PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And on a more prepping note, I am tasked with sourcing a Beekeeper's EDC kit:
    Aspivenin suction tool,
    Tweezers with magnifier,
    Anthisan cream &
    BENADRYL Allergy Relief pills.

Trying to find the lot at the cheapest price!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bob - My OH had a bad dose of athlete's foot back in the 1970s and the GP told him to soak his foot in a solution of potassium permanganate every evening :D

It definitely helped his foot, though it didn't do a lot for the bowl he used, which ended up permanently pink.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,675 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    D'you know, after the summer shows have finished, I'm going to track down some potassium permanganate and have a go... I had the 3 month course of tablets a while back, but had to come off it when I turned yellow & developed a month-long headache. Not good; discoloured toenails suddenly seemed a small price to pay.

An interesting footnote (I'll get my coat in a mo) - according to my cousin, who runs a small vineyard in southern France, the wines produced when the grapes are trodden by people with discoloured toenails are exceptionally good. I think I'll take his word for it...
    Angie - GC May 24 £232.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Reminds me of the time I tested bath bombs on the RV, and saw a pair or blue feet standing beside the bed and thought he was dying of a heart attack.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Dig for Victory antihistamines come in two forms in Lidl at 14 tablets for 89p

They do Loratidine 10mg and Cetirizine Hydrochloride 10mg

Cetirizine Hydrochloride branded Benadryl, Pritieze and Zirtek
    Loratidine branded Clarityn

Both are second generation antihistamines and therefore are non drowsy but in my experience (child 9 year old) Cetirizine is more lethargic causing than Loratadine and DD feels that Cetirizine is quicker to act but they both get her through the day.

Hope to Help
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,930 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Chemist 4 U have really cheap anti histamine. I get about 6 months supply at a time for under a tenner.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am instructed to get the benadryl "because its fast acting" & you can take several small doses. (That almost anything taken with either vitamin C or coffee tends to become fast acting is just one of those inconsequential bits of random general knowledge that need not be taken seriously.)

I suppose that makes sense if you have just been stung & anticipate further stings at some time as you carry on doing things to the hives. (Although please do not ask me to explain beekeeper logic. I suspect it of being a Calling.)

The antihistamines I looked up as second generation non drowsy tend to be the one a day & splendid against hay fever rather than a short but thorough chunk of bee venom. I did wonder about getting a fluid where repeated very small doses were easier but was told firmly not to "add risk". (The beekeeper for whom this kit is intended being moderately clumsy.) For some reason pills are thought to be more manageable by a swollen stung hand.

The best news of the day is that the French manufacturers of the aspivenin device, if approached suitably, will send out new "tips" for the suction, which effectively doubles the lifespan. So our anti-bite kit will get a makeover that ensures these vital pieces do not get lost a second time, ahem.

Bathbombs were Forbidden by my father - his view is the bathtub should be white before & after each bath. Daughters indulging were therefore required to clean out the bath, after, which rather took the gilt off the gingerbread. Our beloved mother, having soaked in something for her well-being, was soundly scolded when he stepped into the bathtub & slipped, there being a residual slippery coating... (And her stuff was on prescription!)
    Surely if the *feet* are blue, the heart has ceased for Some Time? I wouldn't know, classic crime emphasising the pallor of the deceased rather than more useful bits of where the blood may pool, or whilst still breathing "face red, raise the head: face pale, raise the tail." An unbecoming Americanism, but sufficiently memorable to help get the basics for shock right...
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I only eat at most six slices of bread per day, which does not tally very well with the 11 slice loaf my breadmaker produces. I have it on overnight, and the bread is too crumbly to slice until about 6pm. Then it seems to be stale at lunch the following day, but I still have loads to eat.

Anyone got a routine to keep their bread fresh?
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I only eat at most six slices of bread per day, which does not tally very well with the 11 slice loaf my breadmaker produces. I have it on overnight, and the bread is too crumbly to slice until about 6pm. Then it seems to be stale at lunch the following day, but I still have loads to eat.

Anyone got a routine to keep their bread fresh?

Why not slice it and freeze half?
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Dawn,

I have tried freezing bread, and it works fairly well. Just I think I would be getting the half loaf out to defrost as soon as it was frozen. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure