How can I claim PPI from Northern Rock

Options
Hi I'm trying to see if I can claim PPI from a mortgage I had with Northern Rock which was paid off in 2004. I have a reference number but that is all. I'm not sure who I apply to as Northern Rock no longer exists. Thanks hflet.

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    hflet wrote: »
    Hi I'm trying to see if I can claim PPI from a mortgage I had with Northern Rock which was paid off in 2004. I have a reference number but that is all. I'm not sure who I apply to as Northern Rock no longer exists. Thanks hflet.

Northern Rock is now NRAM.
    http://www.n-ram.co.uk/ppi
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,383 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was the PPI sold by NR or by a broker (most NR mortgages were broker arranged)?
    Who was the provider of the PPI?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • connor08
    connor08 Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hflet wrote: »
    hi firstly you need to assess weather it was broker sold or sold via northern rock . if it was broker sold the chances are the brokers are still trading and you can go to them if not then you would need to contact the financial services compensation scheme but they usually request who sold you the insurance try and have a look on past documents - to see if there is a broker on there I wish you the best of luck I'm trying to get my ppi back from another lender have a look on line and try and find out who northern rock would have traded with there might be something on line but I think northeren rock is a bank so they might have done their own internal ppi
  • dunstonh
    Options
    if it was broker sold the chances are the brokers are still trading and you can go to them

If the mortgage was paid off in 2004, then it is a very long time before regulation started. So, no broker is going to accept pre-regulation complaints.
    if not then you would need to contact the financial services compensation scheme

FSCS is not available to the op as they are referring to a pre-regulation sale.
    but I think northeren rock is a bank so they might have done their own internal ppi

They did offer an MPPI for those that bought from them directly. They changed providers over the years but most of the time it was standalone monthly direct debit (except for some very old cases)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • nicola_white
    Options
    I took my mortgage out in 2007 with Northern Rock, it was sold to me by a mortgage advisor at Manning Staintion. At the time they told me that unless it took out MPPI then i would not get my mortgage, of course what i was told was not recorded.
    At the time my full package MPPI was with L&G which was apparently a preferred insurer with Northern Rock, not sure if it may have been the same for you.
    I did try a few years back to claim back but was told as there was no evidence the Mortgage advisor said what he did to me then i had no case. However i have just now been reading more on MPPI and reading between the lines it seems what i was sold would not have covered me anyway so i may try again
    Good luck with yours
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took my mortgage out in 2007 with Northern Rock, it was sold to me by a mortgage advisor at Manning Staintion. At the time they told me that unless it took out MPPI then i would not get my mortgage, of course what i was told was not recorded.
    At the time my full package MPPI was with L&G which was apparently a preferred insurer with Northern Rock, not sure if it may have been the same for you.
    I did try a few years back to claim back but was told as there was no evidence the Mortgage advisor said what he did to me then i had no case. However i have just now been reading more on MPPI and reading between the lines it seems what i was sold would not have covered me anyway so i may try again
    Good luck with yours

Was the advice free?

If so they are allowed to insist you buy insurance through them (the fact it was an NR mortgage and L&G policy suggests this).

If you complained back then and were rejected, your complaint will be time barred now
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I did try a few years back to claim back but was told as there was no evidence the Mortgage advisor said what he did to me then i had no case.

That is a correct response to a complaint on that basis.
    However i have just now been reading more on MPPI and reading between the lines it seems what i was sold would not have covered me anyway so i may try again

Your complaint is over. You don't get a second bite of the cherry.
  • Tcwrx
    Tcwrx Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Please help I have £1700 in a northern rock account , I got the book . I last visited them in 2009 but forgot all about account till came across my savings book. Where will I be able to apply to get my money ?????? I live in the north east (Consett) Thanks 😰😓
  • Brownowl2013
    Options
    We had a mortgage with Northern Rock in 2004 and still have the secured loan part which we are still paying off. I know there was some questions around these mortgages and whether the contract was correct etc.

My question really is how do I know if we were sold PPI/MPPI by the advisor at the estate agents when we arranged the mortgage?

Many thanks.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Look at your mortgage paperwork and/or simply ask the lender...

Could have been sold by a broker..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport