Making the most of solar

Options
13»

Comments

• pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Silly question perhaps but what would run them at night - battery I presume but all sounds quite expensive to save perhaps £50 per year
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pinnks wrote: »
    Silly question perhaps but what would run them at night - battery I presume but all sounds quite expensive to save perhaps £50 per year

Perhaps, and I really haven't thought this through, but a chest freezer, with some extra insulation added to all sides (avoiding the heat exchange parts), turned up to super cool, so it gets through the nights.

Less generation in the winter, but less heat too.

Not sure this is wise, safe nor economic, but throwing it out there!
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Often wonder how good that would be for the electronics. Motor is intended to be turned on and off but the rest of it? No idea but others may know.:think:
  • ard123en
    Options
    My other reason for having second off grid solar is to play with DIY power wall and other electronic projects
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    When I lived in Italy the specs for freezers always included their 'autonomia' in hours, presumably on the basis that if you're out in the sticks with OH lines your supply might be more unreliable, and you wouldn't want nonno's jars of home-made passata to defrost. A commonly quoted time I recall, was 14 hours for chest freezers.

In sailing yachts with a similar issue they use eutectic plates (?), and the one I had experience of was certainly efficient enough in chilling down freshly caught tuna!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure