Buying from John Lewis? Think again!

Options
Just a freindly warning, if you are thinking of online shopping from J Lewis!
I ordered a new Phillips TV from the online store and was given the usual paperwork via email.
I was told that my delivery date would be today 17th Jan, and was promised that I would get a text message nearer the time of delivery. Sure enough, I was told that my delivery would be between 4.10pm and 7.10pm.
I couldn't afford a day off, but I would be home by 4.05pm, and that would give me time to expect my new TV when I got home.
However, for some strange reason, I recived a text message at 4pm, saying that "sorry we tried to deliver the TV, but there was no-one in"
This was sent at 4pm, a full 10 mins BEFORE the expected time!!
I would have never got home in time before 4pm!
I tried to call John lewis, to explain, and perhaps get the delivey guys to drop over again later on in the day, but I was left on hold for 20 mins on the phone, waiting to speak to someone. When I finally did, I was told No, they would not turn back, but I could re- shedule another delivery next Tuesday! I just cannot afford any time off, so I cancelled the order, and got J Lewis to refund me.
A word of warning, if you do order online from John Lewis, give yourself ALL DAY to await your delivery, as you just cannot trust ANY text message from the delivey guys!
John Lewis, used to be a fair and trusted retailer, but that was in the past, nowadays, they are just like the rest- they EXPECT you to be AT HOME all day for a delivery!

Graham

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    No, you are not expected to be at home all day.

The driver obviously managed to make his / her deliveries a bit quicker, shaved off a bit of travel time and got to yours TEN minutes before s/he expected.

It's not JLs fault you were not able to be home earlier.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agreed, if they arrived in the morning then I think a complaint would be in order.
    10 minutes early - to me that would be great service.....
  • moneysaver
    Options
    chippychip wrote: »
    Just a freindly warning, if you are thinking of online shopping from J Lewis!
    I ordered a new Phillips TV from the online store and was given the usual paperwork via email.
    I was told that my delivery date would be today 17th Jan, and was promised that I would get a text message nearer the time of delivery. Sure enough, I was told that my delivery would be between 4.10pm and 7.10pm.
    I couldn't afford a day off, but I would be home by 4.05pm, and that would give me time to expect my new TV when I got home.
    However, for some strange reason, I recived a text message at 4pm, saying that "sorry we tried to deliver the TV, but there was no-one in"
    This was sent at 4pm, a full 10 mins BEFORE the expected time!!
    I would have never got home in time before 4pm!
    I tried to call John lewis, to explain, and perhaps get the delivey guys to drop over again later on in the day, but I was left on hold for 20 mins on the phone, waiting to speak to someone. When I finally did, I was told No, they would not turn back, but I could re- shedule another delivery next Tuesday! I just cannot afford any time off, so I cancelled the order, and got J Lewis to refund me.
    A word of warning, if you do order online from John Lewis, give yourself ALL DAY to await your delivery, as you just cannot trust ANY text message from the delivey guys!
    John Lewis, used to be a fair and trusted retailer, but that was in the past, nowadays, they are just like the rest- they EXPECT you to be AT HOME all day for a delivery!

Graham

Please let us know where you get your tv from with an exact time slot & a free 5yr guarantee.

Moneysaver
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Love John Lewis delivery men. They deliver free to our area and always text early in the day and phone when closer. I don't think any delivery company give you exact time delivery.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure those text slots are guidelines not exact.

10 minutes early is not complaint worthy in that case.

If there is some guarantee attached to those times maybe, but I suspect not.

And 10 minutes either side does not constitute all day.

So you got the text message during the day but were already at work? What would you have done if the slot was earlier? Or have I misunderstood?

If you can't take time off work there are evening and weekend delivery options but presumably you want it both to the minute AND free. That's an extremely high expectation.

Not a fair complaint in my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport