Physical Job - Should I be working out to strengthen my back?

Options
Hi everyone,

This isn't so much about money saving but rather my longer term health. I work in the building trade, carry vast quantities of heavy plasterboards into 2 and 3 story houses almost daily, I'm 21 and been doing it a few years, but this week after working in 3 story houses for a few weeks my back is really aching in a way I've not felt it before. It's a different kind of ache to muscle ache.

While I have a physical job, I don't do anything else for fitness outside of it but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should be exercising in a non-strenuous way voluntarily, in order to strengthen the muscles in my core and back, so that they can cope with my work better.

I always thought my body would get used to it and I'm best not exercising out of work in order to reduce the total amount of stress it takes, but now I'm wandering whether I should be working out to be fitter and so it can cope better and not be so beaten up at work.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? I'm only 21 but want to make sure I'm doing everything I can now to ensure I don't sustain injuries or damage my body and back for the longer term.

Thanks a lot,

Comments

• deadendwaterfall
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everything right, I'm in a similar position with my factory job having to lift lots of heavy packaging in a short space of time, and I go to the gym at least twice a week.
    :o
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Rather than just an issue of muscle building and strength, it might be worth a few sessions on technique and muscle use to make sure you are using your muscles in the most efficient way and lifting things in the way that is as kind to your body as possible.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pilates will strengthen your core muscles , as will yoga

I'm too lazy and self conscience to go to a class and way to much of a klutz to teach myself, so what I use is my Wii and do the balance exercises

I also have a very physical job and at my age I've got to keep my back as good as I can
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if it would help to go to a physiotherapist / sports massage type of person, who might be able to give you some advice on the type of movement / stretching you should do to protect your back.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would stretch muscles before you start work just as you would for a gym workout.Also a gym belt may help.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You may find this article from a few days back interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/14/exercise-is-good-for-you-unless-its-part-of-your-job

I only did physical jobs as a student when I was your age (around 40 years ago!) but I still play sport. Never had major injuries as I've done a few different ones, and I think the variety of exercise and movement helps. Sometimes it's the repetitive nature of the work that makes it worse: I still remember being roped in from my work in the site office and canteen to help unload an 11000 brick artic by hand: no hiabs in those days!
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you been on any training courses with your work, I.e. manual handling? They will show you the right and wrong way of lifting and carrying things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure