2»

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 September 2017 at 8:29AM
    Options
    My initial comments are:
    1) The budget needs to balance and at the mo, your expenditure is higher than your income.
    2)The council tax seems high. Are you paying arrears? If so this will fall into your BR as will this years CT so you wont be paying that until April 2018.
    3)Your internet and phone costs are also very high, you need to look at these - they are part of the overspending problem. Look at your contracts and consider if some of them can be defaulted and allowed to fall into BR as debts and look for cheaper alternatives. You should be able to half these costs which might help will reducing your work to one job.

Try working out what you can afford on one job income - what's the 'other' income from?
  • scottie7275
    scottie7275 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2017 at 10:36AM
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Council Tax - I haven't paid anything this year yet and have made an arrangement with them to pay from 1st November. I didn't realise that this could go into BR. Does this mean that this year's CT is written off?

Internet - this is high because of where I live. Out in the sticks means companies charge more.

Mobile phone - I am contracted until 2018. If I default on this does it go into the BR?

Sky TV - Again I am contracted. Does the OR accept this as a normal expense or is it seen as a luxury?

I am really grateful for all the advice.

Scott
  • TheGardener
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Council Tax - I haven't paid anything this year yet and have made an arrangement with them to pay from 1st November. I didn't realise that this could go into BR. Does this mean that this year's CT is written off? YES

Internet - this is high because of where I live. Out in the sticks means companies charge more.

Mobile phone - I am contracted until 2018. If I default on this does it go into the BR? YES - but get yourself a cheap PAYG/monthly sim before you default the contract

Sky TV - Again I am contracted. Does the OR accept this as a normal expense or is it seen as a luxury? The overall cost of your Internet/TV/phone/mobile are very high - the OR will be fine with a basic package but sports/movies etc package - probably not

I am really grateful for all the advice.

Scott

The OR will probably have an issue with the holiday amount too - you could put your food/groceries a bit.
  • scottie7275
    Options
    One last question, do I open a basic account before applying for BR?
  • luvchocolate
    Options
    Hi yes open a basic bank account and get all your direct debits transfered and running, less stressful one big thing sorted.
    I agree on the holiday amount being too high, keep it around £20 and up your groceries.
    Your council tax will be wtitten of for this year and you will start paying again in April.
  • Tulip18
    Tulip18 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all 
    I’m after some advice, I have had a debt management plan for about 4 years and I’m about £34,500 in debt , I have recently contacted stepchange to discuss other options and and have been told my other options are an Iva or bankruptcy, I’m absolutely torn in deciding what to do. 
    I have no assets only a car worth about £1300 which I would need as I work unsociable hours, would this be taken away from me in bankruptcy? 
    I rent a property but if I ever had to move would I have issues being able to rent privately again? 
    I have another issue which is I suffer from an eating disorder and and overeating related to other psychological issues(this is how it’s described on my medical records) also other digestive issues. 
    my DMP budget has always allowed around £450 for household expenses (groceries and housekeeping )   for this reason. I’m a single person , I know this sounds high but it is what I spend ,  Would this be an issue with an iva or ipa in bankruptcy? 
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi please start your own thread 
  • Tulip18
    Tulip18 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, I realised after I commented , I’m new to this site I did try to delete it but couldn’t work out how to.... sorry I have started a new thread straight after I realised. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback