PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    Make do - I just realised my DH ate all the bread last night so I am making do with crackers for breakfast.

Mend - Well, I'm trying to "mend" the extremely dirty laces that went with the garden sails, I have them soaking in a bowl of hydrogen peroxide. I'm hoping to get them back to white!

Minimise - I was reading a book on health yesterday and you are not supposed to have any noise or light in your room at night so I have minimised the bedroom clock. I woke up last night and noticed how loud it was. Took the battery out and will keep it just in case.

I'm also using the end of a lovely soya candle someone bought me.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have to take giving away books in stages too. I had very few books as a child, but I absolutely loved to read.

Another book lover here who's attempting to (slowly) cull the book stash. Sometimes I find it almost physically painful, even when I know they'll be loved and appreciated elsewhere! Silly me. :o There are two though that will never go as they came from DM who was gifted them by her oldest brother in 1941. As a child I always looked forward to an annual at Xmas and on Saturday mornings DF (if he wasn't working) would take me to the library.

Wednesday2000 - I never used to mind or even notice clocks with audible ticks but after many years with DH (who hates them with a passion) I do notice them now! :D

Spent this afternoon updating food cupboard inventories and it's highlighted just how much I've used up over the last few months. There's still more than enough in there though, so heaven only knows how it all used to fit in! :rotfl:
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too have heaps of books and really struggle to part with any. OH has pretty much put a ban on me buying books :rotfl: as there just isn't any room. I'm a very frequent visitor at our local library.

Sorted through my clothes at the weekend and have 2 bags to go to the charity shop. They have currently been minimised as far as the car boot but at least they aren't cluttering up the flat and I'll drop them off next time I'm in town.

Made lentil soup tonight which used up a few bendy carrots that have been in the fridge for weeks. So that's lunches for the rest of the week sorted. Had sausage, chips and beans tonight for tea, there's some beans left over so it will be beans on toast tomorrow :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    YorksLass wrote: »

Wednesday2000 - I never used to mind or even notice clocks with audible ticks but after many years with DH (who hates them with a passion) I do notice them now! :D

I think I did sleep more soundly with it out of the room!:)
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Morning everyone, I’m another one trying to sort my bookstash out. I’m terrible with books whenever I go to a charity shop I come home with 4-6 books each time. I’m the same with DVDs too. Minimised some old magazines so far this morning into the recycling bin.

I’ve got a balcony and on it I have two ceramic pots I got from gumtree,
    they were looking a bit bare, my nan gave me some crocuses from her garden and they now look nice in one of my pots along with some mini carnations from last year, now there is some nice colour. One pot will be a mini herb planter, my Grandad gave me some cuttings of our family mint so that’s now in the corner of my balcony. So I didn’t need to spend any money so far which is good.

Nothing mended so far today but I’m sure something will crop up.

Lunch will be soup from the cupboard with butter soldiers and I will have the rest for lunch tomorrow. Tonight is homemade batched vegetarian shepherds pie with gravy and a bag of microwave veg.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon All - Buiderdaughter - you beat me to it with the Panne tone bread & butter pudding! That's the only reason I buy it.
    DH never gets rid of books as he re-reads them. I pass them on either to friends or the CS. I do have a small amount that I'll never part with. My great grandmother's Bible, a Bookano book of my mother's and a pop up book that my granddaughter loved (will be passed to her when she has a child)
    JackieO - I've been roped in to make poppies for a local church - they need 6000 - think they may struggle but I hope not.
    Been busy with RL this week - only minimising and making do is from freezer stocks & not mended anything - ah well there's always next week!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • evuka
    evuka Posts: 120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :hello: Hello :hello:

May I join you? Just found the thread yesterday and still reading through but it looks to be very motivating!

My MMM statement is:

make do

Mostly foodwise, using up everything I have and relying on my stocked cupboards mainly. Also craftwise - I like papercrafts, making cards and I'm an avid filofax decorator so trying to make do with what I already have and not splurging on new items (mental note: check if I'm still subbed to the Use up your stash before buying new thread)

mend
    Maintaining my clothes, accesories and items within my home, repair or get items repaired instead of buying new ones. Maintaning social relationships and friendships (hopefully not much need for mending but rather "keeping up"!)

minimize
    Physical possessions, digital clutter, spending, distractions and time robbers (faceb00k, I'm looking at you :embarasse). I'm also trying to minimize my body size if you see what I mean :rotfl: and stress in my life. Oh, yeah, and emails (with around 9k unread emails in my mailbox :eek:)
    6mo EF: £ /£
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 £
    NSD: Jan /
    Sell 100 items /100
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Much minimising happened today! I cleared out lots of university-related paperwork that I no longer needed, and hubby decluttered lots of random paperwork which had been sitting in drawers for years.

Make do - had a jar of pesto in the fridge which needed using so I batch-cooked some chicken/vegetables/rice for lunches for next week and used the pesto instead of a sauce.

Mend - I didn't really have anything to mend, and I'd probably rely on hubby to do stuff like that!

Two out of three isn't bad though, right??
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Welcome to the thread evuka :hello:

Yummy chicken curry for tea tonight which I made yesterday. Used coconut milk instead of cream to make it dairy free. Used the rest of the coconut milk to make pancakes for brunch this morning.

Put a YS gammon joint in the slow cooker earlier which will be for tea tomorrow night. Unfortunately some of it has already been minimised :rotfl: just making sure it tasted ok :rotfl:

No mending here although doing a shift tomorrow for 2nd job which will help mend my bank balance :D

Hope everyone is having a good weekend :)
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been unsubbing from various emails recently but find that they still come through and sometimes the unsub link is broken - does anyone else have these issues?

misstara - we are the same here with gammon, once you start you can't stop.

I am going to have a No Buy March so I will be making do with everything, the only exception is things to decorate DD's room.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family