Cancelling Flybe tickets - Tax redemption

Options
Apparently, if I cancel flight bookings with Flybe, 'Tax Redemption of Air Passenger' duty incurs a fee of £25 per person 'per sector'.

Can anyone explain what 'per sector' means? In my case the flights are simply an outward flight and a return two days later between two UK airports.

Best case would be that 'per sector' in my case means £25 per booking (hence frees for three persons would be 3 X £25 = £75).

Worst case would be that each individual flight would be a sector, so the fees would be double that = £150.

I have a strange feeling that I know the answer to this. Can anyone clarify?

Comments

• k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 January 2020 at 4:34PM
    Options
    A 'sector' is a flight i.e. if you were to fly Manchester - London - Paris that is 2 sectors whereas Manchester - Paris would be 1 sector

ETA how much APD did you actually pay ? looks like one of those cases where the admin fee will wipe out the refund
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    A 'sector' is a flight i.e. if you were to fly Manchester - London - Paris that is 2 sectors whereas Manchester - Paris would be 1 sector

ETA how much APD did you actually pay ? looks like one of those cases where the admin fee will wipe out the refund

I was afraid that would be the case.

APD per person (per booking) is £26.00 GB plus £36.20 UB = £62.20 So a total APD of £186.60 for flights that cost a total of £491.30 (inc. tax).

I'm not sure what the GB and UB against each tax figure means. Flights are between UK and NI.

So, if you are correct, the most refund I would get is £186.60 - £150 = £36.60

Gulp!
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    APD per person (per booking) is £26.00 GB plus £36.20 UB = £62.20 So a total APD of £186.60 for flights that cost a total of £491.30 (inc. tax).

I'm not sure what the GB and UB against each tax figure means. Flights are between UK and NI.

According to Exeter Airport...
    Airport Passenger Duty (APD displayed in a booking as GB), is the amount of tax that the UK Government levies from each passenger for their travel. There are different rates of APD depending on the ticket types and journey type (ie EU/non-EU).

Departure tax and service charges (displayed in a booking as UB), is the amount the departure Airport levies for the use of their amenities and services. This amount will vary from airport to airport.

link:https://www.exeter-airport.co.uk/fees-charges/

Flybe refund policy mentions refunding APD - which is GB. So they might not refund UB.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    According to Exeter Airport...

Flybe refund policy mentions refunding APD - which is GB. So they might not refund UB.

Thanks. So it just got worse :rotfl:

Ah well.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You will have to hope that they go bankrupt, in which case you are likely to be able to claim what you paid from your credit card.
  • JohnB47
    Options
    You will have to hope that they go bankrupt, in which case you are likely to be able to claim what you paid from your credit card.

Yes, but I don't really want that - people actually losing their jobs etc. I'd rather lose my money if it came to a choice I had to make.

Just one of those things.
  • Plasticfreemama
    Options
    It's really annoying but yeah i think all the administrative fees basically wipe out most of the refunds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure