PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2018 Fashion on the Ration challenge

Options

Comments

• RicardaRacoon
    RicardaRacoon Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pip, dresses sometimes fall off the back of a lorry :-) So don't ask questions and enjoy wearing it!

Laura, like your make-do-and-mend idea with the curtains to shorts! I have a green bedsheet in my fabric stash that should one day become a skirt....

Topher, good idea with the leather polish. My sister has blood red Dr Martens boots and can't find shoe polish in the right colour, so will tell her to look for leather polish for furnitur instead.

So, I have so far used 28 points...

5 Points of a blouse
    4 points for a pair of plimsolls
    8 Points for a pair of jeans
    7 points of a non-woolen dress
    and 4 points for 200 gramms of yarn

I just about managed to hold myself back with buying a matching cardigan for my dress... But I have matching yarn, so might knit myself a cardi from that.

I will also need a pair of shoes asap, I don't have a single pair of summer shoes, donated last years balllet flats because they hurt so much and just binned a pair of open shoes because they literally fell apart... And then I will sit on my points until it is time to think of a winter wardrobe...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Oops, Dunelm were selling really good quality Rose & Hubble cotton fabrics for 1/3 of their usual price per metre, ahem...

That's blown some points... 21 coupons, oops. I had lost track earlier in the year and so had decided to start again at June 30th with 33 coupons left.

So now I have only 12 coupons for the rest of the year...!

Well...

Luckily I have nearly finished sorting out and cataloguing my entire fabric and yarn collection so I shall just have to work from that!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I'm onto the stage of crocheting the buttonbands and collar onto a cardigan I've knitted from yarn I was given as a jumper. Someone at the Sewing Group I used to go to said, "oh, you like mohair, don't you? Here, have this" and handed me a carrier bag, which turned out to have a jumper she'd knitted that she never wore as she disliked it once she'd made it (?! It was a pretty shapeless thing...).
    It takes a LONG time to unravel a mohair jumper! :)

But I now have a little fitted cardigan, with short sleeves, gathered at the top in 40s style, with a box-pleat and deep ribbed cuff ending above my elbow, and the body plain knit with a round neckline and a very deep ribbed waist.

Just those button-bands, neckband and buttons to be done...!

And NO coupons!
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,098 Forumite
    Options
    Oops, Dunelm were selling really good quality Rose & Hubble cotton fabrics for 1/3 of their usual price per metre, ahem...

That's blown some points... 21 coupons, oops. I had lost track earlier in the year and so had decided to start again at June 30th with 33 coupons left.

So now I have only 12 coupons for the rest of the year...!

Well...

Luckily I have nearly finished sorting out and cataloguing my entire fabric and yarn collection so I shall just have to work from that!

Don’t kick yourself too hard. Your stash-busting endeavours sound lovely. I’m in awe of your patience re unravelling the mohair sweater. Anyway, if you run out of coupons, at least you’ll have your stash to raid.

It’s August and, amazingly I still have 30 coupons intact! They will probably all be blown on a trip to France at the end of September, where I will visit either the Calais branch or the Bayeux branch of Un Jeur Ailleur.

In the meantime, I’m making in-roads on my most recent yarn purchases. The Regia is now my sock-in-progress, living in my handbag for Tube trips, Prom Concerts (when we sit in the gods*) and long stints in the passenger seat of the car.

You may remember that I purchased a third FUBC kit from Susan Crawford, in order to get enough of the Victoria colourway to make another Sunray Ribbed Sweater. Still not sure what I’m going to do with the 3 skeins of natural yarn, but I’ve made the body and half a sleeve so far. At the moment, I have 56g left - plus the swatch - and am beginning to worry that I won’t have enough. This yarn is a one-off, so if I run out, I’ll probably have to rework the sleeves, making them shorter.

- Pip

* I only knit at Prom concerts if I’m certain the performers can’t see me, since I don’t want to be a distraction. I use wooden needles and pause during the quiet bits. (It’s amazing how intimate the Royal Albert Hall can be when you’re sitting in the stalls, whereas up in the Rausing Circle it feels huge.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Can I suggest the natural yarn might be dyed in a microwave with food colouring? I had never done any dyeing, but started experimenting last year - it must be natural animal fibres, so silk and wool basically - I've dyed wool-blend sock yarns successfully. I only use the bright cheerful colours, so I don't get into complex mixing of colours, but if you would like to try dyeing some of the good yarn, why not dig out a bit of scrap white or pale wool and experiment? I don't know what colour you're about to run out of but perhaps you can dye some that will work as a toning or contrast, to eke out the main colour?
    Sometime over winter I'm planning some summer ankle-socks with a vivid rich vibrant jade/leaf-green and deep rich bright burnt-orange yarn which was once upon a time cream :)

I do love Regia as a sock yarn. A few years ago I bought quite a few balls of grey - and it is so useful as a backdrop for more exciting colours. I think it's become my favourite neutral!

30 coupons is amazing, with only a bit over 4 months left to go.

What's the situation with freebies? i had a set-to over some months with a big online clothing-retailer, ending with their emailing me a coupon code as an apology for their incompetence - it's been enough to order new walking-shoes for me and for Mr Nice. So do those count as a new pair of shoes, or is the fact they were 'bought' with an apology-voucher from the company going to discount their coupon-ness to some extent, completely or partly?

and my current Zauberball sock yarn is free too - that was a special offer where if we purchased a gift-card top-up to X amount, we got £10 extra free, and this is the £10 spent on yarn, only it isn't actually £10 because they gave it to us... er... more coupons, or not?!

• PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,098 Forumite
    Options
    Can I suggest the natural yarn might be dyed in a microwave with food colouring? I had never done any dyeing, but started experimenting last year - it must be natural animal fibres, so silk and wool basically - I've dyed wool-blend sock yarns successfully. I only use the bright cheerful colours, so I don't get into complex mixing of colours, but if you would like to try dyeing some of the good yarn, why not dig out a bit of scrap white or pale wool and experiment? I don't know what colour you're about to run out of but perhaps you can dye some that will work as a toning or contrast, to eke out the main colour?
    Sometime over winter I'm planning some summer ankle-socks with a vivid rich vibrant jade/leaf-green and deep rich bright burnt-orange yarn which was once upon a time cream :)

I do love Regia as a sock yarn. A few years ago I bought quite a few balls of grey - and it is so useful as a backdrop for more exciting colours. I think it's become my favourite neutral!

30 coupons is amazing, with only a bit over 4 months left to go.

What's the situation with freebies? i had a set-to over some months with a big online clothing-retailer, ending with their emailing me a coupon code as an apology for their incompetence - it's been enough to order new walking-shoes for me and for Mr Nice. So do those count as a new pair of shoes, or is the fact they were 'bought' with an apology-voucher from the company going to discount their coupon-ness to some extent, completely or partly?

and my current Zauberball sock yarn is free too - that was a special offer where if we purchased a gift-card top-up to X amount, we got £10 extra free, and this is the £10 spent on yarn, only it isn't actually £10 because they gave it to us... er... more coupons, or not?!

Dying the yarn is a thought, but it’s more that I haven’t found a pattern for it yet than the colour. I may just have solved that problem; I was browsing Ravelry this morning and found this: https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/nympheas The Ghyll is sport weight, so it shoul be perfect.

Re vouchers: I feel your pain, particularly if they have expiry dates. I have a £10 gift voucher from Celtic & Co which will expire at Christmas. It was an apology for a mix-up over an order last year. I love their sheepskin slippers, hats and boots and I’ve been eyeing up their sheepskin coats for years (and saving up), but I don’t have anything in mind for it. I will have to find something to spend it on. (Gloves? Another hat? I no longer work in a portacabin in the middle of a field, so can’t wear their knee-high ugg-style boots to work in winter anymore.)

To add to the pressure, my MIL gave me £70 of Blacker Yarn gift vouchers for my birthday earlier this month. They don’t expire. I just have to hope that it will be next year before their 4-ply Bluefaced Leicester comes back into stock.

It’s up to you how you treat gift vouchers, but I’ve always treated them as cash, not freebies, so that anything bought with them adds to the total coupons spent. I have a vague memory that coupons were issued in tranches, so you might justify the spend as raiding next year’s coupons.

Re the 30 coupons: you may have noticed that virtually all my spends this year have been yarn. (Yes, it’s my weakness.) I’m lucky, in that I have a decent wardrobe of clothes already and I’m not a fashionista. (Very few fashionable clothes from the last 20 years look good on me.) For me, the pressure to purchase clothes comes when things wear out. My favourite stretch jeans will have to be replaced - the fabric is coming apart on the front of the thighs - but I have other jeans to wear until I find a suitable replacement. (Why is it so difficult to get jeans with decent pockets???).

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I haven't spent any more - managed to make up some of the fabric I bought, so it's not lurking unused in the cupboard. I bought a top for a friend but it was from a CS so that doesn't count ... oh, hang on, I've just bought a new swimsuit. I don't really count that as 'clothing' in my mind, its definitely not a fashion item. What do you think - 4 coupons, same as a pair of cami-knickers?
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    No need to answer this, as the swimsuit has had to be sent back. Sigh. I have a full figure and a rather long torso, and it seems to be impossible to buy a sports swimsuit larger than an 18. There is plenty of plus size swimwear, if I wanted retro, plunge, uplift, cutouts or anything else fancy - it seems manufacturers don!!!8217;t think larger ladies just want to swim for exercise! I really don!!!8217;t want to go to my local leisure centre wearing a plunge front, or one with a little skirt. Coupons back in the drawer, I!!!8217;ll have to carry on with the rather old swimsuit I already own.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    This goes up to a 44" and couldn't be more straightforward and simple.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedo-Essential-Endurance-Medalist-Swimsuit/dp/B001DMKVC6

Any use?

I have the same problem - only I want one that doesn't look sporty, just a simple one, like this but without the obvious Speedo logo and racer back... luckily, I barely swim, ever...

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Thanks for finding that, Laura - I've been searching for one just like that, but didn't seem to find that one. I don't mind the logo or the racer back, in fact when I swam in the past I always bought that sort of style because there is no risk of anything falling out, if you know what I mean! I'm trying to get fitter, and swimming three times a week, at the moment I'm wearing a cossie passed on by a friend but really need a spare. You may have solved my problem, in which case those coupons will be going out again!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure