's been a known issue for a long time no

On the other hand other proposed taxes like those on frequent fliers will not. Taxes designed to deliberately hit higher earners more aren't that unheard of, nor would just funding decarbonisation through general taxation cause the effect he fears.

Yes I agree he is right on that point.

I believe that the point he was making on the £130 is that the Feed in Tariff(FIT) is funded by a levy on all electricity consumers, and not by taxation.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    I believe that the point he was making on the £130 is that the Feed in Tariff(FIT) is funded by a levy on all electricity consumers, and not by taxation.

Ah, I see the bees are still healthily breeding in your bonnet.

As observed years ago, it's the only time I've ever noted your concern for the less well off, and as I also observed there are means of compensating, as in so many other areas of taxation and assistance.
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,002 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    FIT ended, why anyone is still wasting time discussing it, other than as a model for the future escapes me.

Also, definitely not news :D
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 December 2019 at 8:06AM
    Options
    You really don't understand, do you?

It is not rude for people, on THIS internet forum, to express views with which YOU disagree. That it becomes disruptive is solely because you cannot tolerate any position other than a glorification of all things RE.

I do understand thank you. And actually it's my understanding and acceptance of the facts that's leads to me to state that it is very rude to post AGW and air pollution denial arguments on this thread/forum.

It is not that they are expressing views that I disagree with, it is that they are expressing denial. Their views are false and the use of these false claims and arguments have over the last many decades held the World back, and massively worsened the problem.

The issue of AGW and the climate crisis is simply too important to waste time on lies (that is what science denial is), and I'm sure you'll understand why it is so rude to try to disrupt/spoil discussions with pointless arguments to try to spread these fully debunked and science denying lies.

Your long standing issue with PV/FiTs, and the reason you used to welcome all potential new PV'ers by telling them the whole scheme was immoral, was because the monies went to households and councils (social housing) whereas all the other subsidy schemes only went to the large companies, or in the case of your beloved new nuclear, the French and Chinese Governments. Effectively you only targeted the fairest scheme (or you might prefer least unfair) via a spin argument.

Several years ago you proudly described yourself as the boogeyman of the G&E board. It would be a great shame if you started that all up again just to spoil/disrupt threads with science denial, or the pointless defence of science denial based posts.

Please don't start your old games again. Thanks.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    FIT ended, why anyone is still wasting time discussing it, other than as a model for the future escapes me.

Yep, but shoehorning a point in, based on current news (the general election and the raised profile of the climate crisis (funny to note that a climate crisis needs to be raised in public conscience)), a good move going forward might be to shift the funding from energy bills to general taxation, as a way of removing this concern.

I can certainly see how the green levy on our bills is appropriate, since it 'taxes' people directly on the amount of consumption and therefore pollution they are responsible for, and of course, it should impact near enough 100% of the population/households and businesses. But a shift to general taxation would aid public perceptions.

Going forward, of course, there should be very little new subsidy needed for RE as costs have fallen so far, and so fast. Obviously, new nuclear (~2028+) will add considerable costs to all bills, and some of the off-shore wind coming on line will also be adding to the cost, but hopefully we are nearing the end of the growth in annual costs. Which is pretty nice.

Actually, before 2028 we will start to see some RE subsidies reaching the end of their subsidy terms, and whilst still generating, won't be receiving subsidies, and FiT deals will start to end in the early 2030's too, with the most expensive dropping off 2035-2037. Which is also pretty nice.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Scotland just won't stop with all this RE nonsense! Gotta love em.

SSEN submits Scots grid masterplan
    SSEN Transmission has today submitted a business plan to the UK energy regulator Ofgem for the future of the north of Scotland electricity network that aims to facilitate growth in renewable energy.

The ‘A Network for Net Zero’ plan covers the period from April 2021 to March 2026 and follows consultation with national and local stakeholders as well as SSEN Transmission's independent expert RIIO-T2 User Group.

It aims to support both the UK and Scottish Governments' net zero emissions targets and meet the needs and expectations expressed by stakeholders through five goals.
    They are to transport renewable electricity that powers 10 million homes, have 100% transmission reliability for homes and businesses, ensure every connection is delivered on time, reduce greenhouse gas emissions by one-third and have £100m in efficiency savings from innovation.

• Martyn1981
    Options
    OK, no idea how this article will be received. It's Drax (Boo), but it's RE (cheer), but it's bio-mass burning (Boo), but it's renewable bio-mass (cheer), but it's shipping fuel around the World, like what we was doing with coal (Boo), but it's reliable and has some demand following capability (cheer), but it's CCS (Boo), but it's BECCS (cheer). :think:

Have fun:

Drax owner plans to be world's first carbon-negative business
    An energy company once labelled western Europe’s biggest polluter is planning to become the world’s first carbon-negative business within 10 years.

The owner of the Drax power plant, once a coal-fired behemoth, is the first company in the world to set out plans to absorb more carbon emissions from the air than it creates by 2030.

The bold ambition will build on its work to transform the Drax plant in North Yorkshire from one of the dirtiest power stations to a renewable energy giant and a pioneer of carbon capture.

For decades the UK’s largest single power plant pumped millions of tonnes of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere by burning coal to make electricity. In recent years Drax has converted its huge coal generation units to run on renewable biomass, or wood pellets.
    “Drax’s ambition is to be carbon negative by 2030. Having pioneered the use of sustainable biomass, Drax now produces 12% of the UK’s renewable electricity. With the right negative emissions policy we can do much more, removing millions of tonnes of emissions from the atmosphere each year,” he said.

“The UK government is working on a policy and investment framework to encourage negative emissions technologies, which will enable the UK to be home to the world’s first carbon negative company,” Gardiner added.

Drax’s carbon accounting is based on emissions-saving calculations at the beginning and end of a BECCs process. It claims the project’s lifecycle would remove more carbon emissions than it produces, meaning it would effectively create a carbon-negative energy source.

The first carbon saving is recorded when the trees that are farmed to make biomass pellets absorb carbon emissions from the air as they grow. The second takes place at the power plant site as carbon-capture technology traps the emissions created by burning the wood.

• Cardew
    Options

FIT is only ended for new applications.

The scheme has approx another 20 years to run (inflation linked)

The 'news' element was the Election discussions where Farage raised the wider issue of Green Taxes where the 'poor' are subsidising the 'rich'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback