MSE News: Guest Comment: Why is it difficult to get a mortgage?

Options

Comments

• MacMickster
    MacMickster Posts: 3,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem facing banks (with a knock on effect for those wanting to obtain new mortgages) is that their previous lending policy has left huge numbers of their current borrowers at risk of default (the fault of both parties).

From Robert Peston's blog on the BBC:

"The Bank of England estimates that up to 12% of UK residential mortgages could be receiving some kind of forbearance or special help from banks at present.
    A report by the Property Industry Alliance suggests that around 80% of loans to commercial property businesses made since 2004 may be in breach of their Loan-to-Value covenant"

In other words, many are struggling o cope even with the current record low interest rates. How many more would struggle with even a modest rate rise?

If this were to lead to the predicted "tsunami" of defaults, property prices would not just weaken. They would collapse, and in turn this would terminally effect the balance sheets of banks who have already received huge government/taxpayer support. Although some might say that we should let the banks go under, but forget that this would have huge impacts on pensions etc.

It is little wonder, therefore, that banks are now reluctant to take the slightest chance that they might add to their woes, so are now adopting not just a belt and braces approach, but also keeping their hands in their pockets for added security.

At the moment you could liken our economic future to the end of The Italian Job - in a bus precariously balanced on a cliff edge. Unfortunately everyone (government, economists, Bank of England) are waiting for someone to take the Michael Caine position and come up with an idea to rescue the situation. Unlike The Italian Job, however, we will all find out in due course whether the idea brings redemption or catastrophe.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
  • illgetthere
    illgetthere Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    whilst i agree with the comments it has put people like myself in a horrible position. I bought my first home in 2002, moved in 2004 and then bought a 2nd property in 2007. I used the equity in my first home to raise a deposit (plus my own cash) to purchase house 2.

I now want to buy a 3rd but am not allowed to use the equity in house 2 to raise a deposit (plus cash again), as the criteria has changed. I have never missed a mortgage payment yet i cannot get another mortgage from anywhere.

So i am now left in a situation where i don't want to sell, but at the same time really want to buy again. I wonder if i will be in the same situation on 10 years time. Its all due to lending restrictions, not income/affordability.
    As Sceptic Peg predicts, House prices this week will be going up!.............................or down.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately everyone (government, economists, Bank of England) are waiting for someone to take the Michael Caine position and come up with an idea to rescue the situation.

The answer is simple........ time.

As time passes then the amount of debt owed by those at risk will diminish. May take a whole generation to wash through the system, i.e. 20 years or so.
  • WhiteHorse
    WhiteHorse Posts: 2,492 Forumite
    Options
    Many people seem to think that a mortgage is a right. It isn't - it's a business deal, with all that that implies.
    "Never underestimate the mindless force of a government bureaucracy
    seeking to expand its power, dominion and budget"
    Jay Stanley, American Civil Liberties Union.
  • brit1234
    brit1234 Posts: 5,385 Forumite
    Options
    Melanie Bien seems to just be moaning, rather than looking at the reasons for the restrictions. She fails to mention how a large percentage of borrowers were use self certs to falsely inflate their incomes to get properties hence the clamp down.

She does not link the loose lending to the property bubble and seems to want it to return.

I for one have no problem getting a mortgage. The reason I payed off my debts, saved a big deposit and took steps to improve my credit rating. It isn't hard.

:exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brit1234 wrote: »
    She does not link the loose lending to the property bubble and seems to want it to return.

Simply put it won't return.

The shackles that are progressively being applied to the global financial system will ensure that.

People can grumble as much as they wish, but a new era is already dawning.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How is it that not long ago a bank could offer a mortgage at 0.15% above base rate but now they seem to struggle with anything less than 2.5% above..?
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2011 at 5:48PM
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    How is it that not long ago a bank could offer a mortgage at 0.15% above base rate but now they seem to struggle with anything less than 2.5% above..?
    Becasue the cost of raising mortgage funds has fallen by less than the Bank of England base rate.

Additionally, those 0.65% loans are making big losses for the lenders.
    michaels wrote:
    May be an example is needed - as a bank which is more risky lending?

1) 50% LTV IO at 6x income or
    2) 95% LTV repayment at 1.5x income
    Simply put, the 50% interest only loan has less risk of the bank losing money. So I can categorically confirm that the 50% loan with the silly income multiple is the more sensible loan to make.
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Options
    whilst i agree with the comments it has put people like myself in a horrible position. I bought my first home in 2002, moved in 2004 and then bought a 2nd property in 2007. I used the equity in my first home to raise a deposit (plus my own cash) to purchase house 2.

You already own 2 houses. I fail to see how being unable to buy a third house is a "horrible position"!
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
  • neverdespairgirl
    neverdespairgirl Posts: 16,501 Forumite
    Options
    We didn't find it that hard, recently. We're both self-employed, and First Direct wouldn't give us more than a 1.N multiple, but our own bank, Lloyds, were helpful and it was quick and straightforward.
    ...much enquiry having been made concerning a gentleman, who had quitted a company where Johnson was, and no information being obtained; at last Johnson observed, that 'he did not care to speak ill of any man behind his back, but he believed the gentleman was an attorney'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure