Ex has stopped paying child maintenance.

Options
... well, he stopped in March actually, but we haven't had a penny since. He was violent and abusive while we were together, he left me, I'm trying to divorce him but he's ignored the petition(s), he's seen the children twice in four months and now doesn't pay.

The child maintenance service had just put a Detachment of Earnings order on him which was due to start in September. I couldn't bloody wait! We've had to cut back loads. But now he has apparently gone self employed, and the CMS have confirmed that he is no longer in employment. They've admitted that it will be very difficult to get any money from him now, and if they do it will take a very long time.

I'm gutted. Is there anything I can do?

Comments

• jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    at least they are being realistic in what they tell you. it will be difficult.
    you can try to push them to get the case to their legal enforcement department as it could be the threat of legal action could help -they can now get a black mark put on his credit file which could affect his ability to get credit and has been a successful method in other S/E cases.
    you should also, if possible, keep CMS updated as to his work status and if he owns/buys his own property or if he has any valuable assets that they could get the bailiffs to seize
  • Amyfirework
    Options
    Thanks Jim.

Unfortunately a mark on his credit file won't bother him in the slightest - he's also in debt with at least 8 different companies/tax credits etc (they sometimes send letters to my house). He had his car repossessed. I can't imagine him being able to save up to buy a house so assets are extremely unlikely. So frustrating!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure