OK, Here goes, tell me what you think

2»

Comments

• JohnWinder
    JohnWinder Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Don't have a full answer to SoR risk (if it means running out of retirement money before running out of life), but a couple of observations:
    If you have enough at the start to sustain a certain % withdrawal each year, then keeping to that % in down times eliminates SoR risk, but it might mean eating cat food in bad years. It's withdrawing the same amount of money in bad years that does the damage.
    The Bogleheads have a variable percentage withdrawal spreadsheet that asks you each year or so in retirement to re-assess your life expectancy, assess your assets and make the necessary withdrawal adjustments. It has the advantages of working towards running out of money as closely as possible just as you die, as well as giving you the assurance that your financial future is accurately mapped out so that you can avoid being spooked into doing something silly during bad downturns (because you know it's all going to work out).
    Lastly, markets do tend to recover, but not always within a year. I think the French stock (accumulation!) market took 100 years to recover in real (not nominal) terms after WW1. An argument in favour of diversification.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    LHW99 wrote: »
    With regards to long term care and answer #9, we are wondering if we would each need a "long term care" SIPP pot, since a SIPP is owned by one person, it would presumably have to be used on that person's care, possibly leaving the survivor with nothing?

If your husband predeceases you, then you can inherit any remaining funds in his SIPP so don't worry too much about whose name things are in. Yes there will always be a possibility that one of you will use up all the care budget leaving nothing left over for the second one, but would that be different if you put the money in separate pots?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    If your husband predeceases you, then you can inherit any remaining funds in his SIPP so don't worry too much about whose name things are in. Yes there will always be a possibility that one of you will use up all the care budget leaving nothing left over for the second one, but would that be different if you put the money in separate pots?
    As my OH has a 4x larger SIPP pot, our intention is to use that initially for drawdown, until both pots are approximately equal, then drawdown equally from each, so that any residue can be inherited either way, and if one is emptied due to care needs, the other remains for use of the survivor. Not a perfect solution, if one requires care early on, but the best we can think of now.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I’m pretty sure we are going to engage the services of an IFA in the not too distant future as I am just not reassured at the moment we are on the right track.

At first glance your general plan looks OK and simple and not really needing an IFA.
    However as the SIPP is cautiously invested you need to be sure that charges do not mean that you are not even keeping up with inflation .
    True Potential quote an average charge of 1.16% ( do you know what your charges actually are ?)
    An IFA would probably charge you about 0.7% but probably move you to a cheaper pension ( note the word 'probably' though )
    A 40% equity fund in a mainstream SIPP would cost in total between 0.7% and 0.4%

Over 30 years that difference could have a significant effect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure