Taking second pension @ 55

Options
Hi I have two pensions and would like to totally cash in my second pension which has a value of £20,000, I know I can get £5,000 tax free. But how much tax do I pay on the £15,000, I am currently having the summer off work and with PA £11,800 on any earnings or pension draw down I might extend my holiday till April 2019.
But I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that I would have to pay increased tax taking my pension at 55.
Thanks I’m advance

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You add the £15,000 to the rest of your earnings in the tax year in which you draw it and are then taxed on the lot as if you had 'earned' it all, so the £15,000 from your pension would be taxed at your marginal rate. You only pay more tax because your income has gone up (in your case by £15,000), not because you are drawing a pension at 55.

Details of tax bands etc at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/tax-rates
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,510 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    And dont forget your annual allowance will be reduced. Currently to just £4,000 (but subject to further reductions potentially). For someone in their 50s, a £4,000 limit could play havoc with their retirement planning.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure