Csa

Options
Hi all im new to this so bear with me. Basically I have a 5 month old son,me and his Mum split up a few months ago and I have been paying her around £40-50 a week as I have been off sick for a while. I recently turned to work and today I have had the the csa on my back as well.

just have a few questions like

1 if I stop paying the money to her directly and go through the csa will she lose her income support? or will the csa payments be on top of that?

2 I am on a net income of £240 a week and the csa calculator shows I would actually be paying less through the csa anyway so would she be better off keeping things as they are?

I know I should really be talking to the ex about this but we are not exactly on speaking terms atm so any info on this would be helpful thanks.

Comments

• Rebekka_2
    Rebekka_2 Posts: 989 Forumite
    Options
    monkeyy wrote:
    Hi all im new to this so bear with me. Basically I have a 5 month old son,me and his Mum split up a few months ago and I have been paying her around £40-50 a week as I have been off sick for a while. I recently turned to work and today I have had the the csa on my back as well.

just have a few questions like

1 if I stop paying the money to her directly and go through the csa will she lose her income support? or will the csa payments be on top of that?

2 I am on a net income of £240 a week and the csa calculator shows I would actually be paying less through the csa anyway so would she be better off keeping things as they are?

I know I should really be talking to the ex about this but we are not exactly on speaking terms atm so any info on this would be helpful thanks.
    Firstly whilst on IS she is supposed to declare any maintenance received and will only be allowed to keep the first £10 per week, the rest s deducted off her benefit, she will only be £10 per week better off however you pay her, when going through the CSA you will be paaying them 15% of your income for one child unless you have any other children or living with any other children you are responsible for, if she is keeping this money without declaring it to IS then she could be in serious trouble when found out, IS is a means tested benefit and any income received is taken into account
  • hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    In your situation, I would be tempted to pay the figure the CSA suggest since its lower than what you do pay. I'd also pay via the CSA so its all on record.
  • monkeyy
    monkeyy Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply Rebekka:T so really she would be better off not going through the csa and keeping things as they are then? I think maybe she has gone down this route to get at me but maybe she will end up shooting herself in the foot. as currently she has £56 a week plus my £40 wheras if the csa get involved she will only have £56 a week +£10?

At the end of the day I just want as much as possible to be going to my beatiful baby son:D

cheers in advance
  • Rebekka_2
    Options
    monkeyy wrote:
    Thanks for the quick reply Rebekka:T so really she would be better off not going through the csa and keeping things as they are then? I think maybe she has gone down this route to get at me but maybe she will end up shooting herself in the foot. as currently she has £56 a week plus my £40 wheras if the csa get involved she will only have £56 a week +£10?

At the end of the day I just want as much as possible to be going to my beatiful baby son:D

cheers in advance
    If she is on IS she has to give your details to the CSA (unless good reasons given, ie- abuse etc) I know its a hard situation but if your paying through the csa she will only recieve £10 per week of this but i class it as you are providing more than the goverment is
  • monkeyy
    Options
    hobo28 wrote:
    In your situation, I would be tempted to pay the figure the CSA suggest since its lower than what you do pay. I'd also pay via the CSA so its all on record.

Yes although me and the ex are not on great terms I still want the best for my son. However am a bit wary of relying on the csa online calculator as to how much I will pay.
  • monkeyy
    Options
    Rebekka wrote:
    If she is on IS she has to give your details to the CSA (unless good reasons given, ie- abuse etc) I know its a hard situation but if your paying through the csa she will only recieve £10 per week of this but i class it as you are providing more than the goverment is

If she opts out of the csa route doesnt her income support benefit get reduced to £40 a week though?
  • Rebekka_2
    Options
    monkeyy wrote:
    Yes although me and the ex are not on great terms I still want the best for my son. However am a bit wary of relying on the csa online calculator as to how much I will pay.
    The new system is 15% for one child, 20% for two, 25% for three, unless you are providing for other children where they allow the above off your income first

Yes her benefit will be reduced of up to 40% if good cause cannot be shown
  • krashovr10ad
    Options
    ++
    The new system is 15% for one child, 20% for two, 25% for three, unless you are providing for other children where they allow the above off your income first

If you're lucky enough to still be on the old system when they think it's ok to take upto 33% for a single child - but I'm not going to harp on about the CSA, dodgy computers and the like...

Either way she's going to lose out because she's on benefit - she'll either get the £10 extra or have her benefit reduced if she declares what you pay...

And that helps the child how exactly..? If she was working and getting WTC she'd be able to keep all the money you pay her - at least those the words I'm sure I heard coming out of the CSA respresentative I met last...

++
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport