PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wow - a cashmere cardigan for £25! Fantastic value.

It was getting rid of my cleaner when I became self-employed that led me to Kondoing. I was fed up with moving stuff so I could clean (and I realised with some guilt that I made her job a lot harder by being so untidy!). I don't think my house is as clean as she made it, but I use a lot less bleach than she did and the paint doesn't get chipped as often because I don't drag the vacuum round corners.

I think bits of it will be cleaner than when she did it and some won't. There were things she just ignored - some shelves are caked in dust - and some things she does even if they don't need it (DD's room, who is away at university, gets done every time. Even if i say leave it) and the spare room. She remakes the beds - beautifully, but i don't need her to do that. I have had many cleaners over the last 20 odd years and none have the "nous" i need to clean something if it's dirty rather than just do the same routine.

Anyhow, she is going. OH offered to do the dirty deed in telling her, but i feel i should do it.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I kondo'd my cleaner after I put three new loo brushes out in the bathrooms/loo before she came, and only one was wet after she'd been. It doesn't take much to swish round a loo and bung in some bleach afterall.

I used her as she'd been cleaning for a couple of other people in my street for years so I thought she must be pretty good, but either she did a better job for them than
    for me, or they have lower standards.

I should be kondoing a load of soft toys at the weekend. I've been waiting on my local animal charity having a fete where I know they appealed for toys last year. Better that some child loves them than they sit around gathering dust for even more years. Had a debate with myself about some Beanie Babies, as apparently some of them were limited edition, but I can't remember which ones. I'm sure there's nothing tremendously valuable and even if there is, I'll never get around to realising the money from them, so let somebody else find the joy.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Tea_Lady
    Tea_Lady Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all
    Re-cups and trophies
    My dear hubby has loads of them from years of playing cricket to a reasonable standard. None are valuable most cheap trash.
    We used to have them all out on a display unit. (long gone) now they are in a box under his side of the bed.
    A couple of them are glass engraved ones and these are now in daily use. Took me weeks to convince him that they were just glasses with a bit of writing on them and could be used as such.
    Lots of the cheap and tinny ones have gone to the tip. The small engraving from each are glued in a small photo frame so he can look at them.
    Silver plate and aluminium ones are being kept for Justin? As they may be valuable or collectable????? These were given away one a week for 'Man of the Match' cost new peanuts, value now. Nowt.
    As you can see I still have a way to go with my nearest and dearest.
    Take care all
    Tea Lady.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tea_Lady wrote: »
    Lots of the cheap and tinny ones have gone to the tip. The small engraving from each are glued in a small photo frame so he can look at them.
    That's a good idea :)

I've never been into anything that would give me a trophy :o though I have a lot of science fiction memorabilia :j I've been letting go of a lot of that too, though.

One trophy I do have - every Head Girl at my school was given a replica of the head girl's badge - I've still got mine :o and I *think* its solid silver, I can't quite read the imprint on the back, it looks like hallmarks - I'll get it tested one fine day.

I *did* kondo a solid silver ornament, which I loathed, but it was African silver, no hallmarking, so I sold it to an opportunist at a street market on the south coast. That process was quite interesting in itself!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all
    Went to see a really joyful film last night sing street it was set in Dublin in 1985, about a young lad who changed schools and liked a girl so formed a band so she would be in their videos it really was a great story the acting and sound track were spot on. If anyone gets the chance go see it. We had free tix via a thread on here-took ds2 and his friend they also loved it.

I saw Sing Street last night too in a preview! Great toe-tapping music.

I haven't done too well lately with the decluttering but kondo'd a jelly bean dispenser last week. It went to the Alzheimer's Society for their Carers Day in June so I might profit in a small way as well.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Real Life : uuuurgh!!!! No kondoing :(

Trophies: as a child I won trophies for something I took part in and they were various sizes always displayed on top of the piano and as they were sliver always need cleaning :(:( Winning the trophies also meant there were medals and certificates involved - I still have the medals in a box but the certificates long since gone. As we live where local and and national comps - individual and group - are part of growing up - Eisteddfod so DDs have grown up winning medals etc for sports art music etc and we have MANY - TOO MANY !! I have persuaded the DDs to part with all the plastic tut trophies and just keep those that mean something and we have lots of photos to back up all the 'wins':)

Cleaner: I had a cleaner once. Just gone back to work after maternity leave and a friend who appeared to be 'struggling' offered to clean twice a week. She did a wonderful job and it suited us - I had no idea how she could get everything so clean neat and tidy!! After about 3 months I came home to a note saying she was off to Greece for 3 weeks and wouldnt be cleaning again - it transpired that she wasnt so hard up after all and I had paid for her holiday :mad: never spoke to her again and never had a cleaner again :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Libellula84
    Libellula84 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Phew caught up with the thread now!
    Just back from a lovely week (well if you call being trapped in a villa with 15 other people lovely that is!) In Ibiza.
    Kondoed a summer dress straight out of my case as my OH pointed out that although he was a fan of my bum, the dress had obviously shrunk and wasn't really suitable for public wearing :rotfl:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 May 2016 at 5:15PM
    Options
    :) Have just done a chazzer run with a trolley of Stuff, some of which came from the parental home last Weds. Such a good feeling to off-load that which has become unnecessary and to know that it'll get back into circulation and raise money for a good cause.

Am continuing to kondo me and, if I lose another pound or so, I will go from being obese to merely fat - bring it!:rotfl:

Have been Out the past two evenings, and am weary, plus the flat is in a bit of a state, so will stay in tonight and rest. I may tidy. Or I may watch one of my freebie DVD movies, got a stash of the kind you get off newspapers which I brought up from my parents' place.

Some chazzers here get around not being able to sell them (officially) by putting them out in a basket for a suggested donation, which is very affordable. Spoke to Mum and she'd told me that it was such rubbish on TV they'd watched one of the video mountain and now that can be donated - they have a hybrid player which can take VCR and DVD and there are some charity shops in their town which still take videos, not all do these days.

Loving reading about all your hard-work and breakthroughs, and boggling at the cleaner anecdotes.:D
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    As the clutter clears, head space is revealed.

So Kondo'd & re-homed huge double sleigh bed to Daughter's friends. He (of said friends) is a computer expert and managed to completely fix something that has been causing me huge stress for months, I cannot tell you how helpful this has been to me. I may be back in business!

Three more sacks of clothes from flat to daughters new home. Bedding cupboard emptied, sorted, some given to daughter, all that isn't sparking joy, piled for car boot and rest rolled up.

Other spare bedroom here a bit of a state but I'll crack on with this as I go along.

Tired but happy tired.

Daughter getting right back on track with her college work despite all the disruption and distress last few weeks have been.

Confession - I'm a lover of Cast Iron pans, love them and collected them for years, however I've been slowly getting rid and have decided my last four can be swopped for one of a particular colour and that should do me.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Triker wrote: »
    As the clutter clears, head space is revealed.
    :T This is the essence of it. Well put.

As I was spending some sunny early May days rootling around in the BCofD, I reflected at the time that there are many better ways of spending glorious days.

Not intending a pity party as this is how I elected to spend that time, no one forced me or guilted me into it. It even has a self-serving component; one day, all this will be my inheritance, so whatever can be sorted now is less work further down the line.

But how much time over a lifetime is spent doing tip-runs when you could have been picnicking, checking out storage solutions instead of chucking out items (responsibly, of course)?

This evening, I've spent some time doing something very fiddly with small Stuff from the BCofD to turn it into readily saleable items for the chazzer. Nearly 100 of the little blighters which should be an easy money-maker for the charity and get some useful items out into the world.

I have to keep reminding myself whenever I am tempted to hang on to useful things in excess quantities to probable usage, that useful isn't the same as used and that good things can die in storage and be rendered useless. That hanging onto excess out of greed and/ or insecurity isn't a responsible way to live.

:D And now I've done it, I shall award myself a cuppa and two squares of lovely high-cocoa dark chocolate. Because, to paraphrase the shampoo floggers, I'm worth it.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills